The Players' Tribune: … And Then We Got Mario Kart Tattoos by Braden Holtby

Status
Not open for further replies.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Everything about the newest Mario on the Wii U / Switch is better than anything about Mario on N64 aside from Nostalgia.

Controller response, Gameplay, Graphics , Framerate, Customization.

But like Holtby said, there's something more fun and intimate when you have a short chord.

Here's a comparison of Rainbow Road on N64/WiiU (Switch):

Royal Raceway:

Nintendo improved off Mario Kart 64 by ripping off the mechanics and track designs of the Crash racing game by Naughty Dog. MK64 being a good game isn't just nostalgia, it's delusion. CTR was so good, it took Nintendo several gens to catch up

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
SNES Mario Kart is the best one ever, but I am in my late 30's and my opinion is biased since I grew up on SNES and I haven't touched Mario Kart since the N64 when I was still in high school.

I owned that ghost house and rainbow road back in the day.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
that was a really good read, bu chance I clicked on the article by seth jones and that one was even better.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Mario Kart 64 really is the best. I'm glad Schmidt didn't pull out a SNES.

I can only imagine how many OG controllers they go through if they play that often.

Double dash and Wii are slightly better, but all 3 are better than the newest one or the SNES version by far. I haven't played the deluxe version yet though not sure how different it is.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Haha, that's great. Reminds me of the 2010 Blackhawks bonding over Mario Kart Wii on the road.

I used to think Mario Kart 64 was the best, but it really does not hold up well at all.

In retrospect, I'd say it's one of the weaker in the franchise.

I still like it more than the newest one.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I have hundreds of hours sunk into Wii Mario Kart.

I f***ing crush my Fiance every time. Don't know why she tries TBH. Bless her.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
Nintendo improved off Mario Kart 64 by ripping off the mechanics and track designs of the Crash racing game by Naughty Dog. MK64 being a good game isn't just nostalgia, it's delusion. CTR was so good, it took Nintendo several gens to catch up

Lol! CTR is a garbage game

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Also, I really admire the ghostwriters at Player's tribune. The stories are great, of course, but even when they aren't, the writing is top notch.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
N64 is still the best console they ever made, and MK64 holds up just fine.

Always seems to be about graphics with kids these days.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
N64 is still the best console they ever made, and MK64 holds up just fine.

Always seems to be about graphics with kids these days.

Best console?

It wasnt even the best console of its own generation. :laugh:

It offered two absolutely game-changing games in Mario 64 and Zelda:OOT. Thats pretty much its sum value.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Lol! CTR is a garbage game

No, he’s right. CTR was ahead of its time and has aged far better than MK64 as a result. It doesnt have the brand name recognition that MK has, but knowledgeable players recognize its superiority over MK64 in basically every facet of game design.

Better graphics, better track design, better controls, better weapon system, less rubber-banding, higher skill gap, etc.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Your list looks like it was made by someone born after 2003.

I was alive for and put countless hours into all the games on the list save the final two...cause they were just trash.

If I had to bet, I’d wager I have more hours played on SNES, N64 and Gamecube than most people here.

Im just not one to let nostalgia cloud objective evaluation.

I enjoyed MK64 at the time, even though it was clearly inferior to the original. Double Dash was a disappointing gimmick of a game, but that was basically 90% of the NGC library in a nutshell. The franchise was basically saves by the DS entry and has only improved since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->