0-1 in the Dwight King-less era

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Did they not do media after this game? Don't have TV, so usually look to insider/kings vision... but no interviews?

I know on the radio they interviewed AA and he said they didn't play their game. That's about as insightful as it got.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
all the home teams lost on opening night, including the defending champs....so....eh?

it's not the loss that matters, it's how you lose

i didn't see VAN vs CGY

but TO & CHI played well

LA sucked and that's worrisome because of all the teams last night, TO & LA were the ones with the most to prove

so last night's loss is actually very significant, you guys shouldn't underestimate what you have witnessed last night

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles

i didn't see VAN vs CGY

but TO & CHI played well

LA sucked and that's worrisome because of all the teams last night, TO & LA were the ones with the most to prove

so last night's loss is actually very significant, you guys shouldn't underestimate what you have witnessed last night
lol, one game in are you're tapping out? :laugh:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

i didn't see VAN vs CGY

but TO & CHI played well

I lost it here.

All the road teams lost last night in case anyone was keeping score.

The Kings defense looks awful. I'm talking both the defensive players and the forward running around in their own zone. It was a train wreck the whole night. Not much to be positive about except the first 5 minutes of the game. The Jones lathering was a bit much. The guy made a great save on Toffoli but was largely untested. I'll check back in 20 games or so to see how he's doing.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
All the road teams lost last night in case anyone was keeping score.

The Kings defense looks awful. I'm talking both the defensive players and the forward running around in their own zone. It was a train wreck the whole night. Not much to be positive about except the first 5 minutes of the game. The Jones lathering was a bit much. The guy made a great save on Toffoli but was largely untested. I'll check back in 20 games or so to see how he's doing.

The Kings can look ugly when they're not skating. They've got size, but not everyone is a big hitter. They've got some speed, but it's not team wide. Some skill, but it's not everywhere. So when the passes aren't clicking, and the legs aren't moving, nothing works. I don't know if that's more so with the Kings than other teams, but they're certainly one of the main teams that can't take shortcuts.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
We all know if you're not busting your ass in practice, Sutter may not play you, especially if you haven't solidified a roster spot and McNabb hasn't established himself as a defacto member of the defense.

If you're getting out hustled and out worked by Schultz, how much crap can you actually give Sutter?

Ron*

I made a comment about Arizona being a "middle school" team in yesterday's GDT. (I was posting from my seat at Staples, wishing I was anywhere else in the world, including Afghanistan.)

Apparently, the fianceé was looking over my shoulder, because she said "Yes, two middle-school teams playing each other on Friday."

Couldn't really disagree. Hope to see an NHL-caliber team on Friday. Last night was truly an embarrassment.

Ron*

Patience.

"Patience" was last season.

And "patience worn out" was the end of last season.

This team better not wet the bed in October. They have a ridiculous load of home games this month, so much so I'm thinking of selling some tickets. I really don't want to be trekking all the way into Staples every two days. Sheesh. Who makes these ****ing schedules, anyway?

scryan

May 1, 2013
You talking about Scrivens or Bernier?

Can we just say it... **** Scrivens.
And by that I mean good guy, OK goalie... :D But yeah... Where is he? AHL.
Dude was shaky as ****. Yes, he put up decent stats... Behind one of the leagues greatest defenses, for a short time period when they jumped into hyper mode after the starter went down.
Bill Randford said:
Ranford, on what he makes of the goalies’ success since Jonathan Quick was injured:
Well, I think the big part is we’ve found our game from the structure, defensively. We were giving up probably 10-plus more chances a game early on in the season, and we felt we had to clean that area up and get the puck moving quicker and faster, and I think that everything started to fall into place. You give good teams that many extra opportunities, pucks are going to end up in the net. It doesn’t matter who’s in goal.
Bill Randford said:
“A team will try and buckle down and defend—I don’t know if you say ‘harder’ because you’re always trying to defend harder,†said Ranford. “But I think those first couple of games you get into that scenario where guys are like, ‘let this guy get his feet under him until he gets comfortable kind of thing.’â€
“Everybody has the utmost confidence in Jonathan Quick, and what his abilities are,†added Ranford. “He’s proven it time and time again. [But] It was more the situation where we just had to play better, as a team. It just coincided with when Quick went down.â€

I mean, as a guy, Scrivens was great. As a goalie, he is a terrible skater, his rebound control was lacking, and despite what the stats were saying, he in no way ever earned the name he has made for himself.

He found himself as the backup on a great team... And was gifted the starter slot when Quick went down. He played himself out of it, and ultimately off the team. Over to the oilers as starter, back down to backup again, and ultimately down to the AHL. This isn't just bad luck.

But Scrivens has been criticized a bit by head coach Darryl Sutter recently, for a drop-off in his play, which apparently played into the decision to give Jones the nod in their last two games. But Sutter never really elaborated on his criticism.
Ranford provided the details a couple of days later.
“Movements, no delay in his post-save, having rhythm to the game, just the habits of what you do to get into your spots, [such as] edge control,†Ranford explained. “For me, that goes a long way. I’m not an overly technical guy. If there’s a technical deficiency, then yeah, you attack it. But I’m more about detail and work ethic, That’s the approach Kim [Dillabaugh] and I [have taken] since we took over here eight years ago.â€
http://frozenroyalty.net/2013/12/09...ovides-specifics-on-ben-scrivens-recent-play/
Take it from the man behind LA's goalie factory. He certainly did not hold him in the same esteem the fans did.

The character "The Professor" was great. He is a nice guy, and despite what may seem like bad feelings towards him, wish him the best. But tired of hearing him held up as some great goalie based on a pretty short run here, where every play he made was a heart attack near sure thing goal saved by an LA defender clearing the crease of pucks or opponents.
Didn't really mean for this rant to be so aggressive... But Stone's "Enjoy By" is very good, and Scrivezina just wasn't. Does no one remember how often that guy put himself on his ass? How much time he spent flailing? Sometimes I feel like I was the only one who was not sad to see him go, and I just don't get it.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
so this proves that Dwight King is the catalyst to all our success, right guys? it all lies on the shoulders of the TRUE King (not some court jester in NYC mind you), i will be praying to the gods for his expedient recovery and the certain glory and riches that will come upon his return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad