Friedman: “Stealth team for Noah Hanifin: Vancouver”

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'd be thrilled if we got Hanifin, but probably not at what the cost would be.
Assuming we don't deal Horvat, Boeser, or Pettersson, the only valuable assets that aren't untouchable we have are: 7th overall, Juolevi, Tanev, Gaudette, and Demko. I really hope we don't trade the bolded.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
How far apart in value is the 7th overall pick and Hanifin, straight up?
I only ask this because this draft is a bit different, with picks 4-7 likely having plenty of great defencemen available to draft. If Hanifin was in this draft, would he be a clear cut ahead of Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson, and Bouchard?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I mean they took him at 5 and he hasnt disappointed and is more developed than any prospect from this draft. Add in that Vancouver likely doesnt want to move their proven forwards and the only logical trade is 7th + for Hanifin.

Uhh McDavid, Eichel, and Marner all went ahead of him and are all more developed. That's not even considering Provorov or Werenski.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hanifin is a stud. Young potential #1 D in the making.

Canes should ask for Pettersson+ or Horvat+

No reason they should ask for anything less if a less proven Jones can return a #1 C like Johansen.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Uhh McDavid, Eichel, and Marner all went ahead of him and are all more developed. That's not even considering Provorov or Werenski.

This, not his. I'm assuming they mean hes more developed than anyone you take in the 2018 draft. Seems like an odd comment though, as someone drafted two years ago being more developed should go without saying.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This, not his. I'm assuming they mean hes more developed than anyone you take in the 2018 draft. Seems like an odd comment though, as someone drafted two years ago being more developed should go without saying.

Ok I misunderstood the comment then. Of course someone with three years of NHL experience is more developed than a kid in junior who is 3 years younger. Would be nice if that strategy worked.

"Hey Carolina, now I know you like this Salavin kid, but Marleau is WAYY more developed than he is. Maybe we can work something out?".

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Unproven NHL talent for a proven top pairing dman. Does that trade make sense to you?

You could use this logic for ANY prospect/draft pick trade for an NHLer. Clearly, GMs think differently than you do. Can't think of a good comparable right now, but one that comes to mind is Iginla for Nieuwendyk even though Iginla hadn't played a game in the NHL at that point.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hanifin doesn't have the offensive puck moving skills to be a true #1 on a contender. He will be in the Hampus Lindholm mold. A solid #2.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I’m sure if we pulled up the TOI he’d be behind Pesce and Slavin as a minimum.

That's because those 2 are premiere top pairing shut down dman that are mobile and big. Disagree? Where does hanafan stack up in pairings in Vancouver?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
more developed than any prospect from "this" draft

As in no one from this draft, the one happening in a month, will be as far developped except for maybe Dahlin. He has done nothing to disappoint and has 3 years of development under his belt. At this point I dont see how he isnt worth slightly more than the 5th. So 7th + is completely reasonable

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I wonder what we would have to throw to Carolina to get them talking?

If we keep Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson and our 1st this year it's a steal and we should do it with no thought. If this rumor is true, and Friedman backs it up with nothing but a sentence, I wonder which of the 4 pieces is the starting point....

elitebottomsix

Feb 19, 2016
Hanifin for Juolevi bartschi Hutton.

Canes

bartschi helps replace skinner when they trade him. Hutton replaces Hanifin on third pair next year and add a top d prospect in Juolevi.

Canucks

Add young nhl dman that has a good shot of developing into top pair guy. (So could Juolevi but Hanifin the safer bet at this point).

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
It was just meant as he was a 5th overall pick who hasnt disappointed and has 3 years of development under his belt. I wouldnt move a player that like that for the 5th again and hope the new player develops equally well. So I would assume pick wise it would have to be 7th + something semi decent seeing as they would have no reason to deal him for the 5th pick alone and Vancouver dont even have that one

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad