Post-Game Talk: 0 for 46

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Well, hopefully it's OK to discuss the game since the other one got closed.

I thought the defense played alright, at least at even strength. Stuart was much better tonight, and everyone else was decent. Wilson had a few brain farts but played well. Hejda is a total abomination with the puck on his stick. So bad.

The top 6 forwards have been just bad. Duchene has been the one with consistent jump. Landy has stunk. ROR has stunk too. Iginla was good in the 2nd but other than that, not so much. Tanguay looks cooked.

I was watching MacKinnon closely tonight and it was disappointing to see his lack of effort when the puck wasn't on his stick. He certainly had jump with the puck, but when it wasn't near him, or defensively, he didn't look to be trying a whole lot.

Varly doesn't look any different from last year.

The PP is horrible right now. Do they even have a shot on net on the PP yet?

I would actually like to see Roy stick with these lines for the next game, but I may be alone in that thought. Even if some of the guys stunk, they still created offense because they got good matchups. We'll find out tomorrow what Roy does.

And lastly, if EJ isn't suspended, he really needs to play smarter. He cannot be in the box as much as he has been. He's too important. I'd also like to keep Holden with him.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I take it 46 is our shot total so far? Ouch. Kuemper's just too good. I remember when he made that statement during the playoffs about not having as easy of a game since Midgets.

POS ugh

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Next game is against a Boston team that started the season 1-2-0 and usually are good at shot suppression. It's a tough game for Avs.

Avs didn't play that bad today. They competed well and won enough puck battles. It just looks like most of the players aren't sharp enough yet and none of the lines are clicking.

I was happy with the defense for the most part. Barrie is by far our best player at gaining the offensive blue line this far and he looks very dangerous. Holden, Stuart and Wilson were solid. Hejda is going Hejduk on us. Slowing down in a big way. EJ is overdoing things up to now. He needs to calm down and not try to force things.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Lines may have looked better tonight but I still don't like it. As I mentioned in the other thread, I like Everberg and he works hard but he shouldn't be on a line with two of our top forwards. He's too limited offensively.

There's also no way you can continue with Tanguay-MacKinnon-Briere since none of them play any defense. They were bad tonight and it'll only get worse on the road trip since Roy won't have the benefit of the last change.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Tanguay's been off the ice for a long time now, and coming back from pretty major surgery. It's no surprise he looks slow out there. Tonight at least there was a spark. He's just gonna need some time to get up to speed.

I hate using cliches (not Marc-Andre either) but Avs look like they're doing ye olde trick of "gripping the stick too tight." Too many missed shots, too many extra passes, not enough scrappy play down low in the slot.

Another guy I'd say needs to step it up is McGinn. He's not crashing the net enough.

The lines should stay the same, though I'm still in favor of Wilson or Holden sitting in favor of Redmond. Despite the fact that Wilson was moving faster than I've ever seen him move, this blueline is abhorrently slow.

On second thought, if I were going to sit a d-man in favor of Redmond my pick would be Hejda. Wilson and Stuart (and Holden) actually looked better than him IMHO, but that may just be me. Either way, the team needs more speed and puck savvy on the back end. Small sample size, I know.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Thought it would be Wilson getting the hook but I actually didn't mind the Wilson-Stuart pairing, even though both of them are slow as nails they're still faster and better than how Hejda has looked. Next game d-pairs should include Redmond and have Hejda sitting. The guy doesn't know what to do with the puck. When he has time, he rifles it up the boards hoping for a deflection into the zone. When he has pressure, he looks to ice it every single time. It's like the guy thinks he's still playing pre-lockout and has the ability to change after an icing or something.

Count me as another who wants to see the lines kept the same, except for the 4th line. It's not so much that I hate the players, because I can see that they work hard especially Cliche, he works his tail off. But they just provide virtually nothing to this team. But I know that Roy loves Cliche and McLeod too much to sit them, so it is what it is.

Duchene needs to stop trying to be so cute again and stick to what worked last season. Go ask Sidney Crosby how being cute worked out when playing with Iginla. It doesn't. If Roy is indeed going to keep the McGinn/Duchene/Iginla line together, then he should be getting game footage from every Bruins game last season of Lucic/Krejci/Iginla and showing it to that line. McGinn can be our poor man's Lucic since he plays a similar game, but they need to keep it simple.

O'Reilly needs to wake up and find his game. He looks slower than last season. So does MacKinnon but I was expecting that when I heard he put on that absurd amount of weight over the off-season. He doesn't seem to have that burst or that top-end speed he had last season. I hope I'm wrong and he's just in a funk.

For as much flak as Tanguay has taken, I've actually been happy with how physical he's been. The guy has been throwing his body around trying to hit players every chance he gets, and I like it. Other players should take notice and realize that if a mid-30 supposed play making soft forward who just had hip surgery is throwing his weight around trying to be physical, there is no excuse for the rest of the team being a bunch of little girls and trembling every time a player comes near them. The Wild instil fear in the Avs for some reason, and it angers me so much.

I know it's 2 games, but Briere just doesn't cut it for me. Yeah he's good on the boards and pretty crafty around the net, but it almost feels like it's at the point in his career where he's a liability playing a regular shift. So far not a fan of the trade given the fact that Parenteau is actually playing very well over in Montreal. I hope this is only a 1 year thing and he doesn't get the Stuart treatment.

Lastly, these guys need to be allowed to show some emotion. Roy needs to take the training wheels off of these guys and stop being so protective, because it isn't helping the team; it's hampering them. Watching the Oilers/Canucks game, RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS of all players dropped the gloves because he was sick of taking abuse and seeing his team get pushed around, and took matters into his own hand. Raw emotion and you can bet every Oiler was pumped about that. I don't want a fight every single game for no reason, but when you're down, you need something, somebody better step up. This team doesn't seem to want to throw any big hits that turn momentum, so fighting is the next best option. It would send a real message if someone like Landeskog or Iginla did it and got the boys going.

Anyways, that's the end of my rant. Can't believe I'm already at this stage and it's only 2 games in, but this team has not looked good

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Watched a few other games tonight and pretty much every team could get the puck through and had someone parked in front of the net on the PP. Why can't we do either one of those things? So many cute little plays to get it to someone in the slot. I don't think that's an issue of someone not willing to drive the net or stand in front either. They're setting up in that way right from the beginning. I know Landeskog got a nice chance in the slot but I think he missed the net and there was no one around for a rebound even if he did get it on target.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Watched a few other games tonight and pretty much every team could get the puck through and had someone parked in front of the net on the PP. Why can't we do either one of those things? So many cute little plays to get it to someone in the slot. I don't think that's an issue of someone not willing to drive the net or stand in front either. They're setting up in that way right from the beginning. I know Landeskog got a nice chance in the slot but I think he missed the net and there was no one around for a rebound even if he did get it on target.

What I have a problem with is why can't we even set up or gain proper entry into the zone? It's not like Minnesota was doing something so innovative that we had never seen it before. They overloaded one side, pressured like crazy and forced turnovers because no Av would support his teammate. Teams are going to see this and go "well then, it's clearly easy to shut the Avs' PP down. Just do what Minny did".

It's so simple to beat that kind of PK too. If there's pressure, rifle it around the boards to the other side where your winger is waiting, make sure the point man is right behind him for support and that the centre busts his *** to the corner for low support, with the player who shot the puck going to the slot for inside support. It isn't rocket science, yet the Avs don't seem to understand how to support one another right now and it's so frustrating

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not sure where to post this, but I guess here will do. Finally makes sense why Roy was so animated at the end of the game. Pretty unbelievable the refs would abuse their authority and prevent the 4th line from going on the ice, as if McLeod-Cliche-Talbot is some kind of goon squad. How does a ref have the authority to say players in the starting lineup can't play?

Reminds me of the last year when Bordy got a penalty for talking to Stewart during a faceoff. It's pretty unbelievable that refs can just make up these things as they go. Roy was preaching staying focused the entire lead up to these games, and they didn't even give Cooke an ugly look. You think he's all of a sudden gonna send guys on the ice to goon it up? Cliché and Talbot? What is McLeod gonna take on all five guys by himself?

At least Haula admitted it was just EJ's hand, so hopefully that ends the chance of a suspension, and make the refs further feel like idiots for throwing him out of the game. I can't figure out how Tim Peel still has a job. I don't know if he was responsible for everything tonight, but it was pretty brutal. Calls EJ for a complete phantom penalty in the 1st just to even up the calls. Throws EJ out for a minor penalty offense that Haula embellished. Repeatedly yells at Varly to move the puck two feet out from his crease and a Wild player standing on top of him. Blew a puck over the glass call. Prevents Roy from putting a line out at the end of the game. Not at all the reason they lost, but that's serious bush league officiating.

Edit: Thank you for moving my post here.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This wouldn't be the first time an Avalanche team was accused of getting too fancy and not doing enough to create traffic in front of the net.

The Avs actually lost two players very good at scoring garbage goals and wreaking havoc in the slot in Stastny and Parenteau. Others will have to step up. Jamie McGinn, I'm talkin' to YOU, dude.

I don't recall Iggy, despite all the power in his game, being a guy who really took punishment in the slot and crashed with impunity. Not a diss on him, just never really observed that as part of his game. If not him, some others will have to do so. Again, McGinn has proven he can crash the net, and I assume Everberg is enough of a scrapper to do the same.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Tanguay's been off the ice for a long time now, and coming back from pretty major surgery. It's no surprise he looks slow out there. Tonight at least there was a spark. He's just gonna need some time to get up to speed.

I hate using cliches (not Marc-Andre either) but Avs look like they're doing ye olde trick of "gripping the stick too tight." Too many missed shots, too many extra passes, not enough scrappy play down low in the slot.

Another guy I'd say needs to step it up is McGinn. He's not crashing the net enough.

The lines should stay the same, though I'm still in favor of Wilson or Holden sitting in favor of Redmond. Despite the fact that Wilson was moving faster than I've ever seen him move, this blueline is abhorrently slow.

On second thought, if I were going to sit a d-man in favor of Redmond my pick would be Hejda. Wilson and Stuart (and Holden) actually looked better than him IMHO, but that may just be me. Either way, the team needs more speed and puck savvy on the back end. Small sample size, I know.
Not sure why you'll let Tanguay off the hook then call out McGinn. McGinn had offseason wrist surgery himself and didn't get into a preseason game. He still needs some time himself.

I have been surprised at how willing Tanguay has been to hit.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
McGinn missed all of training camp and preseason and in the first game he played with Talbot and Briere. He also isn't getting any PP time where his big frame could be of use. He needs to use his body and crash the net more but I'm giving him a pass for now.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The Avs and Bruins have combined for 3 goals in 5 games. Monday's game could be a snoozer.

If EJ gets a few games, Redmond needs to draw in. We'll need some speed and can't use Stuart on the PP again.

member 116861

Why is Briere playing on the PP instead of McGinn? Ridiculous.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Avs and Bruins have combined for 3 goals in 5 games. Monday's game could be a snoozer.

If EJ gets a few games, Redmond needs to draw in. We'll need some speed and can't use Stuart on the PP again.

On the contrary, The B's are already coming in mad as hell. I just hope it doesn't get too chippy too early.

I don't mind that...right now McGinn ain't doing enough to warrant a position on the power play. He wasn't horrible tonight, but he wasn't crashing the net a whole lot. Just a few harmless, inaccurate shots. But I agree the power play is too easy to defend because there's way too much happening on the perimeter.

Maybe Roy can try using Holden as a poor-man's Byfuglien and have him stand in the slot on the man-advantage.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I thought Briere was alright tonight, to be honest. But with the setup of the 2nd unit, with MacKinnon on the half wall, it makes sense to have another right shot on the goal line. It's too bad they can't even setup the PP.

For some reason they wouldn't show the replay of the EJ hit in the arena. After seeing it again, it looks like his elbow is tucked in, to be honest. His hand or forearm definitely got the head, but how much is that due to Haula moving at the last second? If he gets a game or two, won't be surprised.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I think because he isn't supposed to be too bad around the net and they think he'll provide some offense when he has more room. Could also be reputation based as well. Whatever the reason is, that experiment needs to end soon.

McGinn only got better linemates and PP time last season when there were injuries. Hopefully he doesn't have to wait again.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This got lost in the other thread but Everberg didn't play past the 5 minute mark in the third. Talbot was with Mackinnon and Briere was with Landy. I hope that's not Roy's next experiment.

Mackinnon in slower? Not so much. He needs some talent to play with. Putting him on the third line and giving him nothing to work with is not a solution. He needs to play 18+ a night (before anyone gives the speech he will there with PP time, he didn't tonight). Put him on the RW or put him with defensivly responsible players is one thing but don't neuter our most explosive player.

I'm not worried about Iginla going forward but automatically giving Tanguay a top 6 spot might be a mistake.

I don't know how much more passion people want to see. That's what EJ does when he's fired up. Landy could have had 3 fights at least if they let him. Should they have taken more penalties? Fought?

We must have the best PK in the league right now statistically. :laugh:

member 116861

On the contrary, The B's are already coming in mad as hell. I just hope it doesn't get too chippy too early.

I don't mind that...right now McGinn ain't doing enough to warrant a position on the power play. He wasn't horrible tonight, but he wasn't crashing the net a whole lot. Just a few harmless, inaccurate shots. But I agree the power play is too easy to defend because there's way too much happening on the perimeter.

Maybe Roy can try using Holden as a poor-man's Byfuglien and have him stand in the slot on the man-advantage.

He still deserves a chance because we know what McGinn is capable of. He is not playing great right now but he can be effective in front of the net. Briere is kind of pointless especially with Tanguay on the same PP unit.

I thought Briere was alright tonight, to be honest. But with the setup of the 2nd unit, with MacKinnon on the half wall, it makes sense to have another right shot on the goal line. It's too bad they can't even setup the PP.

For some reason they wouldn't show the replay of the EJ hit in the arena. After seeing it again, it looks like his elbow is tucked in, to be honest. His hand or forearm definitely got the head, but how much is that due to Haula moving at the last second? If he gets a game or two, won't be surprised

Haula said that EJ got him with his hand and not his elbow. Also Landeskog told Haula to "stay down because he was hurt so bad". I really hope that EJ doesn't get suspended for that hit.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This got lost in the other thread but Everberg didn't play past the 5 minute mark in the third. Talbot was with Mackinnon and Briere was with Landy. I hope that's not Roy's next experiment.

Mackinnon in slower? Not so much. He needs some talent to play with. Putting him on the third line and giving him nothing to work with is not a solution. He needs to play 18+ a night (before anyone gives the speech he will there with PP time, he didn't tonight). Put him on the RW or put him with defensivly responsible players is one thing but don't neuter our most explosive player.

I'm not worried about Iginla going forward but automatically giving Tanguay a top 6 spot might be a mistake.

I don't know how much more passion people want to see. That's what EJ does when he's fired up. Landy could have had 3 fights at least if they let him. Should they have taken more penalties? Fought?

We must have the best PK in the league right now statistically. :laugh:

MacKinnon not only had plenty to work with talent-wise on his wings in Tanguay and Briere, conceivably he had easier minutes as a result. He most definitely had easier minutes after being taken off O'Reilly's wing since we all know ROR gets tougher matchups. So I don't buy this "neutering" excuse at all. He had two of the better playmakers on the team as his wingers.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Briere? Really. That might be the first positive thing written about him on this board. Tanguay isn't all there either.

Yeah, you're right, Tangs is nowhere near 100%. Neither is Iggy. Neither is Landeskog. Neither is O'Reilly. Neither is McGinn. So what's your solution? Take those two wingers off his line and put a couple other wings who are also not running at 100%? The wingers he had for this game were more than adequate. You make them seem like anchors, when their play hasn't really been that much worse than a lot of other players.

And I know for a fact I'm not the only person on here being complimentary of Briere's play so far. Yeah, he could stand to be better, but if Iggy and Tangs are being given some time to find/revitalize their respective games, then he should as well. There have been sparks of brilliance from him. Only sparks so far, but I like some of what I've seen the past two games.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Doe a MacKinnon need to play better, yes. But I saw time and time again he made a nice play to get in the zone and then nothing happened after the initial play. It might help if he has one person he has chemistry with, Landy.

The list of people who don't hate Briere is rather short. I'll see if anyone else chimes in. But never fear, mackinnon ended the game with talbot instead of Briere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad