The Players' Tribune: … And Then We Got Mario Kart Tattoos by Braden Holtby

Status
Not open for further replies.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I was alive for and put countless hours into all the games on the list save the final two...cause they were just trash.

If I had to bet, I’d wager I have more hours played on SNES, N64 and Gamecube than most people here.

Im just not one to let nostalgia cloud objective evaluation.
For someone who wagers that they have more hours played on SNES, N64, and Gamecube than most people here, your list looks like it was made by someone born after 2003.

Better?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
For someone who wagers that they have more hours played on SNES, N64, and Gamecube than most people here, your list looks like it was made by someone born after 2003.

Better?

If thats the case, people born after 2003 seem pretty smart.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
No, he’s right. CTR was ahead of its time and has aged far better than MK64 as a result. It doesnt have the brand name recognition that MK has, but knowledgeable players recognize its superiority over MK64 in basically every facet of game design.

Better graphics, better track design, better controls, better weapon system, less rubber-banding, higher skill gap, etc.
Oh, thanks for letting me know

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Oh, thanks for letting me know

No problem. Its important that people recognize true craft, even if it doesnt have the brand recognition to penetrate the mainstream at the time of release.

Obviously, that isnt a problem for Naughty Dog anymore. They’ve continued to design and develop some of the best games in the industry since then, and the market has justifiably caught on.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I was alive for and put countless hours into all the games on the list save the final two...cause they were just trash.

If I had to bet, I’d wager I have more hours played on SNES, N64 and Gamecube than most people here.

Im just not one to let nostalgia cloud objective evaluation.

I enjoyed MK64 at the time, even though it was clearly inferior to the original. Double Dash was a disappointing gimmick of a game, but that was basically 90% of the NGC library in a nutshell. The franchise was basically saves by the DS entry and has only improved since.

wait, are you seriously saying MK64 wasn't as good as the SNES version? Because I'm trying to think of a single thing that was better in the original.
Handling - advantage N64
Weapons - advantage N64 (although the feather was really fun)
Map variety - advantage N64
Battle mode - advantage N64

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
wait, are you seriously saying MK64 wasn't as good as the SNES version? Because I'm trying to think of a single thing that was better in the original.
Handling - advantage N64
Weapons - advantage N64 (although the feather was really fun)
Map variety - advantage N64
Battle mode - advantage N64

Battle mode is the only area I agree with.

I’d say MK64 was a clear step back in every other category.

It had more visually impressive tracks (for the time...they actually hold up terribly in retrospect), but veeeerrrrrry basic layouts ( which makes sense, the early days of 3D were very limiting).

Handling was unquestionably worse. This was one of the major improvements DD had over 64.

Weapons were completely unbalanced. This game was probably the nadir of the series as far as undermining player skill by rewarding shit players with power wespon after power weapon. You were better off keeping to the back of the pack til the 3rd lap started than you were actually trying to win. It was hilariously trash design.

MK64 is to kart racers as Goldeneye was to shooters. It seemed like a big deal at the time. In retrospect and in comparison to what came out since, its really just an ugly, clunky mess.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Best console?

It wasnt even the best console of its own generation. :laugh:

It offered two absolutely game-changing games in Mario 64 and Zelda:OOT. Thats pretty much its sum value.
Its all subjective anyways. Even today, I can have more fun playing N64 than I do trying to play half the games they come out with now. Theres so many more than 2 epic games. Perfect Dark, DK64, Goldeneye, Mario Party, Duke Nukem, Mario Tennis, Turok, Ogre Battle...The sum of it's value far exceeds two games, and the fact that it was the Jimi Hendrix of 3D gaming.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Its all subjective anyways. Even today, I can have more fun playing N64 than I do trying to play half the games they come out with now.

That's fine. There are people that say the same thing about Atari 2600 games.

Videogames are a lot like music. There's a sweet-spot somewhere in your personal development or identity development where everything that came out within a certain period is the best thing ever, and everything that has come out since can never measure up.

Reactions: AD Skinner

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Sorry but Double dash not being higher = bad list.

You lose.

Double Dash is a gimmick game with low number of memorable tracks, a wretchedly slow sense of speed, a lack of online play (short of a jimmy-rigged 3rd part option) and too large an emphasis on weapons chaos over skilled racing.

It's not a terrible game. It's fine. It's middle of the pack among Mario Kart games.

It introduced and codified some elements like multi-stage power-slide boosts and character specific traits that would be put to better, more balanced use in future games.

It's the 'Mario Party' of Mario Kart games. If you're bad at racing but love RNG determining winners, you'll like this one a lot.

Last edited:

kungfugazi

Sorgoi Foderev
Nov 11, 2018
QC
General statement, but your first Mario Kart you played at a young age will probably be the one you look back the most fondly, and is also probably your fav. Truth is, they're all good to excellent, they all do the kart racing thing pretty damn well. I really like the newest one tho.

Cool article, too. Got me falling into a Players Tribune rabbit hole. What a great website.

Edit: MK64 vs SNES, general consensus is that the SNES is tighter, better designed and overall the better playing game, and I tend to agree. What people overlook however, is 4 players on the N64. It's more on the console rather than the game itself, but it adds so much when you're a bunch of kids playing together. I understand why people have such strong opinions for the N64 game. For many, it was their first multiplayer (more than 2) game.

Last edited:
Reactions: JaegerDice

member 151739

This was a great article, and I love video games myself, but instead of just deleting pretty much every single post in this thread, I'm going to close it. This is the NHL forum, everybody.

Also Double Dash is the best. Don't @ me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad