Post-Game Talk (GBU): #01 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly -- I Like Eich, Part One

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Reinhart was one of the better forwards through the first two periods. I could see if you were talking about how he was late to the spot on that one play, or how he sometimes had trouble clearing the zone due to being unfamiliar with playing RW.

But Cowen is 6'5" 240. His job is to knock people over. We're playing hockey. People who run into him are going to fall.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I thought Reinhart played a quiet, effective game. Could've been in alone for a shot if he was 1 second quicker on that Eichel cross-pass.

He was likely benched, not by play, but by Bylsma rotating KEG and MOE every other shift, with some legwand,larsson,x combos in dzone faceoffs during most of the 3rd.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Confused by not many webers listed in Ugly category. Dudes worst player in show

You kind of already know Weber peak skill level is a marginal 6/7/PB D man that should only see -10 minutes a game against the other team's bottom 6.

Also it was already pointed out. His D partner was worse.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You kind of already know Weber peak skill level is a marginal 6/7/PB D man that should only see -10 minutes a game against the other team's bottom 6.

Also it was already pointed out. His D partner was worse.

If Weber is with a decently smart PMD he can log some bigger minutes.

Don't pair him with an idiot in his own zone (Franson) or another stay at home d-man (Jorges)

That's a recipe for disaster.

Weber-Pysyk or Weber-Bogo would probably both be fine pairs.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If Weber is with a decently smart PMD he can log some bigger minutes.

Don't pair him with an idiot in his own zone (Franson) or another stay at home d-man (Jorges)

That's a recipe for disaster.

Weber-Pysyk or Weber-Bogo would probably both be fine pairs.

Agreed. I'd like to see Weber-Pysyk.

Weber-Risto was good last year, Weber-Sekera was good back in the day.

Weber-Franson is the kind of pairing that immediately goes in the "I really really really didn't want Bylsma" vault.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I expect him to be our 1st line RW in less than 24 months...

Kane-Eichel-Oreilly - everything line
Moulson-Reinhart-Ennis - offense line
FLargensons - shutdown line

I don't like those lines for a few reasons. I think Kane and Eichel play a similar possession game and both need the puck. I'd like to see Kane with Reinhart. O'Reilly with Eichel works. Also leaves Larsson as the 3rd center.

xxx - Eichel - O'Reilly
Kane - Reinhart - xxx
xxx - Larsson - xxx

Leaving Moulson, Ennis, Girgensons, and Foligno as available wingers. Eichel and O'Reilly could use a bigger, space creating forward. Kane and Reinhart could use the same. To create the third line you mentioned, Ennis and Moulson don't fit. Add in some prospect graduation in a few years:

O'Reilly - Eichel - Fasching
Kane - Reinhart - Girgensons
Foligno - Larsson - Bailey/Baptiste

Chemistry and style, I like those lines a lot better. Goes back to my point a few pages back. Do Ennis and Moulson fit on this team in a few years?

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I don't like those lines for a few reasons. I think Kane and Eichel play a similar possession game and both need the puck. I'd like to see Kane with Reinhart. O'Reilly with Eichel works. Also leaves Larsson as the 3rd center.

xxx - Eichel - O'Reilly
Kane - Reinhart - xxx
xxx - Larsson - xxx

Leaving Moulson, Ennis, Girgensons, and Foligno as available wingers. Eichel and O'Reilly could use a bigger, space creating forward. Kane and Reinhart could use the same. To create the third line you mentioned, Ennis and Moulson don't fit. Add in some prospect graduation in a few years:

Chemistry and style, I like those lines a lot better. Goes back to my point a few pages back. Do Ennis and Moulson fit on this team in a few years?

Your first line makes no sense, have you not been paying attention to every Bylsma interview since July?

O'Reilly was brought in so that Eichel won't be overwhelmed. The only time they will be on the ice together is if we are down by 1 with 2 minutes to go or if it's the power play.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Your first line makes no sense, have you not been paying attention to every Bylsma interview since July?

O'Reilly was brought in so that Eichel won't be overwhelmed. The only time they will be on the ice together is if we are down by 1 with 2 minutes to go or if it's the power play.

Going off what he was responding to...it looks like how he sees it in 24 months....

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

xxx - Eichel - O'Reilly
Kane - Reinhart - xxx
xxx - Larsson - xxx

I've made the same "Kane and Eichel aren't a good match" argument myself.

I watched them look lost together in the preseason

And then I also watched them take over an entire period last night

Going forward, the tape speaks

Regardless, my post was about Oreilly moving to wing, and the lines were mostly about showing the obviousness of that move

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

xxx - Eichel - O'Reilly
Kane - Reinhart - xxx
xxx - Larsson - xxx

That's a solid way of laying it out in my opinion, far more succinct too than I've so often managed ;-)

I'd suggest taking your first layout with XXX and putting it beside a list of written in ink of likely locks going forward year to year, this would be the "list of guys we're stuck with good or bad".

Pool #1

Eichel (indefinite lock)
Reinhart (1yr to definite, depending how things go this next half season?)
Kane (3r-4yr lock, hard to imagine anything shorter given new acquisition)
O'Reilly (6 yr lock, hard to imagine anything shorter given new acquisition/contract extention)
Moulson (4 yr lock, he's got the NTC after all, and really hasn't shown to have trade value anyway)
Gionta (2 yr lock, unless then can get to him retire in the off season)

Then in pencil consider guys who are likely to be kept for an assortment of reasons... I'd call this the list of "awesome to keep riches, but these guys have the most trade value too..."

Pool #2

Ennis (team draftee and young vet with middle 6 offense, but fills much the same spot as Moulson, albeit it younger and with more heart - also without a NTC though)
Foligno (team draftee and young vet with bottom 6 physical and middle 6 serviceable)
Girgensens (team draftee and just a sophomore but still proven middle 6, potential top 6, versatile thru line up and positions
Larsson (team draftee and just a rookie/sophomore with proven middle 6 potential, unknown ceiling, versatile thru line up and positions)

Then with a pencil that has one of those flimpsy erasers on the top end, calling this list the "other guys who could possibly fill gaps, depending who comes and goes from the awesome riches list"...

Pool #3

McGinn (new acquisition, no lt investment, maybe offers similar role to Foligno in the middle 6, though a bit older with health questions now)
Legwand (new acqusition, not lt investment, older vet, steady bottom 6 but declining, possibly fills more gaps if Gionta wasn't already around for the aged vet elements)
Des (young career bottom 3 grinder offers a physical element more or less needed according to how the rest of the lines flush out)
McCormick (replaces/replaceble by Legwand, younger but with a health issue, yet possibly more physical than Legwand)

Then you could do a third list with the prospects who may/may not ever play in a Sabres uniform.

Me, I comparing the pool lists, I figure at least -

1] one of Moulson (Pool #1) and Ennis (Pool #2) are gone
clearly that means Ennis and his lack of NTC + greater trade value for his youth

2] one of Foligno and McGinn are moved
I'd suspect McGinn if possible, as favor should go to the younger team draftee

3] one of Des and McCormick are gone
presumably Des as he ought to be more tradeable given McCormick's health issue, and of course if McCormick fully recovers/reintegrates, then he fills that 4C gap Legwand is holding

After that.... Really depends upon the development, versatility and trade values of Reinhart, Girgensens and Larsson. Dump one of Moulson & Ennis (Ennis, sadly) and there's a top 6 opening for one of those three guys... Dump one of Foligno or McGinn and there's a middle 6 opening for one of those guys...

Just thinking/writing "aloud" though...

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I've made the same "Kane and Eichel aren't a good match" argument myself.

I watched them look lost together in the preseason

And then I also watched them take over an entire period last night

Going forward, the tape speaks

Regardless, my post was about Oreilly moving to wing, and the lines were mostly about showing the obviousness of that move

True on bolded. However, I'd like to see how those two play out over more than just one period and one game.

I agree with O'Reilly eventually moving to wing. I'm not sure about the overall line matches with Ennis and Moulson over the long haul.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

You're missing the point. Of course O'Reilly was brought in so Eichel and Reinhart didn't carry the weight of centering the top two lines.

My entire post was about the longer term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad