Post-Game Talk: 0 for 46

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Colorado wouldn't have negotiated with Stastny if they didn't want him back. He is playing for St. Louis right now because of the money involved.

Though MacKinnon moving to center seems like the logical follow up to the Stastny loss, he has been dominant as a winger but incompetent as a center in his short career. He is currently 6/17 on face-offs and has continued to struggle defensively (Haula goal as an example).

Finding someone who can succeed between Landeskog and MacKinnon would not be difficult or costly via trade. I will follow up this statement by saying a healthy Joey Hishon would probably be what the doctor ordered for this line.
He's 19 years old. Of course he's not going to be a great NHL center right away. He's a center long term, and he's not going to learn that by playing the wing. And I really don't see how Hishon is the guy to replace him. I would argue that finding a 2nd line center through trade would be extremely difficult. Teams don't just trade those away.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He's 19 years old. Of course he's not going to be a great NHL center right away. He's a center long term, and he's not going to learn that by playing the wing. And I really don't see how Hishon is the guy to replace him. I would argue that finding a 2nd line center through trade would be extremely difficult. Teams don't just trade those away.

This is such a weird misnomer to me. And the fact so many people believe it mesmerizes me even more. What makes you think a kid can't learn center while playing wing? Not everything has to be trial-by-fire, and it's not like he's being switched to a radically different position. There's nothing wrong with easing him into the responsibility, having him work a position that isn't quite as demanding while the coaches help him improve the two areas (faceoffs and play away from the puck) that are preventing him from being as effective a pivot as he can be.

The Habs are easing Galchenyuk into the center position. It's working just fine thus far. Peter Forsberg switched between wing and center a lot in his career. It's not like he's going to learn all these awful bad habits as a winger that simply can't be undone.

And again, why are the Avs so dead-set on making Hishon a center? From the very start I assumed they would eventually groom him to be a wing, given his size, speed, style of play, and shoot-first mentality.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
lol...interesting response.

What makes him a terrible person?

I've seen him act like a ***** at least THREE times against my own team here in Sweden (He actually played junior hockey for my team when he was younger).

First team when his team lost, during the handshakes at the end of the game he grabbed Patrick Cehlins hand and refused to let go of it trying to create a scrum apparently saying "I'm going to kill you" to Cehlin for no reason what so ever.

Second example, Nils Ekman skated by the Brynäs bench when Svedberg was the backup goalie and Svedberg grabbed a hold of his stick (Who does that?!) and well, you can see what it let to..

Third example... Well...

And we are of the same age and come from the same city, as a person, he doesn't have the best reputation if we say so.. :) Hope we play him tomorrow and Cody Mac runs him over or something.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This is such a weird misnomer to me. And the fact so many people believe it mesmerizes me even more. What makes you think a kid can't learn center while playing wing? Not everything has to be trial-by-fire, and it's not like he's being switched to a radically different position. There's nothing wrong with easing him into the responsibility, having him work a position that isn't quite as demanding while the coaches help him improve the two areas (faceoffs and play away from the puck) that are preventing him from being as effective a pivot as he can be.

The Habs are easing Galchenyuk into the center position. It's working just fine thus far. Peter Forsberg switched between wing and center a lot in his career. It's not like he's going to learn all these awful bad habits as a winger that simply can't be undone.

And again (and no, not letting it go for anyone who is asking), why are the Avs so dead-set on making Hishon a center? From the very start I assumed they would eventually groom him to be a wing, given his size, speed, style of play, and shoot-first mentality.

How you can't learn center playing wing? How is that even possible? I get that NHL experience is one thing but learning the position by actually playing it is the only way to do it.

I personally care less about the center wing thing, putting him on the third line is what I'm against the most. Once Roy is ready to go with a sane lineup MacKinnon will be a top 6 center so I'm not really worried about it.

The Hishon thing is because Roy referred to him as what he needs to do to become the 3C. He has played wing in LE and we'll see where they put him when he comes back. LE has a lot of centers so it's entirely possible he doesn't play center there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I've seen him act like a ***** at least THREE times against my own team here in Sweden (He actually played junior hockey for my team when he was younger).

First team when his team lost, during the handshakes at the end of the game he grabbed Patrick Cehlins hand and refused to let go of it trying to create a scrum apparently saying "I'm going to kill you" to Cehlin for no reason what so ever.

Second example, Nils Ekman skated by the Brynäs bench when Svedberg was the backup goalie and Svedberg grabbed a hold of his stick (Who does that?!) and well, you can see what it let to..

And we are of the same age and come from the same city, as a person, he doesn't have the best reputation if we say so.. :) Hope we play him tomorrow and Cody Mac runs him over or something.

I don't know about the handshake incident, sounds like some Lucic BS, but it didn't look like he was holding the stick on the bench in that first video. You can see his hands up in the air as the stick comes down and looks to get stuck on something. Looks like he's trying to free it, not hold it.

The original link you had there before you fixed it to embed had a longer look at the beginning.

That second video looks like what Hasek used to do all the time whenever someone came close to him.

Maybe he's not a great person like you suggest, but I don't know if those clips are evidence of that. I'd say it makes Nils Ekman look pretty bad though for that vicious slash.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
It happened like 5 years ago, so I dont want to discuss it that much but he really was holding his stick with his right hand. I think he admitted it himself afterwards.

Ekman got a 5 gamer for the slash against Silfverberg btw. It was just ironic that he was the back up goalie in Brynäs and during one season we as a team had THREE incidents when the team and the fans were furious at him. Like surreal.

Edit: Someone who attended the game, a fan, actually reported that slash by Ekman to the police. "The hockey rink is no free zone for violence" and bla bla and Silfverberg, Ekman and I think Svedberg had hearings with the police and Silfverberg had to play it down and Svedberg therefore had to admit he was holding his stick to help get Ekman out of trouble with the law.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
How you can't learn center playing wing? How is that even possible? I get that NHL experience is one thing but learning the position by actually playing it is the only way to do it.

I personally care less about the center wing thing, putting him on the third line is what I'm against the most. Once Roy is ready to go with a sane lineup MacKinnon will be a top 6 center so I'm not really worried about it.

The Hishon thing is because Roy referred to him as what he needs to do to become the 3C. He has played wing in LE and we'll see where they put him when he comes back. LE has a lot of centers so it's entirely possible he doesn't play center there.

I agree to an extent with Av-Merican in the sense that he can learn centre without having to play it but I also agree with you in the sense that it would be extremely difficult. I think what the Canadiens are doing is a mistake, Galchenyuk should be playing C already and that is Michel Therrien being stubborn. However, Tyler Seguin is an example that I would point towards as a player not playing C very much, playing primarily RW yet looking very good at C last season and so far to start this season. I think MacK can do that as well, but I would definitely prefer him at C

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't think it was mentioned at all today so are you guys aware Mitchell said he might play at some point on the road trip?

I thought you mentioned it w/ the other Sadowski quotes? Either way that's very good news. I know that it's no secret that he's not my favorite player, but ANYTHING to get Cliche out of the lineup.

McGinn-Mitchell-Briere
McLeod-Talbot-Everberg

looks so much better with Mitchell on that 3rd line. And I like Everberg and think that it's great he made the opening night roster, but I feel that once Winchester is good to go he'll be sent to Lake Erie and the bottom 6 will look like this

McGinn-Mitchell-Briere
McLeod-Winchester-Talbot

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I thought you mentioned it w/ the other Sadowski quotes? Either way that's very good news. I know that it's no secret that he's not my favorite player, but ANYTHING to get Cliche out of the lineup.

McGinn-Mitchell-Briere
McLeod-Talbot-Everberg

looks so much better with Mitchell on that 3rd line. And I like Everberg and think that it's great he made the opening night roster, but I feel that once Winchester is good to go he'll be sent to Lake Erie
As he should.
It's much better for him to develop there with lots of minutes and responsibilities.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Cliche won't benefit from AHL duty. Everberg will.
I think that comes into consideration as well.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

You're right, but people are making it like using him as a wing is going to ruin him as a center or something. I find that to be a silly notion at best. The learning curve for center isn't that steep. Use him as a winger now, build his confidence with a lighter load to carry out there and then, when he's ready, make him a center. Yes, he'll have some things to learn once he switches, but it won't take that long for a kid that talented.

And as I've said before, the "3rd line" thing is a misnomer as well. This ain't the 90s where your third line was almost always a grinder/checking line that only came out to stop the opposition's stars. MacKinnon will get easier minutes and matchups as a result of being on that line, which at this point in his career is something he needs.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

He's a great NHL player right away.

Mike Ribiero or Derek Roy would score 60 points centering MacKinnon and Landeskog.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad