• 2018 Off-Season Thread •

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jk said they tried with Cole.

And i think you're all dismissing Torts factor a lot there with Vanek,Calvert etc... Tomas been there, heard that. Even Panarin said he felt he's been overplayed in playoffs and he clearly didn't like that(my impression).

Which is why he (imo) would be pretty excited about any quality depth moves Jarmo makes. Everything Jarmo does that takes pressure of Panarin he should love.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Growing from within is all fine and dandy, but with who? Who is replacing Calvert's role? Cole? Vanek? Letting these guys walk is OK when you have a Bjorkstrand, PLD, and Anderson on the way like we did 2-3 years ago. But now they're here. Nobody is pushing from Cleveland, especially at forward. I think its reasonable to expect the young guys to get better, but sometimes progression isn't always linear and we all know how up and down Torts is with his minutes (especially with Bjorkstrand). Who is stepping into these roles that our departed depth stood in? It's valid concerns and I think we need outside help in our bottom 6 and especially on defense. Dean Kukan is fine as a 7th D, but I don't trust him as an everyday guy.

Counting on growth from within is NOT what cup contenders do. At least not on its own. We need to make moves. Not a ton, mind you, but there needs to be additions to the roster outside of hoping people bounce back and/or improve.

Actually, I expect Robison to take Calvert's spot nicely.

And yes championship teams do build internally, that's exactly what this year's caps did. Outta party of the salary cap and having marquee payers that got paid.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Which is why he (imo) would be pretty excited about any quality depth moves Jarmo makes. Everything Jarmo does that takes pressure of Panarin he should love.
Torts had plenty of dept though last season. He just chooses to run his top 2 lines into the ground. I’m not going there though today, as far as Torts :deadhorse

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

And yes championship teams do build internally, that's exactly what this year's caps did. Outta party of the salary cap and having marquee payers that got paid.
I honestly keep forgetting about Robinson. He looked really good in the 3on3. We'll see how he looks against the rest of the team.

There's gonna be A LOT of competition for a couple spots.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Yes, their core came from within. Ovechkin, Carlson, Orlov, Holtby, Kuznetsov, etc. But they were already elite/very good players before this year. It is important that you draft/develop your core. I said contenders don't only build from within.

DSP, Kempny, Connolly, Chiasson, etc were very important depth pieces that the Caps got over the past year or so. Pretty important pieces for their run. These are the type of players we need (as in depth, not as in style of play), and this is what we currently do not have.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I want Peeke signing so bad, is he going to college for 3rd year? Anyone knows?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I honestly keep forgetting about Robinson. He looked really good in the 3on3. We'll see how he looks against the rest of the team.

There's gonna be A LOT of competition for a couple spots.

Yeah -- Broadhurst, Robinson, and Davidsson will compete for Calvert's spot. I think between those three we'll find a serviceable replacement.

My concern is offense. Jackets were 17th overall in goals scored. Only one team below them made the playoffs (Ducks) -- the rest all missed. That's as bubble as bubble can get.

They have got to get more offensive production. Abramov is the only prospect I can see that has any potential to make a dent there. So barring any top 6 help the front office is putting a lot of faith in the "improve from within" basket.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yes, their core came from within. Ovechkin, Carlson, Orlov, Holtby, Kuznetsov, etc. But they were already elite/very good players before this year. It is important that you draft/develop your core. I said contenders don't only build from within.

DSP, Kempny, Connolly, Chiasson, etc were very important depth pieces that the Caps got over the past year or so. Pretty important pieces for their run. These are the type of players we need (as in depth, not as in style of play), and this is what we currently do not have.

I agree that they were very important for the Caps, and we need to make sure we have those depth guys in place. I just want to point out that they were all marginal NHLers a year ago, and didn't have great seasons. The Caps had just shed MoJo and some other players because of cap problems and were filling their roster with rejects from other clubs. DSP was bought out, Kempny was a permanent scratch for the Hawks, Connolly had better standing than that but was a fourth liner penciled in on the third line, statistically worse than any player penciled in on the Jackets third line. Some prognosticators, like Dom, had us beating the Caps because the Caps depth players were statistically worse going into it. It didn't turn out that way. DSP and Kempny both stepped up big time. Stephenson is really good. Eller and Beagle were infinitely better than Foligno and Dubinsky/Letestu at 3C and 4C.

If we had an Eller at 3C it would make a huge difference. I don't think our depth wings are bad as is, they look better than what the Caps have.

Perron, 4x4 to STL

This makes me kind of pissed. What a steal for Perron. Even in his down years he adds grit. And he had 50 assists last year!

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
This makes me kind of pissed. What a steal for Perron. Even in his down years he adds grit. And he had 50 assists last year!

Agreed, especially if we had that $$ bookmarked for Cole who seemingly will be going elsewhere.

EDIT: appears Chicago didn't land Cole so maybe still have a chance....

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

To have 50 assists you need someone(s) to score 50 goals. Unless he triple shifted and played 27.9 minutes a game I think he'd have a hard time finding line mates to do that with the current roster.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m sure all these serviceable depth guys being discussed are fully capable of chipping in 4-7 goals this year, making Vanek’s 20 or so merely redunadant offense. :naughty:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
To have 50 assists you need someone(s) to score 50 goals. Unless he triple shifted and played 27.9 minutes a game I think he'd have a hard time finding line mates to do that with the current roster.

I don't agree. You can't passively rack up 50 assists, you have to be the one to create those chances. And we have goal scorers - plenty of guys who can put together an odd 30 goal season, but need help creating chances.

Reactions: CPTN71

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Cole is a great player to trade for during the season to help in the playoffs. I'm not sure I'd sign him for more than one year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad