GDT: 01/19/17 - Coyotes @ Wild - 7 PM CT / 3 AM Finland - FS-N - Emergency GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No Dumba is a terrible comparison. Riley wiffed on clearing the zone and wiffed behind the net to even push the puck to the forward. It's not mental he can't physically(strength/condition) stay in his own zone for more time than a competent D man in the league.

Because he wiffed on a couple pucks? Suter has done that many times... do you question his conditioning too when he wiffs on a puck?

Have you actually WATCHED Reilly play since November?

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Because he wiffed on a couple pucks? Suter has done that many times... do you question his conditioning too when he wiffs on a puck?

Have you actually WATCHED Reilly play since November?

The reason he wiffed is because his he was hit in his own zone and could have cleared the puck multiple times. Don't get me wrong I like the idea of reily as a prospect but i'm not as sold on him yet until he can prove me wrong. Maybe see if he still has value( trade for a C/F vet?)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
No Dumba is a terrible comparison. Riley wiffed on clearing the zone and wiffed behind the net to even push the puck to the forward. It's not mental he can't physically(strength/condition) stay in his own zone for more time than a competent D man in the league.

Dumba did something similar how many times in the first 100 or so games he played in the NHL? Suter whiffed behind the net within the last month. Same with Spurgeon, and Brodin. You could make the exact argument for Dumba even this year in a lot of games this year.

If you want to go back a little further he's like a young Burns. A mess defensively, but is all go in the ozone.

Reilly has less than half a season total of NHL games and they have been sporadic when he does get them. The kid needs to learn how to play in the NHL, the things he can get away with in college or the AHL he won't be able to in the NHL. It's the same learning curve most young players go through when they can't just rely on their size or skill to get them out of trouble.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Reilly has had some poor moments, but i thought he showed undeniable talent last year. In other words, he's got the physical tools, has considerable skills, but just has to put in together in the NHL. His forte will never be as a crease clearing, lower the boom defensive stopper, i don't think, but who thought Spurgeon would develop into an excellent defensive Dman? Who thought Spurgeon would even survive the NHL?

Reilly can skate, handle, and pass the puck. He just has to make sure he passes to the right team.

BTW, I missed the fight. Did Stewart pound Crouse? Please tell me yes, because what he and the two others pulled on Koivu in the second was cowardly ****.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Reilly has had some poor moments, but i thought he showed undeniable talent last year. In other words, he's got the physical tools, has considerable skills, but just has to put in together in the NHL. His forte will never be as a crease clearing, lower the boom defensive stopper, i don't think, but who thought Spurgeon would develop into an excellent defensive Dman? Who thought Spurgeon would even survive the NHL?

Reilly can skate, handle, and pass the puck. He just have to make sure he passes to the right team.

BTW, I missed the fight. Did Stewart pound Crouse? Please tell me yes, because what he and the two others pulled on Koivu in the second was cowardly ****.

Stewie pounded him, wasn't even close. I think Stewie's jersey took more of a beating than Stewie got.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The reason he wiffed is because his he was hit in his own zone and could have cleared the puck multiple times. Don't get me wrong I like the idea of reily as a prospect but i'm not as sold on him yet until he can prove me wrong. Maybe see if he still has value( trade for a C/F vet?)
Ok, but what does any of that have to do with listening to the Iowa coaches on who deserved to be called up - Reilly or Oloffson, because that is what this is ultimately about, isn't it?

TaLoN is spunky tonight :)

tumblr_mszn6nKju41ro8ysbo1_500.gif

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Is OEL just not that good (for him) this year, or is his team seriously dragging down his game? I've only seen him a few times, but haven't been impressed.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Stewie pounded him, wasn't even close. I think Stewie's jersey took more of a beating than Stewie got.

Good. Though the way Stewart is playing, do we have to get a protector for him now?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Good. Though the way Stewart is playing, do we have to get a protector for him now?

If Schroeder falls off, Gabriel probably gets called back up. Unless we get Philly drunk and get Simmonds for a couple of draft picks...

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Talon I'm quite sure GMCF and the Wild coaches decide that, with input from the AHL staff. Don't get me wrong I would get an extended look at reily too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Talon I'm quite sure GMCF and the Wild coaches decide that, with input from the AHL staff. Don't get me wrong I would get an extended look at reily too.

GMCF and BB both said they talked to the Iowa coaches about who deserved the call up, they said Reilly, and surprise, they called up Reilly.

Yes, the GM and the coach decides, but they took the input to heart from the Iowa staff before they made the decision and called up the guy the Iowa staff suggested in the first place.

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
I'm so glad we got him back. :yo:

He's a unique player. Hockey is the greatest sport and fighting only makes it better. Meanwhile what was Dallas thinking letting Gologoski go? Other than Big Buff, nobody I'd love to see sport Wild.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What's the short-list answer to the PP TOI this game, did Boudreau just want to test some new faces?

Pommer took Brodin's spot on the Koivu PP unit. Koivu PP unit looked good (2 PPG's) so he kept sending them out.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Didn't think I would miss Brodin this much this soon. Five periods now and I've had more wtfs than in last 20 games combined. Probably not but it feels like that.

Reilly needs to play. He's shown the potential last season when he was miles ahead of Dumba in the own zone and moving it up the ice. And to honest not too much behind in the o-zone either. I guess where he is now is just them rounding out his game. Many times that looks like a step or two backwards in development.

His skating got somehow weird during the summer though. Don't know maybe he hit the gym too hard or something. I hope he's gotten back to a better stride.

Let Suter babysit Dumba (yes that is still the term I would use and last night proved it once again) and pair Spurge with his buddy Scandella again. Reilly then being the puck mover with Folin getting his back should hopefully be ok for a 3rd pairing.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Some beautiful goals, overall an ugly game. Nino is on a tear! But it's mind boggling that Pomz has earned so many points lately. Guess he's ok when not shooting. Didn't like him on a powerplay.

Parise and Haula are are enigma right now. Some good effort, maybe good zone entry or a few, then a terrible decision. Their line is a puck cemetery. But that's exactly why they must be kept together and maybe Poms too. Let 'em dump 'n chase, don't disturb the other lines. Coyle must be at least mildly injured, not looking like himself. Folin-Prosser pairing didn't look very convincing. You need someone with the puck moving ability in every defensive pair..

But, 2 points! Hopefully Boudzie and the team are able to stop bleeding soonish. Before it becomes a trend.

E: Added some.,

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
2 points is 2 point & we've scored some terrific goals lately our team defense has been fugly. not impressive win when the 1st place team barely hangs on to beat the last place team. 3-4GA per game wont cut it in the playoffs. parise needs a rest. dubnyk needs something , hes just not tracking the puck well lately. even BB said parise & coyle were in a bit of a slump. i know we cant win em all so maybe i should expect a cool down after the streak.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Dubnyk is going through a shaky stretch....let's hope he can get things back on track quickly.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Anaheim, Nashville, Dallas, St. Louis to finish out before the break (4 games in 6 days! 3 divisional). But we should be fine since we have no problems against actual contenders ;)

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Didn't think I would miss Brodin this much this soon. Five periods now and I've had more wtfs than in last 20 games combined. Probably not but it feels like that.

Reilly needs to play. He's shown the potential last season when he was miles ahead of Dumba in the own zone and moving it up the ice. And to honest not too much behind in the o-zone either. I guess where he is now is just them rounding out his game. Many times that looks like a step or two backwards in development.

His skating got somehow weird during the summer though. Don't know maybe he hit the gym too hard or something. I hope he's gotten back to a better stride.

Let Suter babysit Dumba (yes that is still the term I would use and last night proved it once again) and pair Spurge with his buddy Scandella again. Reilly then being the puck mover with Folin getting his back should hopefully be ok for a 3rd pairing.

I like it, but I'm pretty sure that BB ( or Stevens) will only do that out of desperation. It's very weird how Reilly looked this year. I thought he was a wonderful skater both for the Gophs and last year, but he looked constipated earlier in the year.

It's amazing how much the D has been exposed with Brodin out. I'm hoping that the D will adjust. Folin has proven, IMO, that he has no top4 upside, and is a #5/6...sorry NickSchultzGuy, but that's the way I see it.

Dumba still talented but unreliable. Reilly similar, unless he has steadied his game down in Iowa. Scandella needs to shine, now. We need him to be a rock back there.

Parise and Haula are meh, but at least Haula is winning FO's and playing sound defense. He's playing like an OK 3rd line C, and at the price we're paying him, he's still a good deal. Parise is getting paid 7+M, and he's looking like a less refined Jason Pominville, and I don't mean the 2008-9 Jason Pominville. I'm kind of stunned at what I'm seeing from him.

I would rather see Scandella on the PP pojnt than Poms, but I'm guessing that they want to save his minutes for even strength and PK. He's getting the treatment that Brodin used to get from Yeo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad