Post-Game Talk: 0 for 46

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Is it safe to come back yet? I've been avoiding this place for the last 12 hours.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good news about no suspension for EJ. Five and a game was more than enough.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The hit looked worse in real time because of how Haula went down. The replays shows that it wasn't that bad a hit. It's just a big guy stepping up on a smaller crouching guy.

I hope Avs keep playing that way on their blue line so forwards think twice about entering Avs defensive zone. It's been way to easy and painfree to do it up to now.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Of course he looks worried. We looked better last night but we still couldn't find the back of the net. And plain and simple Minnesota how more scoring opportunities than us. Varlamov continues to make big saves.

Although last year we didn't have the best puck possession or a high number of shots, we generating quality scoring chances. We have to get back to that. Our offence is still deadly with the likes of Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly and Mackinnon. Heck, Iginila still has a good shot and managed to score 30 last year. It's not time to panic, but if we don't beat the Leafs (I don't expect to beat the Bruins) I'll be pretty damn worried.

The Bruins are in shambles right now. We're not expecting anything better than you guys are. Literally all you have to worry about is Bergeron and Rask (and Rask started 3 in 4 nights, so it's possible he could get the day off). The defense looks horrendous and it's a one-line team right now.

Hopefully one of the fanbases can start feeling better about their team because there seems to be a lot of negativity on both sides right now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
So then what's everyone's expected lines when we're (hopefully) at full health? I agree with some other posters in the sense that I feel O'Reilly/Duchene and Landeskog/MacKinnon need to remain together, and we can shuffle RW's to see who has the most chemistry with them. I wouldn't mind trying something like:

O'Reilly/Duchene/Tanguay
Landeskog/MacKinnon/Iginla
McGinn/Mitchell/Briere
Talbot/Winchester/Everberg

Holden/Johnson
Stuart/Barrie
Wilson/Redmond

Just seems like this is the season where Hejda falls off the edge of the earth in terms of play. Last season he played amazing, but he has clearly lost more than a step, and that isn't good when his puck skills were never that good either. Guenin needs to stay scratched permanently. Cliche needs to be sent down to the AHL. McLeod, even though Roy loves him, needs to be scratched, and it's gotten to the point over the last few seasons that I'd rather have Bordeleau play over him if I had to pick.

PP1
O'Reilly/Duchene/McGinn or Briere or Everberg, just someone to crash around the front of the net
Tanguay/Barrie

PP2
Holden/Johnson (Redmond may potentially replace Johnson if he can get his shot through, since EJ can't)

PK should revolve around Mitchell, Talbot, Winchester, Everberg, O'Reilly and Landeskog.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I feel like there are more people saying that we shouldn't complain about Mitchell than there are people complaining about Mitchell :laugh:

But yeah, we would really benefit if he could become healthy. Having him and Winchester instead of Everberg and especially Cliche would be very good. Having Dennis getting some good minutes in the Monsters would also be beneficial.

Also if Roy continues with the 3-line system and Mitchell wouldn't be coming back soon, I'd like to see Rendulic up here instead of Everberg. Rendulic has more skill and could be a nice piece on one of the top-3 lines.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
So then what's everyone's expected lines when we're (hopefully) at full health? I agree with some other posters in the sense that I feel O'Reilly/Duchene and Landeskog/MacKinnon need to remain together, and we can shuffle RW's to see who has the most chemistry with them. I wouldn't mind trying something like:

O'Reilly/Duchene/Tanguay
McGinn/Mitchell/Briere
Talbot/Winchester/Everberg

Holden/Johnson
Stuart/Barrie
Wilson/Redmond

Just seems like this is the season where Hejda falls off the edge of the earth in terms of play. Last season he played amazing, but he has clearly lost more than a step, and that isn't good when his puck skills were never that good either. Guenin needs to stay scratched permanently. Cliche needs to be sent down to the AHL. McLeod, even though Roy loves him, needs to be scratched, and it's gotten to the point over the last few seasons that I'd rather have Bordeleau play over him if I had to pick.

PP1
O'Reilly/Duchene/McGinn or Briere or Everberg, just someone to crash around the front of the net
Tanguay/Barrie

PP2
Holden/Johnson (Redmond may potentially replace Johnson if he can get his shot through, since EJ can't)

PK should revolve around Mitchell, Talbot, Winchester, Everberg, O'Reilly and Landeskog.

This is what I would go with as well. Maybe switch iginla and tanguay but the one you have is similar to what the Bruins had last year.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
McLeod, even though Roy loves him, needs to be scratched, and it's gotten to the point over the last few seasons that I'd rather have Bordeleau play over him if I had to pick.

I actually thought McLeod looked good last night. Physical presence, won some puck battles down low. Looked like the old McLeod pre-Kronwall.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I feel like these game misconduct penalties that throw a player out of the game should be reviewable. Seems like too big a decision to make off seeing something for a split second live. They should just give out a 10 min misconduct and spend that 10 minutes reviewing the play to determine how bad it is. Then they can let the player rejoin the game if it looked much worse live than it actually was.

If they would have been able to look at it after the fact, they'd have seen Haula go from 100 mph to 0 to avoid the hit and just got grazed with a hand, and then put on an Oscar worthy show to buy a major penalty.

Instead the refs have to make that judgement call on the spot, and throw EJ out of the game because of Haula's nonsense.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Tanguay has probably been our 2nd worst forward after Cliche. Hopefully he's just rusty after missing that much time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just saw the alleged "quote". What a bunch of bs.

It's Kiszla trying to be sensationalist again. Roy clearly didn't mean what Kiszla implied. He's been telling his team not to get caught up in revenge, or to even worry about Cooke, and stay focused. All of a sudden he decides to threaten Cooke before the game? That literally makes zero sense.

I hope Dater potentially being gone or limited in his role doesn't mean we have to hear more from Kiszla. It was nice having him gone most of last year. I can't understand why the Post drags the gutter to fill out their staff. They couldn't find three worse writers in the country if they tried.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What quote again?

Roy said if one of our players had hurt their player they'd know what the shoe on the other foot feels like. It wasn't a threat, it wasn't saying we'll show you what it feels like. Just ridiculous. Russo should be ashamed perpetuating these things. Are the newspapers that desperate?

Kizsla is one of those perpetually on the payroll writers that float from sport to sport to write his opinion pieces. He'll move on the next controversy soon.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Cliche stinks, but I actually thought he was decent last night. Even drew a penalty after a nice play in the defensive zone.

Better on faceoffs but I don't like his play on the PK. Way too passive out there. Not sure if they're being told to play that way or he does it on his own.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I feel like these game misconduct penalties that throw a player out of the game should be reviewable. Seems like too big a decision to make off seeing something for a split second live. They should just give out a 10 min misconduct and spend that 10 minutes reviewing the play to determine how bad it is. Then they can let the player rejoin the game if it looked much worse live than it actually was.

If they would have been able to look at it after the fact, they'd have seen Haula go from 100 mph to 0 to avoid the hit and just got grazed with a hand, and then put on an Oscar worthy show to buy a major penalty.

Instead the refs have to make that judgement call on the spot, and throw EJ out of the game because of Haula's nonsense.

That's true, why do they have to decide if he's out of the game immediately?

The game was over at that point, it decided the game. Even though they killed the 5 minute and played decent defensively and *could* have come back if they could find the net. But taking a team's #1 D away and giving the other team that much momentum just seals the game.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Roy said if one of our players had hurt their player they'd know what the shoe on the other foot feels like. It wasn't a threat, it wasn't saying we'll show you what it feels like. Just ridiculous. Russo should be ashamed perpetuating these things. Are the newspapers that desperate?

Kizsla is one of those perpetually on the payroll writers that float from sport to sport to write his opinion pieces. He'll move on the next controversy soon.

russo is respected guy and has great sources but he can be quite a homer at times.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That is a solid bottom six. I think the third line in particular is balanced. Briere and Mitchell are good with puck possession and McGinn can go into the dirty areas and crash the net. Speaking of which, McGinn needs to get to the net more.

McGinn is obviously not 100% IMO.

I think that's part of the problem with this team in general right now.

Were missing important pieces to our bottom 6 in general right now in Mitchell and Winchester.

Then you've got McGinn and Tanguay who aren't back in game shape yet(In Ginners case he's still playing somewhat injured for sure). And you've got Hejda who's also not 100% right now.

These guys need to heal up, and we need our bottom 6 C's back. Then things should start moving in the right direction. Hopefully thats within the next 4-5 games.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I just saw the alleged "quote". What a bunch of bs.

To play devil's advocate is this not what avs fans did after the barrie injury (myself included) when yeo said something to the effect of Cooke will play a large part this game and subsequently injured barrie?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
To play devil's advocate is this not what avs fans did after the barrie injury (myself included) when yeo said something to the effect of Cooke will play a large part this game and subsequently injured barrie?

Oh fans is one thing, I'm talking about the media perpetuating it. And I don't think Yeo ordered a hit on someone. Though when you employ someone like that you know something will come up eventually but I don't blame Yeo. A coach wouldn't be so stupid to say things like that if they had plans anyway.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
All this talk is just stupid. They had a chance to hit Cooke, take some anger out on him, challenge him to a fight, etc but they didn't do anything. Even if Roy's comments are being misinterpreted, it's still pointless to even talk about it before/after a game. The Wild won and Cooke won. Time to move on now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad