Post-Game Talk (GBU): #01 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- I Like Eich, Part One

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I did not watch game. Did watch highlights including reversed goal. Observations:
1) I hope that's the longest and closest review Sabres involved in all season.
2) the ott dman raised his arm on the carry-in, but if I'm backing up on a pp carry-in I'd raise my arm on any close carryin attempting to sell the initial call.
3) I expect every NHL team defending a 5-on-3 pp to challenge every goal scored in order to potentially keep their #1 PK unit on with extra rest.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I thought ROR had a horrid game and think this is going to be a theme if he is expected to be a number 1 center. Not sure where it came from that he can be a number 1 center, but thought it was BS from the minute he got that deal.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Evander Kane was really good, does he make some plays that annoy me? for sure...but that might be one of the hardest working skill players in the NHL. He never stops moving his feet. As long as he stays healthy a 30-40 goal season is going to happen.
There's a lot to criticize about Kane (one-dimensional, off ice issues), but he is without a doubt one of the hardest working forwards and aggressive fore-checkers in the league. That's what he was for us, and I'm sure he will be like that for Buffalo.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I don't care what was good bad ugly or indifferent, except for Lehner's injury.

It's 1 game. Out of 82.

The first opening game in years where the mood has changed from pessimism to optimism, even if the Sabres don't have a break-even record. Can that be appreciated for a day or two???

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I thought ROR had a horrid game and think this is going to be a theme if he is expected to be a number 1 center. Not sure where it came from that he can be a number 1 center, but thought it was BS from the minute he got that deal.

He's only going to be a "number 1" center until Eichel is ready for that job.....and that might be sooner rather than later.

ROR will be our #2 center going forward....no one expects anything else.

Russ Tyler

Jul 9, 2011
HSBC Arena

Yeah it's looking like Eichel's line will be the top line real soon.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I don't think it's a fare description of what happened. He's got him on a short leash and also struggled to find a place for him.

Reinhart was among the team's best forwards through two periods, I thought. He barely skated in the third. I think that's worth questioning.

Agreed that he had a bad game. Disagreed that this is what you can expect from him moving forward. Additionally, he isn't being counted on to be the No. 1 center long term. He's a placeholder until Eichel is ready.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
He's only going to be a "number 1" center until Eichel is ready for that job.....and that might be sooner rather than later.

ROR will be our #2 center going forward....no one expects anything else.

I expect him to be our 1st line RW in less than 24 months...

Kane-Eichel-Oreilly - everything line
Moulson-Reinhart-Ennis - offense line
FLargensons - shutdown line

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I expect him to be our 1st line RW in less than 24 months...

Kane-Eichel-Oreilly - everything line
Moulson-Reinhart-Ennis - offense line
FLargensons - shutdown line

Awesome name :laugh: Also, loved this line last night. I think they were the only line that was consistently decent through the game.

More to your point, i wouldn't mind seeing what Kane-Eichel-O'Reilly could put together as a line. Not sure i like the idea of "losing" a center, but it's not like ROR wowed anyone with his skills at the faceoff dot.

Edit - scratch what i said about ROR at faceoffs. He wasn't great, but he seemed to pull it together as the game went on. On that subject, anyone know where you can find faceoff stats?

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Awesome name :laugh: Also, loved this line last night. I think they were the only line that was consistently decent through the game.

More to your point, i wouldn't mind seeing what Kane-Eichel-O'Reilly could put together as a line. Not sure i like the idea of "losing" a center, but it's not like ROR wowed anyone with his skills at the faceoff dot.

I love that they were able to move Girgensons and Larsson around situationally. Larsson taking D zone draws on multiple lines, Girgensons taking ozone shifts on multiple lines.

I love both of them... Our forward depth in talent is ridiculous

I love having multiple centers on our top line and our shutdown line. It's an embarassment of riches.

love love love

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Reinhart was among the team's best forwards through two periods, I thought. He barely skated in the third. I think that's worth questioning.
Certainly, but my question is what line would you put him on with a short bench? You're not just putting him out there, you are taking someone off. Bylsma was trying to get Kane/Eichel/Girgs out there as much as possible while trying to get Moulson/ROR/Ennis going.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I thought Eichel looked great last night, I think he takes the calder over McDavid. I'll be watching a lot of sabres games this year, hope you guys make the playoffs and get a run going.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Certainly, but my question is what line would you put him on with a short bench? You're not just putting him out there, you are taking someone off. Bylsma was trying to get Kane/Eichel/Girgs out there as much as possible while trying to get Moulson/ROR/Ennis going.

Well, through two periods he was better than both Moulson and Ennis.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I love that they were able to move Girgensons and Larsson around situationally. Larsson taking D zone draws on multiple lines, Girgensons taking ozone shifts on multiple lines.

I love both of them... Our forward depth in talent is ridiculous

I love having multiple centers on our top line and our shutdown line. It's an embarassment of riches.

love love love

Agreed, but both of them have to improve their FO-abilities big time (Larsson started taking FOs, but he didn't do a good job and Girgs took some after that - he didn't do either). In general our bottom-6 is pretty weak on the dot. ROR and Eichel both took 50%, which is an okay result.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
The Ugly: The review process and allowing it to be used for an off-sides call.

That is going to have to change. You can't be reviewing off-sides in my opinion.

What happens when a goal is scored after the play is in the O zone for 1 minute...you then challenge to say off-sides.

SO now what? The last minute of the game is negated and you go "back in time" a solid minute to where the game was 1 minute ago?

Hockey is not an episodic game like baseball or football. It is about flow.

This is a HORRENDOUS idea.

With offsides being allowed, it also creates a "well, he scored, but now we have to wait and see if someone was a half inch too close to tell offsides". That will lead to players playing a different way to ensure they're not offside.

It seems like it was not thought out at all with some glaring deficiencies like the team that's been cycling for a minute and scores...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Well, through two periods he was better than both Moulson and Ennis.

I agree, but when you have a line that shows it was going like the KEG line, and you have MRE line as your 2nd option for offense(which I disagree with), and you're down a goal, Those guys will get more chances, while others get icetime cut

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I agree, but when you have a line that shows it was going like the KEG line, and you have MRE line as your 2nd option for offense(which I disagree with), and you're down a goal, Those guys will get more chances, while others get icetime cut

I think we're almost saying the same thing. In a roundabout way I am implying the MRE line should have been broken up. Reinhart could have slotted in somewhere on the second line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad