Post-Game Talk: 0 for 46

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I actually thought McLeod looked good last night. Physical presence, won some puck battles down low. Looked like the old McLeod pre-Kronwall.

There's just one problem: He isn't near consistent enough to warrant a spot in the lineup. I don't care if McLeod never gets into another fight for the rest of his career, all I want him to do is get the puck in deep, get some speed in on the forecheck and bang defenseman. This team doesn't do enough of that. Given the fact that McLeod is one of the players who actually has more than enough ability to do that, he needs to be consistent at it.

I don't mind McLeod on the PK because he's pretty aggressive in the zone, something Cliche isn't and sells out to block shots, but if he wants a regular shift, he needs to be more consistent. If not, he should be replaced with someone who will either do his job better or who will provide an offensive spark like Hishon or Rendulic

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
wow, just noticed parise had 19 shots against us combined.. LOL

That's more than the Avs whole team had in the first game.

They definitely have to simply things way down. Roy's strategy of quality over quantity can work, but only if the team is clicking well with each other. They're clearly out of sync and fighting it with their execution.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So what are we looking at here? A close low scoring game tomorrow followed by an offensive explosion against the Leafs, only to be letdown by Berra? Sounds about right with the way things have been going.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I hope Roy picks his top 6 and stays with it. How many different combinations have we seen in the first two games now? It just screams panic and isn't fair to any of the players either.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
As I said in another thread, Colorado needs to figure out something at center. My opinion:

O'Reilly - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - Briere - MacKinnon
McGinn - Talbot - Tanguay
McLeod - Cliche - Everberg

MacKinnon and O'Reilly thrived on the wing last season - keep them there until that fact changes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So what are we looking at here? A close low scoring game tomorrow followed by an offensive explosion against the Leafs, only to be letdown by Berra? Sounds about right with the way things have been going.

I'm not like their chances against the Bruins. They're fired up from getting shut out themselves at home.

I think the way a team like the Avs would have success against them is to play their normal up tempo skill game, but they're not capable of playing that way now. I don't think the Avs will have much success playing a dirty style against the Bruins who are build to play that way, and defend against that.

Never know though. Maybe the Avs sort out their issues before the B's do, and we sneak one out. Or maybe Rask is off his game.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I hope Roy picks his top 6 and stays with it. How many different combinations have we seen in the first two games now? It just screams panic and isn't fair to any of the players either.

We'll probably see him change it a few more times still. Might be the same tomorrow but when Mitchell comes back, they'll need to adjust again.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Does anyone know who will be in net against Boston and Toronto? I'm going to the game in Toronto and really want to see Varly in!

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Oh fans is one thing, I'm talking about the media perpetuating it. And I don't think Yeo ordered a hit on someone. Though when you employ someone like that you know something will come up eventually but I don't blame Yeo. A coach wouldn't be so stupid to say things like that if they had plans anyway.

Ah sorry I misunderstood. Agreed when you employ Cooke you know what comes with it.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
As I said in another thread, Colorado needs to figure out something at center. My opinion:

MacKinnon and O'Reilly thrived on the wing last season - keep them there until that fact changes.

I agree with ROR as winger for Duchene.
I disagree with MacKinnon being put back on the wing.
Our FO let Stastny leave because they wanted Duchene/Mac down the middlein the future. So now we have to let him learn on the job. Even if it is painful.

If we move him back to wing than we will have the same problem the moment we move him back.

We made our bed and now we have to sleep in it.
100% against moving Mac back to wing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Absolutely not at the expense of having Daniel Briere be our 2nd line centre. I'd put Tanguay back at centre, something he hasn't played since the early 2000's, for the 2nd line before putting Briere there

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not sure where to ask this but I guess I'll try here, do the Avs not have a mobile app this season? Went to the one I had on my phone and it hasn't updated since last year. Also couldn't find anything in the app store.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Not sure where to ask this but I guess I'll try here, do the Avs not have a mobile app this season? Went to the one I had on my phone and it hasn't updated since last year. Also couldn't find anything in the app store.

I do not believe they do because as far as I know the Avalanche App isn't even in the Apple App Store/Google Play Store anymore.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Supposedly it's "coming soon".

Appears we may face Svedberg tomorrow, according to the Bruins GDT.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

They've said several times on twitter a new one is coming soon.

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Honestly I understand things aren't clicking but we really just need to let things click with our top 6 and hope the bottom 6 can not suck for a bit until Malkin/Winchester come back. Also that should mean Mack centering his line, it's time to let him grow because nothing is gonna happen if he keeps getting placed on the wing. Though I'd shuffle the bottom a bit to see what might work for now.

O'Reilly-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-Mackinnon-Tanguay
McGinn-Briere-Everberg
McLeod-Cliche-Talbot

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I agree with ROR as winger for Duchene.
I disagree with MacKinnon being put back on the wing.
Our FO let Stastny leave because they wanted Duchene/Mac down the middlein the future. So now we have to let him learn on the job. Even if it is painful.

If we move him back to wing than we will have the same problem the moment we move him back.

We made our bed and now we have to sleep in it.
100% against moving Mac back to wing.

Colorado wouldn't have negotiated with Stastny if they didn't want him back. He is playing for St. Louis right now because of the money involved.

Though MacKinnon moving to center seems like the logical follow up to the Stastny loss, he has been dominant as a winger but incompetent as a center in his short career. He is currently 6/17 on face-offs and has continued to struggle defensively (Haula goal as an example).

Finding someone who can succeed between Landeskog and MacKinnon would not be difficult or costly via trade. I will follow up this statement by saying a healthy Joey Hishon would probably be what the doctor ordered for this line.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Tim Army to be blamed for the south east asian fire drill of a PP?

If you're going to blame him for the power play when it fails, you should also give him credit when it succeeds. It was the 6th-best power play in the league last season if memory serves. Take a look at what's different from last season, and I think you'll conclude Tim Army is not the problem here. It's a personnel issue, not a coaching one, and I think they'll fix it soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad