GDT: 01/14/17 - Wild @ Stars - 7 PM CT / 4 AM Finland - FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I actually can't really believe the Kuemper talk. 34 saves and only 1 out of the 4 goals that you could possibly put on him.

Seems like scapegoating for an entire team that relaxed 10 minutes into the game.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if you were only grading kuempers performance tonight it wouldnt be an issue , hes just not a cup contender reliable backup goalie. the team blew a 4G lead , not very impressive. i thought last game mtl outskated us. maybe were just tired. oh well who's next? (hawks)

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I actually can't really believe the Kuemper talk. 34 saves and only 1 out of the 4 goals that you could possibly put on him.

Seems like scapegoating for an entire team that relaxed 10 minutes into the game.

Watched the highlights. He didn't look exactly sharp, which has been a common theme for him in most of the games he has played this season.

That said, I didn't watch the whole game.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Games like this happen all the time with Kuemper in net. Most of the time you look back and think most of the goals aren't his fault, but at the end of the day, it's always Kuemper in net when these types of games happen. Maybe it's the team in front of him. Maybe not. But it's too common to call it a coincidence.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Kuemper has given up 3+ goals in 7/9 of his starts this season.
4+ goals in 5/9 of his starts.

The only teams he's held to below 3 goals is the Coyotes and Senators, 2 bottom-10 scoring teams (Arizona #29, OTT #22).

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ugly game after the first 10 mins.

1st GA- 4th line getting caught deep, and then Folin misplayed the pass. He was in position too.
2nd GA- another bad rush. Spurgeon played for the shot and not the pass on the 2-1.
3rd GA- On Kemps, but damn the initial shot was right at his head. I'm a little impressed he got his glove on it.
4th GA- bounce off of our Suter's leg.

Only put one GA on Kemps. Poor guys has Pommer's luck sometimes. Tonight the team left him hung out to dry. Vancouver game all of those goals were re-directs/deflections type of goals.

Haula line is not on the same page, maybe not even the same book. I'd like to see a Nino/Grao/Pommer line for a game. Maybe Nino will feed off Grao's energy. Either Pommer or Haula or both has sucked all life out of Nino.

4th line forgot they need to play defense too.

Dumba/Scandella on the ice to close the game is a rarity to see. Brodin/Folin didn't have a good game.

Think they need to change up their PP entries a little? The dropback pass to the 5th man is getting predictable. I liked the Dumba passes to Coyle in the slot on the first PP.

Hey we won a game where the other team put more pucks in the net than we did! :yo:

2 outta 2 (4 of 4 points) so far in this 3 games in 4 days stretch. 4-0-1 in January so far. Tied for the Division lead with games in hand. :handclap:

Beginning of the season I guessed they would be 1-3-1 for these games and fighting for the WC spot. :(

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Gheesh, that kind of game. I'm all exhausted even though didn't see this live. Didn't know the score though.

First it was too easy, then Stars woke up and Wild got caught. Happy for the win.

Funniest thing, I was very close to change my prediction to 5-4 last night. Ended up leaving it as it was, 5-0. Well, can't always win :help:

Two points still!

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah, I think Boudreau is trying really hard to reignite that Poms/Haula/Nino line from last year that tore it up down the stretch, but they are just not clicking together this time. Nino looked a lot better with Staal and Coyle.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I think it's pretty clear that Kuemper needs to be waived at this point.

This team is in a spot where they can't throw away points and they can't be expected to ride Dubnyk hard as the busy stretch of the season approaches. Home ice advantage for this team would be huge. A backup's job is to come in and play a quiet game. You're asked to just not get your team beat. Kuemper is not capable of that sort of game and puts undue pressure on the team when games should be in hand. Allowing a couple goals over the course of a game after your team jumps out 4-0 should be expected. But regardless of what was happening around him, making the team go out and find a winning goal late in addition to asking players to give up their bodies to prevent anything getting through as the game closed is inexcusable.

I don't know what the answer is at this point. Stalock's numbers aren't good but who knows what's all going into them. At this point I don't see the harm in seeing what you have in him so you can find out whether or not you'll have to make a move for another backup. One thing is obvious, they can't go forward with Kuemper.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I think it's pretty clear that Kuemper needs to be waived at this point.

This team is in a spot where they can't throw away points and they can't be expected to ride Dubnyk hard as the busy stretch of the season approaches. Home ice advantage for this team would be huge. A backup's job is to come in and play a quiet game. You're asked to just not get your team beat. Kuemper is not capable of that sort of game and puts undue pressure on the team when games should be in hand. Allowing a couple goals over the course of a game after your team jumps out 4-0 should be expected. But regardless of what was happening around him, making the team go out and find a winning goal late in addition to asking players to give up their bodies to prevent anything getting through as the game closed is inexcusable.

I don't know what the answer is at this point. Stalock's numbers aren't good but who knows what's all going into them. At this point I don't see the harm in seeing what you have in him so you can find out whether or not you'll have to make a move for another backup. One thing is obvious, they can't go forward with Kuemper.

True, but you have to go into this knowing that if you waive Kuemper, he will never be able to play here again (which I guess is the point). He's such a head case that getting waived probably wouldn't be a wake up call like it is with some guys. And I don't know that any options we have right now are any better than him as a backup. Also, I'd hate to see CF blow assets on acquiring a different backup.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
True, but you have to go into this knowing that if you waive Kuemper, he will never be able to play here again (which I guess is the point). He's such a head case that getting waived probably wouldn't be a wake up call like it is with some guys. And I don't know that any options we have right now are any better than him as a backup. Also, I'd hate to see CF blow assets on acquiring a different backup.

Have to do it at this point. Need to see what Stalock can do for a game or two. If he's not up for the challenge, they will need to spend a mid-late rounder on a backup. They will need to give Dubnyk games off in that crazy stretch coming up. Kuemper has proven he's not up for that.

Kuemper is done in this organization regardless. UFA at season's end. He can go back to Iowa because surely no one will claim him.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Watching the highlights:

How on earth did the score-keepers not give Niemi a save on the Zucker shot to start the game?

1st GA Kuemper had no chance
2nd GA Kuemper goes down thinking the pass is a shot (spurgeon in his way), can't get over to the back-door man. Not exactly his fault but not a good look either.
3rd GA: bad rebound, puck hits his glove and then goes right into the slot.
4th GA: weird deflection, but Kuemper is sitting in the middle of his crease on a shot from the point, not getting out to the top of his crease.

Man things can get hectic in our own end with Kuemper, so many rebounds and so few swallowed pucks when needed. Kuemper made some good saves, like a point blank shot with a few minutes left in the game, but he's just all over the place.

keeneyedobserver

Mar 5, 2014
As our outgoing president would say.....

Have to do it at this point. Need to see what Stalock can do for a game or two. If he's not up for the challenge, they will need to spend a mid-late rounder on a backup. They will need to give Dubnyk games off in that crazy stretch coming up. Kuemper has proven he's not up for that.

Kuemper is done in this organization regardless. UFA at season's end. He can go back to Iowa because surely no one will claim him.

With all due respect, who the hell died and made you the goalie coach?

Kuemps hasn't been stellar, but he's come through in big spots before, and he just hasn't had a chance to play much with the brilliance of Duuubs. He's only 26, had terrific junior and minor league credentials, and is fully capable of a resurgence.

I agree that he probably goes after the season because it's one of the few places we can save some salary for next year, but don't forget we have to sign SOMEBODY to an extension to meet the expansion draft let's

With Dubie doithe heavy lifting, let's support this guy....we might need him.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
On the first goal, I thought Kuemper needed to be more aggressive, instead he was far too back in the crease. I'm not pinning 100% of the blame on him for the other goals, but I think Dubnyk probably would have made a couple of those saves.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I dunno about waiving Kemps. All I want from the backup is getting a 1p per game from his starts. 9g, 12p earned when he starts. They my not have been pretty wins, but it is a team sport.

None of the goals against were soft goals imo. The team defensively let him down a lot last night. It's not like he was Niemi bad 3g on 2 shots.

He was a little slow on the first 2, but he played them correctly. D-man takes away the pass and it's 1v1 shooter/goalie. The passes got through and good quick shots were made. How many times have the Wild missed the open net, bobbled the puck, whiffed completely on the same type of play this year? Yet we blame the guy who misses the net then.

I do agree we need a better backup goalie. But I don't think it happens until closer to the TDL when the standings are clearer. We might get an average starter for cheap that's on an expiring contract. Or a good backup in the same situation.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
With all due respect, who the hell died and made you the goalie coach?

Kuemps hasn't been stellar, but he's come through in big spots before, and he just hasn't had a chance to play much with the brilliance of Duuubs. He's only 26, had terrific junior and minor league credentials, and is fully capable of a resurgence.

I agree that he probably goes after the season because it's one of the few places we can save some salary for next year, but don't forget we have to sign SOMEBODY to an extension to meet the expansion draft let's

With Dubie doithe heavy lifting, let's support this guy....we might need him.

Sorry, but this is not a one time thing. Kuemper has been consistently unreliable for years now. I just am not seeing him get any better than he was three years ago. That is disturbing, to me.

It's not a matter of giving him hugs to cheer him up after he lets in a bad goal.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sorry, but this is not a one time thing. Kuemper has been consistently unreliable for years now. I just am not seeing him get any better than he was three years ago. That is disturbing, to me.

It's not a matter of giving him hugs to cheer him up after he lets in a bad goal.

And what was the bad goal last night?

Last edited:

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
It isn't necessarily a matter of weak goals. It is that most NHL goalies make a few saves a game on good scoring chances that easily could have been goals. Kuemper isn't getting those.

We need to score at least four goals to win with him in the net. This isn't a one time thing. It has been going on for years. It is why we got Dubnyk in the first place. Kuemper was good when he first came up, but he has shown no sign of regaining that form over the last few years. Maybe he will somewhere else, but it is time to look for a new backup.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
And what was the bad goal last night?

From a goalie coach POV, the one with the enormous rebound. Granted, the shot was at his head and he did a good job of not getting his bell rung, but when you leave a rebound, you either make the second save, or the first save doesn't mean squat. A goal off of a rebound is typically considered a bad goal, as tenders are taught to either smother the rebound, or to deflect it to a safe area (corners, or in a bad situation hard back out toward the blueline so that the shooter can't do anything with it). Kuemper regularly leaves rebounds in dangerous areas. That's my main gripe about him. You'll notice in his good games, he doesn't leave big rebounds (in that crazy game he had against the Kings a couple years ago, I don't think he left ANY rebounds).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad