OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Sooth

Jun 27, 2006
Finland
www.last.fm
2. Newest Tame Impala did nothing for me. I tried but it just goes too far down a different path, and I love when artists take chances and try new stuff and that goes for Slayer, Radiohead, Madonna, even when Chris Cornell did that Timbaland album while most of it didn't work it was interesting. This just sounds like Kevin Parker is trying to get Spotify streams, beer commercial placement, and meet supermodels.

Yeah, I don't know man. It had kind of the same problem as the latest Pond album (coincidentally also produced by Parker) and the latest Rammstein album. They are kind of more of the same, and just "trying" to reinvent themselves and giving up a whole lot of nothing. There's few good songs but the album(s) as a whole is (/are) nothing to remember. But at the same breath, It Might Be Time is super catchy and resonates to my own situation. So I dig that one.

At the moment I'm having a full on raging hard-on to upcoming albums of Metz, Idles and Fountaines D.C. Super high hopes to each one of those.

At least the latest single from Metz leaves nothing to desire for. The outro alone is just out of this world in all the ways imaginable.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Matt Freeman is an absolute monster as a bassist who plays with only a pick. Even beyond Detroit and Maxwell he's always walking playing these blues/ska lines. I'm a little older than you so I remember when Green Day got big in 1994 that led to Rancid/Bad Religion and even NoFX getting some mainstream recognition (the later never had anything to do with MTV). Rancid had many hits on MTV with Salvation, Ruby Soho, Old Friend, and Freeman plays all over the neck.

I don't know how into Killing Joke you are basically their first three albums was Youth as the bassist and he played more like a Peter Hook or even Barry Adamson from Magazine/Mick Karn from Japan all over the neck, a lot of octaves, fills, and funk. Raven came in for album four and he was equally good but very different. He stayed more in the lower register, tuned down, had a heavier more meat and potatoes approach. They had their biggest hits with him like Eightees and Love Like Blood. Raven would later go on to play with Prong, a metal band in the 90s that is still active today. They had a big hit on MTV late night Headbangers Ball called "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck." (Wow even typing that out, the world of music was so different then) and eventually passed away. Youth has been back in Killing Joke for a few years now and was part of the original lineup that opened for Tool last fall.

peter hook is the reason I even bought a bass so I’ll def be looking at early Killing Joke. I’m more a picker myself lol

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's funny I put my guitars away for about 20 years and only started playing again about ten years ago when I picked up an Ibanez Artcore cheap. I spent a couple/three/four years just relearning how to play again. It's for my own amusement and you need things to do after you're retired. But it's interesting the new perspectives or fresh ideas you have after not having played for so long. Youtube wasn't a thing way back when I stopped playing either. There's basically two guys I watch as far as lessons or how they play on youtube--one is James James who use to be privettricker and the other is this English guy Anyonecanplayguitar who by the way has a lesson for Joy Division's New Dawn Fades and another lesson on some of Gang of Four's stuff like Ether. The other thing is I use to play with picks but hardly at all anymore.

Reactions: NYR

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
It's funny I put my guitars away for about 20 years and only started playing again about ten years ago when I picked up an Ibanez Artcore cheap. I spent a couple/three/four years just relearning how to play again. It's for my own amusement and you need things to do after you're retired. But it's interesting the new perspectives or fresh ideas you have after not having played for so long. Youtube wasn't a thing way back when I stopped playing either. There's basically two guys I watch as far as lessons or how they play on youtube--one is James James who use to be privettricker and the other is this English guy Anyonecanplayguitar who by the way has a lesson for Joy Division's New Dawn Fades and another lesson on some of Gang of Four's stuff like Ether. The other thing is I use to play with picks but hardly at all anymore.

I'm glad to hear you dusted them off and got back to playing after so many years.

Guitar has always been such a passion of mine for so many years and should've played professionally but life steered me into business direction instead.

In any case..It's an escape from every day stress for me.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do :thumbu:

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm glad to hear you dusted them off and got back to playing after so many years.

Guitar has always been such a passion of mine for so many years and should've played professionally but life steered me into business direction instead.

In any case..It's an escape from every day stress for me.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do :thumbu:

Well part of it was also my hockey days actually came to an end and I'm a person that absolutely needs distractions to keep me on an even keel. My main distractions now are watching hockey (when it's in season), reading books (which I'm also always doing) and messing about with the guitars. A friend of mine also had been (until this Covid crap came up) showing up most weeks to jam and drink beer. Fact is his Rickenbacher bass from the 60's is sitting in my basement right now along with one of his cabinets and his Carvin bass head. He hasn't been around since March--he's got some real medical issues and is not taking chances and I can't say I blame him. Really if you're not literally living with someone you've no idea where they've been or what they've been up to. He has an ear for music in that he can listen to a song and figure it out for the most part in his head---I don't have the ear he has.

The basement actually use to be a largish open area that I'd turned into an inline practice rink (it helped that I bought the house before I met my wife) with plexiglass over the windows and a hockey goal and I'd be down there practically every day of the year--shooting those orange hockey balls at the net and pretty much after 20 some years of that everything that wasn't concrete was a wreck---holes in the wall, completely splintered door to the back room. It was a great way of working off excess energy and always kept me in pretty good shape for the ice and inline leagues I played in. My wife wanted a nicer house though (and it's hard to blame her for that), wanted to fix up the basement and my knees were giving me issues--so that finally came to an end. She in fact even put this room in that my son was supposed to move into but he at the last moment decided he didn't want to so it's become the music/library room with several bookshelves, a bunch of guitars, 3 amplifiers, a mini-refrigerator--all my punk rock records from the 70's/80's and a stereo + some closet space where she stores clothes and all the christmas shit.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Well part of it was also my hockey days actually came to an end and I'm a person that absolutely needs distractions to keep me on an even keel. My main distractions now are watching hockey (when it's in season), reading books (which I'm also always doing) and messing about with the guitars. A friend of mine also had been (until this Covid crap came up) showing up most weeks to jam and drink beer. Fact is his Rickenbacher bass from the 60's is sitting in my basement right now along with one of his cabinets and his Carvin bass head. He hasn't been around since March--he's got some real medical issues and is not taking chances and I can't say I blame him. Really if you're not literally living with someone you've no idea where they've been or what they've been up to. He has an ear for music in that he can listen to a song and figure it out for the most part in his head---I don't have the ear he has.

The basement actually use to be a largish open area that I'd turned into an inline practice rink (it helped that I bought the house before I met my wife) with plexiglass over the windows and a hockey goal and I'd be down there practically every day of the year--shooting those orange hockey balls at the net and pretty much after 20 some years of that everything that wasn't concrete was a wreck---holes in the wall, completely splintered door to the back room. It was a great way of working off excess energy and always kept me in pretty good shape for the ice and inline leagues I played in. My wife wanted a nicer house though (and it's hard to blame her for that), wanted to fix up the basement and my knees were giving me issues--so that finally came to an end. She in fact even put this room in that my son was supposed to move into but he at the last moment decided he didn't want to so it's become the music/library room with several bookshelves, a bunch of guitars, 3 amplifiers, a mini-refrigerator--all my punk rock records from the 70's/80's and a stereo + some closet space where she stores clothes and all the christmas shit.

Plexiglas over the windows.
That's f***ing awesome haha.

I don't have time to get into it now but I have a very similar setup going on at my place only that's now named the media room lol.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Sadly, i just stumbled across WAP by Cardi B. Is there a way i can unhear this song and forget it exists?

I like plenty of rap and newer artists but IMHO this is just trash. It's a gimmick to get Spotify streams and YouTube views. It's nonsense. It's not musicians but cool kids in HS dressing up in cool costumes and trying to show how stylish they are.

It will have zero staying power.

Reactions: Rangers394

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
I like plenty of rap and newer artists but IMHO this is just trash. It's a gimmick to get Spotify streams and YouTube views. It's nonsense. It's not musicians but cool kids in HS dressing up in cool costumes and trying to show how stylish they are.

It will have zero staying power.
Yeah. I love all music but this WAP stuff is just dumb.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So getting away from Cardi B......

New Deftones single "Ohms" from the album of the same name drops in less than an hour. Album out September 25th.

I'm excited they've become one of my favorite bands the last ten years.

I really liked Gore despite the heat it took. They're a band that takes chances and I appreciate that.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
New Killers album comes out in about 50 minutes. I didn't like the first single they released but I'm interested in hearing the rest of the album.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
It's barely music it's like 1/2 a sample. At least it has no autotune which is the modern version of the 80s gated drums.
Yeah i don't know what to call it. Rap is played out to me in general these last few years. I mostly listen to rock and edm now. Rap here and there but it's tough to find a decent song

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Yeah i don't know what to call it. Rap is played out to me in general these last few years. I mostly listen to rock and edm now. Rap here and there but it's tough to find a decent song

Rap is wonderful there are a lot of really cool underground artists or indie rappers (Shabbaz Palaces come to mind). Even mainstream, I generally like Logic and a lot of what J. Cole and his label have done. Chance has some cool stuff and I like a healthy chunk of Kendrik Lamar's music.

Most mainstream Top 40 Rap I feel generally has zero creativity. No one is making beats or producing with the intricacy of what Q-Tip or J. Dilla did, and its all style over substance. Run The Jewels being an exception of course but those dudes are older than me and from that older generation where sampling and beats was an art.

The beats are basically one drum sample on GarageBand, maybe some kind of melodic instrument, a robotic sound, and vocals drowned in autotune. It's so overproduced and inorganic I don't see how anyone will care about it in 6-12 months yet alone two years from now.

Reactions: Rangers394

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Rap is wonderful there are a lot of really cool underground artists or indie rappers (Shabbaz Palaces come to mind). Even mainstream, I generally like Logic and a lot of what J. Cole and his label have done. Chance has some cool stuff and I like a healthy chunk of Kendrik Lamar's music.

Mainstream Top 40 Rap I feel generally has zero creativity. No one is making beats or producing with the intricacy of what Q-Tip or J. Dilla did, and its all style over substance. Run The Jewels being an exception of course but those dudes are older than me and from that older generation where sampling and beats was an art.

The beats are basically one drum sample on GarageBand, maybe some kind of melodic instrument, a robotic sound, and vocals drowned in autotune. It's so overproduced and inorganic I don't see how anyone will care about it in 6-12 months yet alone two years from now.
I agree. Logic is pretty good. Do you listen to Yelawolf? He's like country/rap. Really cool shit. Give him a listen if you want

Reactions: Roo Returns

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Plexiglas over the windows.
That's f***ing awesome haha.

I don't have time to get into it now but I have a very similar setup going on at my place only that's now named the media room lol.

People come over and 'oh, you got a man cave' and I'm like 'I never asked for it and I liked the hockey rink better'. Basically my wife getting most of my shit together in one place and out of her sight. She no longer has to explain to her country music loving relatives 'who are the Angry Samoans and what's this Crass stuff?'

Last edited:

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
For the rock enthusiasts here I just listened to "Frampton Comes Alive" today. I forgot what a great live album this is especially "Do you feel like we do". I blew a few speakers listening to that track back in the day.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
We have music that is genuine art, we have music that is simply a product to be sold and everything in between. It's what our system does.

WAP is pretty much an extreme. TBF the Shapiro memes that followed are S tier. So even if the song is totally void of any value in a materialistic sense, it had positives. Plus you can spin some feminist liberty power narrative around the WAP song, if you had to defend it.
PLUS we can use "p-word" now, which I find awesome.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I just discovered these guys. The first newer metal band I've found that I really really like in a long time. From the same album, I'd also recommend Hypermania, Creatures of Habit, All of This is Fleeting, and Pray for Rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCProdigy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad