OT: ♫ The Music Thread ♫

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Thought it's silly name calling at this point. MGK said Em has a weird beard and Em said he had a man bun....

giphy.gif
If that's all you got from the DTs then i'm sorry the bars were over your head.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Eminem. The bars are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the sick bars will go over a typical listener’s head.

Nah I understand that, too. Em's lyricism is insane. So is MGK's. IDK, just didn't hit for me :help:

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
What happens when Killswitch Engage mellows out and sings songs of inspiration?

Times of Grace

Side project of 2 Killswitch members. Their 2011 album is a tour de force.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Halloween night, saw Deafheaven and DIIV in Jersey City. Shit was out of control. Deafheaven opened their set with a cover of "Hybrid Moments" by the Misfits. DIIV had a little goth girl with an upside-down cross painted on her forehead sitting motionless on a stool their entire set; the only time she moved was to periodically scream during the break between each song.

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
450px-Kiss-live-at-allphones-arena-070.jpg

Who are your favorite NYC bands? I like:

Talking Heads
VU
Beastie Boys
The Strokes
NY Dolls
Sonic Youth
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Interpol
Television
KIϟϟ - my least favorite on this list, but they're very visual so they make good pics.

Reactions: nyrage

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Talking Heads
VU
Beastie Boys
The Strokes
NY Dolls
Sonic Youth
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Interpol
Television
KIϟϟ - my least favorite on this list, but they're very visual so they make good pics.

A lot of the above bands on your list I like particularly the Velvet Underground. A couple others I would add--Bad Brains and the Ramones. Don't know them all that well but then there's Vampire Weekend and LCD Soundsystem.

Then there's the rap genre from Krs-One to Public Enemy to Nas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elvis P and nyrage

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
A lot of the above bands on your list I like particularly the Velvet Underground. A couple others I would add--Bad Brains and the Ramones. Don't know them all that well but then there's Vampire Weekend and LCD Soundsystem.

Then there's the rap genre from Krs-One to Public Enemy to Nas.

I was going to mention Velvet Underground, too. I've been on a VU kick lately and Lou Reed, too.

I know Bad Brains moved to NY, but I guess I consider them to be a DC band.

LCD Soundsystem has some great songs.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX

I worked for Atlantic Records in the late 80s and early 90s. I was in the bathroom one day when Ace Frehley walked in stoned and drunk of out his head. I can't really say what I did, but he didn't even notice. He was basically comatose standing up.

Btw, you deserve some award for mentioning Television.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
VU > Beatles

I don't know, let's not get carried away. ha. The Beatles have always been the gold standard, but yeah VU is amazing. I've seen the Doors movie several times in the past couple of days just to watch that scene where they meet Andy Warhol just to hear Venus in Furs and Heroin. That Ovation channel keeps running the Doors movie over and over.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't know, let's not get carried away. ha. The Beatles have always been the gold standard, but yeah VU is amazing. I've seen the Doors movie several times in the past couple of days just to watch that scene where they meet Andy Warhol just to hear Venus in Furs and Heroin. That Ovation channel keeps running the Doors movie over and over.
A song like "Sister Ray" would still shock people in 2020.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A song like "Sister Ray" would still shock people in 2020.

....and to add Venus in Furs has got to be in the top 10 most amazing rock songs ever. What goes on in your mind is just a rhythm train. Heroin is very beautiful and Cale's electrified viola towards the end sounds like a plane taking off. I love the lyrics to Sweet Jane.

Reactions: nyrage

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Just saw Maiden at MSG last week. Those guys remain in a league of their own.
Saw Maiden like 9 years ago in London. I wasn’t familiar with their music but really dug the show. Tons of charisma. I respect bands that can put in a SHOW.

Reactions: Riche16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad