“There wasn’t much but I wanted a penalty against Nashville” UPD Tim Peel early retirement PART 2

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The worst thing about this whole thing is the number of people who are writing this off as a bad referee and not a serious problem with how NHL games are officiated in general, which is certainly something that is directed from the league office. Game management is stupid and needs to stop. If there's a penalty, call it. If not, don't.

It's not like we're dealing with rogue actors here.

That's literally all we want. But for the NHL to expand, they feel like it's the best thing to do. If games are blowouts or one team keeps committing infractions, they will probably lose a lot of casual viewers and it's harder to sell a non-competitive game to newer markets. For the leagues economic well being it's the best play but for the integrity of the game and what most of us die hard hockey fans want, it's complete BS.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Okay. Constructive dismissal then. Tomato/Tomato. Unless they continue to pay him his exact same salary (or however his compensation works).
I'd be absolutely shocked if the referee CBA didn't have a clause for the NHL to exercise to terminate a ref who says/does something embarrassing in public. They're so paranoid about hiding the refs, there's just no way they don't also have a contractual way to force them to stay hidden.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
In a perfect world, a great game is when neither side (or fans) notice the ref. Of course if I challenged all of us to name 10 current refs, we’d probably struggle. That’s probably a good sign.

Two obvious anomalies (prior to this incident) would be Peel and Lee — and NOT for the right reason.

Meanwhile Kerry (how does my hair look?) Fraser states the problem is the hot mikes.

I would submit that in many cases, part of the problem is ego. Kerry always wanted you to know he was “the man” on the ice. I pay to watch the players not the refs.

The League would be well served to clearly and publicly instruct refs to not “manage the game” with the exception of when things get overly nasty (handing out misconducts to get problem players off ice when things have got out of hand, for example).

The next thing I’d do is survey the refs and get a feel for who wants the nameplates back on their jerseys. Those who do aren’t fit for purpose. I bet you Kerry wanted his name in BIGGER font than the players. After all, he was the boss, what with his objective to manage the game and all.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I wish it was Sutherland, that dude despises the Canucks for some bizarre reason, especially in playoff games. When a fanbase starts to become too familiar with a ref’s name, you know he’s a problem.
The NHL should be ashamed for continuing to employ Sutherland after his history of match fixing. It's an absolute joke that he's allowed to work Canucks games given his inability or unwillingness to act like a professional and call the game honestly. When I see he's working a Canucks game, I bet on the other team. That's a huge problem for the the league.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Now just wait for Tim Peel to expose the NHL; they just banned one of their puppets.
They basically suspended him with pay and allowed him to slip out the back door in a month or so and ride off into the sunset. Any ref with a brain in their head's probably got enough evidence to bury the league if any of them were to come under individual scrutiny for their conduct in a sports betting sort of way, so I'd imagine they're probably in still in it together for the long haul. Maybe not as buddies but from a mutually assured destruction sort of standpoint, I can't imagine one being able to flex their upper hand on the other.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If by "disgrace" you mean "martyr", then I agree. I also agree he was a shit ref.
Peel maybe indeed be a martyr, he is not the only problem. But there are two issues to consider:

1) He is easily one of the most disliked refs. Universally. Not much bias there, many NHL fans felt he was crap well before this. The only thing worse than being universally viewed as a poor ref is being viewed as biased against certain teams.

2) He was an idiot for saying this, whether he felt he was supposed to manage games or not. The fact that he is oblivious to “hot mikes” shows what a fool he is.

So......

Martyr? Check
Fool? Check
Crappy ref to begin with? Check

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
In a perfect world, a great game is when neither side (or fans) notice the ref. Of course if I challenged all of us to name 10 current refs, we’d probably struggle. That’s probably a good sign.

Two obvious anomalies (prior to this incident) would be Peel and Lee — and NOT for the right reason.

Meanwhile Kerry (how does my hair look?) Fraser states the problem is the hot mikes.

I would submit that in many cases, part of the problem is ego. Kerry always wanted you to know he was “the man” on the ice. I pay to watch the players not the refs.

The League would be well served to clearly and publicly instruct refs to not “manage the game” with the exception of when things get overly nasty (handing out misconducts to get problem players off ice when things have got out of hand, for example).

The next thing I’d do is survey the refs and get a feel for who wants the nameplates back on their jerseys. Those who do aren’t fit for purpose. I bet you Kerry wanted his name in BIGGER font than the players. After all, he was the boss, what with his objective to manage the game and all.

If the refs had their names on the back of their shirts, I think we'd all remember each and every one of them, along with every dumb call they made. The league tries to protect them and keep them away from the spotlight. You wont ever see a ref doing a post-game interview or have his name mentioned during play-by-play the entire game.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
If the refs had their names on the back of their shirts, I think we'd all remember each and every one of them, along with every dumb call they made. The league tries to protect them and keep them away from the spotlight. You wont ever see a ref doing a post-game interview or have his name mentioned during play-by-play the entire game.
And even if you dare criticize them, that's a fine. The amount of power they have when they all fail to do their jobs properly is laughable.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If the games were called by the book most fans would lose their damn minds. Imagine having games where one team gets 15 PPs and the other a couple at most, the bitching and moaning would be insane.
I mean, tough shit. If you can show me 15 valid hooks and trips, and the other team isn't suffering from a lot of missed calls...

You don't get mad at the home plate umpire because one pitcher can't keep the ball in the strike zone, as long as the strike zone is the same for both sides. Replace your pitcher. Some teams won't immediately be equipped to handle that, sure, because they've built for a league where they know they're going to get calls their way eventually and they don't mind holding players with shitty penalty differentials, but that's part of change. Happened after the 04-05 lockout too, just deal with it and evolve.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Used to be. There was a reason they took nameplates off years ago. There’s also a reason many NHL fans on all teams knew Tim Peel’s name well before this (and AFTER nameplates were removed). And not for a reason the NHL should be proud of.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
What's the alternative to the system now in place? Call "everything"?

We tried that and it was terrible. The flow of the game was completely interrupted plus the puck became dead because of constant crease violations.

Good refs are hard to find. Just look at International tournaments - the bias is infinitely terrible compared to the NHL. Just going to the two ref system got us Stephane Auger. When the officials went on strike, the players took advantage of the replacements and started killing each other.

Reactions: HBK27

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If the games were called by the book most fans would lose their damn minds. Imagine having games where one team gets 15 PPs and the other a couple at most, the bitching and moaning would be insane.

Not really. Maybe in the beginning it would but players would react and change how they play to go with the rules. It's not like they were different in juniors or in the games they played growing up. The fact that they give leeway is the problem and makes it so they don't always follow the rules.

If you can get away with it and you know the situation that they usually call it or don't then this gives leeway to guys like Wilson or others to goon it up or take advantage of the game management or situation in the game. Refs are pretty good at making sure it doesn't get too out of hand but they do manage it this way and it does give way for dumb things to happen when if you called it by the book guys won't do it because they know what the result will be.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Instead we have one team with 4 pp the other with 3 ever single game and if one teams is up 4-1 in the pp then they are 100% for sure going to get the next two called against them.

If the league wants to go back to the relaxed clutch and grab style fine but if one team is doing it all game and the other a few time there should be a large disparity.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Do I recall wrong or usually when it came to the worst refs in the League Peel used to be pretty much the first name to come up? Well, now we have a proof he was in bad faith. Glad this bum got fired, but it shows the NHL as a whole is rigged.
Yah hes vilified amongst Avs fans. Someone posted the Avs record with him as a ref lol.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I mean, tough shit. If you can show me 15 valid hooks and trips, and the other team isn't suffering from a lot of missed calls...

You don't get mad at the home plate umpire because one pitcher can't keep the ball in the strike zone, as long as the strike zone is the same for both sides. Replace your pitcher. Some teams won't immediately be equipped to handle that, sure, because they've built for a league where they know they're going to get calls their way eventually and they don't mind holding players with shitty penalty differentials, but that's part of change. Happened after the 04-05 lockout too, just deal with it and evolve.
I agree, but calling the games right would be the biggest single change the game has seen possibly ever. Some players would draw penalties left and right, some teams would be on the PK constantly, crappier teams would be spanked more often, there wouldn't be as much of the NHL's prefered fake parity, playoffs would be much different etc.

They won't start calling things by the book and fairly, the league doesn't really want that.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Was it chris Lee that horse collared yakupov to the ice injuring him in the process?

Because you know how physical yakupov is....had to be done....
It was a random linesman, not Chris Lee. And it was because the guy seemingly didn't know how to skate and was trying to hold onto people for balance. It was ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad