Friedman: “Stealth team for Noah Hanifin: Vancouver”

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Very likely "No" on both Baertchi and #7 for the Canes with the inclusion of one of your named "core" as a centerpiece.

I honestly think you are missing the point on both Hanifin and the Canucks 7th

1st off...Hanifin is a good looking young Dman, who has shown good offensive numbers since his draft year, but has also shown that he is average defensively........for his draft position, I don't thing he has progressed to where his draft indication had put him.......In a re-draft does he go in the same draft position? (In hind sight)

As for the 7th, this IMO will have the exact same value as Hanifin, and will be looked at as a core piece for Vancouver...........unproven, yes..........but possblity having a higher ceiling than Hanifin has shown...........
Tkachuk and Wahlstrom, could both turn out to be exactly what the Canes need, and could turn out to be in their core

If I am Vancouver, This is what I trade you.....straight across.......if you want more, we will want more.........

I will give you this..........

Vancouver trades 2018 7th OA + DiPietro
for
Hanifin + 2018 2nd

Why DiPietro? Well, he was an early 3rd when drafted, and has moved up the goalie prospects list, with an extremely good draft+1 season, it is a move Vancouver could well regret

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Just a quick note.......just checked 2015 redrafts, and Hanifin
redrafts at anywhere from 7 to 10......leaning on about a 8.5 draft position
To me, that looks pretty close to the 2018 7th OA
Thoughts?

manroth19

May 20, 2015
There’s no way canes and van makes a hanifin trade. What’s the add to the 7? OJ Virtanen couldn’t be involved on pure optics 7oa + former 5/6 oa for a former 5 oa......I’m not saying that should matter what so ever but I just can’t see it happening

I kinda doubt Demko gets moved. He’s more valuable to the Canucks then his value is on the open market

Are the Canes really gonna accept a bunch of futures even if they are decent? Doubt it. Can’t see the likes of a Lind Dhalen Gadjovich moving the needle enough

How does half the league not outbid Vancouver? Even if the Canes will only trade him to the west which would be dumb

Arizona something around strome
Edm pool party or RNH
Blues Thomas
Wild whoever they’re loaded
Kings something around Carter
And I’m sure almost every other team will kick the tires

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I honestly think you are missing the point on both Hanifin and the Canucks 7th

1st off...Hanifin is a good looking young Dman, who has shown good offensive numbers since his draft year, but has also shown that he is average defensively........for his draft position, I don't thing he has progressed to where his draft indication had put him.......In a re-draft does he go in the same draft position? (In hind sight)

As for the 7th, this IMO will have the exact same value as Hanifin, and will be looked at as a core piece for Vancouver...........unproven, yes..........but possblity having a higher ceiling than Hanifin has shown...........

Possibly, but possibly a lower ceiling and lower floor also. You can't just look at 1 side of it.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Thoughts?

Can’t really look at it that way. Aho is in that same range in a re-draft and there isn’t a chance in hell they’d trade him for 7OA. Boeser is probably in a similar range, would you trade him for 7OA?

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Possibly, but possibly a lower ceiling and lower floor also. You can't just look at 1 side of it.

I do get your point, and that is why I say it is a saw off.............Hanifin = 7th OA
but it does make me nervous that Hanifin has been booking a -20 average for his first 3 years
I don't have access to the analytics, that some have, but it does indicate something
The numbers kind of remind me a little of our own Derek Pouliot -22 and 22 points

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Thoughts?

Just as a neutral observer, you can’t make that kind of comparison without context. The 2015 draft is shaping up to be the best since 2003.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
How does half the league not outbid Vancouver? Even if the Canes will only trade him to the west which would be dumb

Arizona something around strome
Edm pool party or RNH
Blues Thomas
Wild whoever they’re loaded
Kings something around Carter
And I’m sure almost every other team will kick the tires
You can definitely cross the Blues off that list, probably Arizona too (at least at the cost of Strome). Minnesota has bigger concerns than LHD, plus they already have Suter and Brodin holding down the top 4 LHD spots. Not sure any of those deals are realistic TBH.

Every team would love to have Hanafin, but the list of teams willing to pay the high price for him would be a lot shorter than you seem to think. Especially if Carolina won't would only move him out west. Just my 2 cents.

manroth19

May 20, 2015
You can definitely cross the Blues off that list, probably Arizona too (at least at the cost of Strome). Minnesota has bigger concerns than LHD, plus they already have Suter and Brodin holding down the top 4 LHD spots. Not sure any of those deals are realistic TBH.

Every team would love to have Hanafin, but the list of teams willing to pay the high price for him would be a lot shorter than you seem to think. Especially if Carolina won't would only move him out west. Just my 2 cents.

Definitely not St Louis eh? That’s interesting to me, I figured with boumeister not getting any younger he’s a perfect fit for their nice little retool they’re doing over their. Gunnerson and edmunson are fine players for sure but I always look at their left side getting carried by the right side.

You are a blues fan so maybe I’m way way off in my thinking. They’re actually my #1 team if I had to put money down where he goes but maybe I’m drunk.....again

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Definitely not St Louis eh? That’s interesting to me, I figured with boumeister not getting any younger he’s a perfect fit for their nice little retool they’re doing over their. Gunnerson and edmunson are fine players for sure but I always look at their left side getting carried by the right side.

You are a blues fan so maybe I’m way way off in my thinking. They’re actually my #1 team if I had to put money down where he goes but maybe I’m drunk.....again
Vince Dunn at eliteprospects.com

Hanafin will not be going to St. Louis. Seriously, you can cross them off your list.

It's not that the Blues wouldn't love to have Hanafin, but there's no way they'd pay the high price for him. We have internal replacements for Gunnar/Bouwmeester in the top 4 in Dunn and Edmundson. Then there's guys like Walman and Mikkola who will hopefully be pushing for a spot in the next year or two. Bortuzzo can also play the left side fairly well on the bottom pairing if necessary. If anything, they may have to sign some bottom pairing LHD depth, but that can be done for cheap.

The Blues' left side is definitely weaker than the right, but considering how strong their right side is...I would assume a marginal upgrade to the left side is pretty low on their to-do list.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I wouldn't be against Minnesota trading for him. It'd probably mean trading Brodin in a separate move, but that's the sort of roster juggling one might expect out of Fenton this summer.

I don't think we really have what Carolina would be after, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad