GDT: ▲ @ ♫

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Really liked Lindstrom's game tonight. He's quicker then I expected. He's finding a comfort zone with the NHL game, and really helping to make our third line more dangerous.

Berglund also played a decent game, but we really really really need to get into that kid's head that he's 225 pounds and when he has the puck he can bull it into the center of the ice from the half boards.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
The Blues are now only 1/2 game back of The lead in The Central, while being stricken with illness and hit hard by injuries to key players, and still unable to have their eventual lines play together enough to develop optimum chemistry. Imagine how they'll play when fully healthy, and when all the new players have been fully integrated. I'm confident that they'll finally be able to compete on an even level with The Kings, Ducks and Hawks.

I honestly think the injuries have something to do with our winning.

With so many injuries, Hitch doesn't have options. He's got to use his skill players in skill situations, and his grinders as grinders. MPS has been playing really well too, if you ask me. There was a play tonight where MPS basically kept the puck in. They had possession behind their net and he comes on with blazing speed and puts a successful pinch on to keep the puck in the zone. Between he and Berglund, I'd rather see him.

Regardless, I think right now things are going well because Hitch knows there's no one to cover Ott's ass, so he has to play Ott in a limited role. And a guy like MPS has to play in a scoring role, as opposed to a whatever-the-hell kind of role Hitch thinks he'd have with Reaves and Lappy.

All us getting players back will do is bring the return of really awkward and dumb lines. Break the STL line up somehow, take out MPS, and give Ott more in-zone chances because there will be 4 guys to bail him out.

Playing all these Euro players is making us an effective puck possession team. Hitch will put a stop to that by putting the pluggers in situations and benching the MPSs and Lindstroms.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
0d0a55fd2eba89fc9bb8e68050871efe.png

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The worry with Lehterä is the number of games he is going to play this season. 82 and playoffs is going to be a fair few more than he has played in any prior season, and the games are more intense. I've been one of his biggest fans over the past few years, but my expectations won't be high for his performance late in the season.

Last year Jori player 106 GP and he was got great energy boost last spring in World Championships. (9.5.2014-25.5.2014) He was our clearly best player on Finland national team. Do you remember how Jori owned USA best players in bronze medal match in olympics??

I want to see these skeptics writing next spring.

rivoshy 1774

Oct 9, 2013
ontario, Can
I honestly think the injuries have something to do with our winning.

With so many injuries, Hitch doesn't have options. He's got to use his skill players in skill situations, and his grinders as grinders. MPS has been playing really well too, if you ask me. There was a play tonight where MPS basically kept the puck in. They had possession behind their net and he comes on with blazing speed and puts a successful pinch on to keep the puck in the zone. Between he and Berglund, I'd rather see him.

Regardless, I think right now things are going well because Hitch knows there's no one to cover Ott's ass, so he has to play Ott in a limited role. And a guy like MPS has to play in a scoring role, as opposed to a whatever-the-hell kind of role Hitch thinks he'd have with Reaves and Lappy.

All us getting players back will do is bring the return of really awkward and dumb lines. Break the STL line up somehow, take out MPS, and give Ott more in-zone chances because there will be 4 guys to bail him out.

Playing all these Euro players is making us an effective puck possession team. Hitch will put a stop to that by putting the pluggers in situations and benching the MPSs and Lindstroms.

Breaking up the STL line is not the thing to do. It's been a long time since I've seen such good puck movement in the offensive end from a line, why would you change that? We were only a couple games into the season when injuries and sickness took over. Our lines are going to gel it just takes a little time

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Elliott was fantastic last night. He made some absolutely huge saves at critical times last night. Frank was awesome as well. I thought Petro had a nice game too. Lindstrom was really effective as well. He was a possession machine last night.

Gunnarsson is going to fit in very nicely with Shatty. He's not flashy but he's just rock solid.

Last edited:

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
The 4th line is a joy 90% of the time. Puck domination, all 3 players playing well, and scoring chances! Too bad Reaves doesn't have a little more of a shot or he would have had two others this week.

Thought the Schwartz-Backes-MPS line actually had some good possession shifts and MPS was a main catalyst.

Lindstrom looked more assertive than any other game I have watched...too bad he doesn't have a little better shot as well. Jaskin didn't play at all in the 3rd/OT did he? I saw Ott on that line a couple times. Silly, as Jaskin is hard on the puck and holds his own. Physically, he looks like a better Cracknell.

There is something off about Lehtera, something statue-y to his movements/reactions. Still observing. May not mean anything. Tarasenko = magic obviously.

Going to be very interesting when we are healthy. Hard decisions about who plays. Really hope Oshie comes back and looks better. He thinks he's on the Globetrotters this year.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Breaking up the STL line is not the thing to do. It's been a long time since I've seen such good puck movement in the offensive end from a line, why would you change that? We were only a couple games into the season when injuries and sickness took over. Our lines are going to gel it just takes a little time

Steen does look good with Lehterä and Tarasenko, but so did Schwartz. I'm not sure how they can maximize Stastny with Berglund or Schwartz, because right now the STL line is the only one really finding success. Hitch has done an excellent job of sticking to his pairs as he said he would. I think Steen-Stastny-Lindstrom and______-Lehterä-Tarasenko will make the team more dangerous.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Blues (TOI):

Code:
Schwartz (19:50) - Backes (17:34) - Pääjärvi (10:48)
Steen (23:20) - Lehterä (19:55) - Tarasenko (19:08)
Jaskin (8:35) - Berglund (14:54) - Lindström (13:56)
Ott (14:44) - Lapierre (13:35) - Reaves (9:36)

Jbo (26:17) - Pietro (27:35)
Gunnar (14:05) - Shattery (23:54)
Jackman (20:05) - Cole (15:09)

Elliott (65:00) 93.1%

Avs (TOI):

Code:
Landeskog (19:45) - Duchene (19:03) - O'Reilly (19:51)
McGinn (16:22) - MacKinnon (17:06) - Iginla (17:54)
Tanguay (18:32) - Mitchell (13:19) - Evergerg (10:26)
McLeod (11:39) - Cliché (10:57) - Talbot (12:05)

Hejda (23:50) - Johnson (25:58) 
Stuart (20:06) - Barrie (19:51)
Holden (22:31) - Guenin (14:49)

Varlamov (64:56) 93.1%

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Really liked Lindstrom's game tonight. He's quicker then I expected. He's finding a comfort zone with the NHL game, and really helping to make our third line more dangerous.

Berglund also played a decent game, but we really really really need to get into that kid's head that he's 225 pounds and when he has the puck he can bull it into the center of the ice from the half boards.

I don't think he weighs that much, but your point is good. Four seasons ago Berglund was doing exactly what you wrote and then got away from it. He is quite capable of bulling it to center ice from the half boards. He has the vision of a naked mole rat, so how he became a centerman in the first place is beyond me. But his limited vision sort of lends itself to playing keep away and rushing to the slot from the edges. If he can find a way to do this at least once or twice per game, it will open up ice for other players.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I think Jori looks so tired to people is because he is. He's being relied on to be our #1 C ATM and playing close to 20 min a game on the PP and PK as well. As far as I'm concerned he has already done more than I expected him to. Once Stastny comes back and Backes gets a little fresher I'm sure he'll get more limited minutes that will help him keep his energy up.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
The entire penalty kill needs to be overhauled.

Part of what made it effective last year was Sobotka and Schwartz playing the part of rat-crazed terriers and pressuring every single puck carrier to distraction. Oshie sort of did this too.
The current system is entirely too passive. I like that Lehtera can recognize certain play types and break them up but he's too passive to have out there with another passive-style player.

Whether this change is because Hitch wants there to be no deviation from the diamond/box or whether it is simply the Blues players being unable/unwilling to force the other teams to remain chased is irrelevant...it needs to stop. Now.

On the powerplay: sorry Steen but you're just not cutting it right now from the point. You're making poor decisions far too often and responding miserably to pressure. Also your shot is being blocked too often as well.
With Lehtera and Tarasenko managing to open the ice down low, you need to be cycling down to take advantage, not glued to your position out high.
PP Unit #2 is pretty much worthless, but I thought that might happen with the lack of decent passers available.

Also, opposing team zone entries:
One of the defensemen has to at least attempt to harass the puck carrier. This is getting ridiculous.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Avs fans are complaining about the announcing duo of Kelly and Pang.
Which is amusing in a fashion, but whatever.

However after listening to this a bit tonight (couldn't watch the game, had to sleep at some point) I have to agree, Pang was over the top. It's like without Bernie there to provide the extra homerism Pang has to fill in the gaps. Which is a shame because when Pang's a bit more neutral he's a lot better of a color guy. I understand it's the Blues broadcast but...just dial it back a bit.

A wild Strickland appearing also makes me unhappy. I was kinda hoping we were done with that miniature goofball.

Also good to see that the Dirt Cheap commercials haven't improved any. The chicken dance one really represents St. Louis well.

And if I never hear "The Fox Box" again it'll be too soon.
Or, alternatively, they need to put some sort of ridiculous hat on Jimmy Hayes and have "The Cat in the Hat in the Fox Box" to give it that Dr. Seuss flair.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think Jori looks so tired to people is because he is. He's being relied on to be our #1 C ATM and playing close to 20 min a game on the PP and PK as well. As far as I'm concerned he has already done more than I expected him to. Once Stastny comes back and Backes gets a little fresher I'm sure he'll get more limited minutes that will help him keep his energy up.

Amen for this post. Like ~17 TOI/GP, would be best for Jori. Thou now he got more icetime 'cus Stastny out.
Here is list of TOI/GP forwards.

Code:
		TOI/GP
Steen		20:37
Oshie		18:51
Schwartz	17:58
Tarasenko	17:56
Backes	17:18
Berglund	17:01
Lehterä	16:37
Ott		14:25
Stastny	13:28
Lindström	12:06
Lapierre	11:06
Jaskin        10:55
Pääjärvi	10:36
Reaves	7:49
Porter	7:36
Noticed Hitch is using now rotation on SH these 8 guys:

Lapierre, Ott, Steen, Backes, Oshie, Schwartz, Berglund and Lehterä. Stastny played only couple seconds on 4 GP. That is fine to me. When he comes back he can put focus on offensive. I'm thinkin should they dropp out Lehterä also on SH ? Give him more time on PP? Or is that no-brainer on PP that no need to give duo Lehteräsenko same ice time or same shifts? I liked how Jocke was playing on PP, that right side slot like Tarasenko and let rip his shot and there was couple good scoring changes when Jocke shoot that puck.

Here is TOI/60 SH.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Lehterä can do a good job on the PK, but last night it looked like he was having foot speed issues with the quicker avalanche players making plays.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Un-****ing-believable we let that lame team comeback and get a point. Tarasenko was the man again, could have used a little of that Schwatz magic tonight to keep the Avs (who we outplayed badly) from getting anything. Pretty hot right at the moment

34202946.jpg

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Last year Jori player 106 GP and he was got great energy boost last spring in World Championships. (9.5.2014-25.5.2014) He was our clearly best player on Finland national team. Do you remember how Jori owned USA best players in bronze medal match in olympics??

Awesome that is good to know! We're gonna need a non-fatigued Lehtera to have success in the playoffs this year.

RR10*

The entire penalty kill needs to be overhauled.

Part of what made it effective last year was Sobotka and Schwartz playing the part of rat-crazed terriers and pressuring every single puck carrier to distraction. Oshie sort of did this too.
The current system is entirely too passive. I like that Lehtera can recognize certain play types and break them up but he's too passive to have out there with another passive-style player.

Whether this change is because Hitch wants there to be no deviation from the diamond/box or whether it is simply the Blues players being unable/unwilling to force the other teams to remain chased is irrelevant...it needs to stop. Now.

On the powerplay: sorry Steen but you're just not cutting it right now from the point. You're making poor decisions far too often and responding miserably to pressure. Also your shot is being blocked too often as well.
With Lehtera and Tarasenko managing to open the ice down low, you need to be cycling down to take advantage, not glued to your position out high.
PP Unit #2 is pretty much worthless, but I thought that might happen with the lack of decent passers available.

Also, opposing team zone entries:
One of the defensemen has to at least attempt to harass the puck carrier. This is getting ridiculous.
Spot on. I also don't like our small, passive box on the penalty kill. I'e seen it every game and it's terrible. All it does is giving the opposing team space to control the play in our zone and create chances while our goalie is screened - way too risky! Like you said, we should put pressure on the puck carrier.

Another thing is the zone entries. We are giving way too much space to the opposing team through neutral zone, while we barely can get anything going without dumping and chasing. Even on the man advantage we dump and chase every single time, why?! We are second on every puck and the opposing team clears it out of the zone. I really hate seeing Bouwmeester dump it in every ****ing time. Play yourself into the zone for once!

I should add I like our passing on the PP when we have control over the puck. But we really have to work on entering the zone.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Skeptic :laugh:

I've basically ben the biggest Lehterä fan on here for the past few years, I expect him to be a #2C. That doesn't change the fact that his ability to hold up over the course of an entire season is a legitimate question.

He only played 82 games last season, not 106, and NHL games are more taxing than KHL/International games. I hope he maintains his standard, but we shouldn't be surprised if fatigue creeps in towards the end of the year.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
So...

Rangers defense for tomorrow is

Hunwick - Girardi
Staal - Kostka
Allen - McIlrath

Good luck, if you actually need it :laugh:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Amen for this post. Like ~17 TOI/GP, would be best for Jori. Thou now he got more icetime 'cus Stastny out.
Here is list of TOI/GP forwards.

Code:
		TOI/GP
Steen		20:37
Oshie		18:51
Schwartz	17:58
Tarasenko	17:56
Backes	17:18
Berglund	17:01
Lehterä	16:37
[B]Ott		14:25
Stastny	13:28[/B]
Lindström	12:06
Lapierre	11:06
Jaskin        10:55
Pääjärvi	10:36
Reaves	7:49
Porter	7:36
Noticed Hitch is using now rotation on SH these 8 guys:

Lapierre, Ott, Steen, Backes, Oshie, Schwartz, Berglund and Lehterä. Stastny played only couple seconds on 4 GP. That is fine to me. When he comes back he can put focus on offensive. I'm thinkin should they dropp out Lehterä also on SH ? Give him more time on PP? Or is that no-brainer on PP that no need to give duo Lehteräsenko same ice time or same shifts? I liked how Jocke was playing on PP, that right side slot like Tarasenko and let rip his shot and there was couple good scoring changes when Jocke shoot that puck.

Here is TOI/60 SH.

Interesting that Ott is averaging more than Stastny was, now partly because of Stastny's, and Oshie's absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad