Post-Game Talk: “Okay campers, rise, and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cold out there…“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I hope this play/coaching is just that the team doesn’t care because they’re in the playoffs and they don’t want to give away too much strategy lol…on the other hand, this was absolute shit coaching and Sullivan should be embarrassed…not just the lines but he had last change and he matched up nothing! I mean MacKinnon on L4, Colorado had every line matchup they wanted out there…just shit coaching all around…

having said that, this team is probably worse than last year’s team…we’re basically maxed out at scoring 3 goals against good teams…that’s our ceiling…we’re going nowhere unless Jarry puts together another Binnington type run from out of thin air…

Reactions: ncm7772

Glamor Toad

Jun 30, 2009
Poitiers
At least they won't have to play the Isles in the playoffs. I bet the big 3 pull their head out of their ass long enough to make it entertaining.
But if this game was entertaining it wasn't thanks to them

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
What can you say, Avs are just too good for an aging team like Pittsburgh to compete against. They were missing some key guys too, could have been uglier. Have to think they're the favorite to win the cup. Would love to see a Florida Colorado final, would be a lot of offense.

Reactions: Victor Z and Andy99

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
It's deja vu. It's so familiar. We are doing the same things that we did the last three years.

I said all year we had a good team with a lot of potential. We have a great goalie. We have players that can score. But we aren't talented enough to play as individuals, and we aren't talented enough to mess around with lines to cater to one player.

Somebody in the game thread told me to be a fan of the team not the player. I started watching the pens almost 30 years ago so whatever. What some people don't seem to grasp is that we are a worse team when this line stays together. I'm sorry but we are. They buzz around and they score, but they also give up critical goals. More importantly, the other lines are jumbled because of it.

If this team thinks it can win in the playoffs with one superstar as currently constructed, they are in for a rude awakening most likely in the first round but definitely the second. If you want to do the one superstar thing you need to let Malkin walk and build around Crosby. Because what we're doing isn't working.

With this lack of talent, both top lines need to be scoring and both superstars need players who compliment them. Putting 37 year old Carter on 35 year old Malkin's wing after Carter has played a lot of minutes this year and is obviously slower might be the dumbest thing Sully has done all year. This line is like -8 since it was put together, Malkin never has the puck and is chasing it all game, and Rakell is invisible because he never has the puck. They had ONE good shift.

The other lines suck as well. Kapanen needs to play with Carter.

People can say whatever. This isn't about Sid vs Geno, although I will call out the hypocrisy in how they are treated when I see it. This team will not win with these lines and with Malkin chasing the puck at 35 years old and getting zero points until the net is empty. Bitch and moan if you like I guess, there are three years of evidence for this and it should be obvious after watching recent games.

Sullivan feels no pressure to change and I don't think a first round exit will get him fired either. I'm not saying we win the Cup if he changes the lines and usage. But your job is to put the best team out there and he isn't.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I hope this play/coaching is just that the team doesn’t care because they’re in the playoffs and they don’t want to give away too much strategy lol…on the other hand, this was absolute shit coaching and Sullivan should be embarrassed…not just the lines but he had last change and he matched up nothing! I mean MacKinnon on L4, Colorado had every line matchup they wanted out there…just shit coaching all around…

having said that, this team is probably worse than last year’s team…we’re basically maxed out at scoring 3 goals against good teams…that’s our ceiling…we’re going nowhere unless Jarry puts together another Binnington type run from out of thin air…
Players might not care so much,,,but Sullivan did put Jake and Sid out there to pk at the end, so he was trying something. I don’t think it was very smart, but he did it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Our decision-making with the puck against fast teams leaves a lot to be desired.

Took 58 minutes for them to feel urgency. Even then...

You can't have Carter on Malkin's RW. That needs to end as of today.

Carter needs to go back to 3C. Bleuger back to 4C.

Angello shouldn't see another game.

They need to start no-fapping or going cold turkey on their girls in order to grow a sack so when they enter the zone they do SOMETHING - ANYTHING ...but pull up a flub a pass to the trailer.

Major minus to Sullivan for not switching anything up at any point sans one time putting Malkin with Sid.

And last, flat out the Avs are better. There's a reason they are the top team in the league. They are good. They have everything. They're fun to watch and play against.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think changing things to its current configuration has seriously depleted the depth.

They have packed the top 2 lines... I don't like it. There's no punch from them as they are.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Lol to say Sullivan is fine and then that our players are good but not good enough is an interesting take. For sure.

The players matter way more than the coach, and ours are too old to be cup winners.

In an effort to get additional impact we sunk a bunch of 1sts and prospects into some wingers who kinda help but not really. We carry three expensive LD for some reason. Our goalie can run very very hot but he isn't right now.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Nah, that's not what's happening. Pens are trying hard and were just outmatched.

Maybe not the Pens best, but their average is very clearly stronger than our average.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Poppa Pump

Holla If Ya Hear Me
Feb 22, 2009
The Zucker injury sucks and really f***ed things up.

I wanted to see what L2 would look like with Carter on RW. I've seen enough and don't want to see it anymore.

If Zucker isn't ready Thursday.... and we're dressing the same forwards as tonight....I hate to say it, but

Guentzel Crosby Erod
Rakell Malkin Rust
Heinen Carter Kapanen
Boyle Blueger Angello

If Zucker is ready, and I hope to Christ he is....and if we're dressing the same forwards as tonight

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Zucker Malkin Rakell
Erod Carter Kapanen
Boyle Blueger Heinen

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Players might not care so much,,,but Sullivan did put Jake and Sid out there to pk at the end, so he was trying something. I don’t think it was very smart, but he did it.
You know, it’s over when you’re down 5-2 the last three minutes of the game…that’s just garbage time…experiment a lot the f**k earlier…I don’t give him credit for that

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It's deja vu. It's so familiar. We are doing the same things that we did the last three years.

I said all year we had a good team with a lot of potential. We have a great goalie. We have players that can score. But we aren't talented enough to play as individuals, and we aren't talented enough to mess around with lines to cater to one player.

Somebody in the game thread told me to be a fan of the team not the player. I started watching the pens almost 30 years ago so whatever. What some people don't seem to grasp is that we are a worse team when this line stays together. I'm sorry but we are. They buzz around and they score, but they also give up critical goals. More importantly, the other lines are jumbled because of it.

If this team thinks it can win in the playoffs with one superstar as currently constructed, they are in for a rude awakening most likely in the first round but definitely the second. If you want to do the one superstar thing you need to let Malkin walk and build around Crosby. Because what we're doing isn't working.

With this lack of talent, both top lines need to be scoring and both superstars need players who compliment them. Putting 37 year old Carter on 35 year old Malkin's wing after Carter has played a lot of minutes this year and is obviously slower might be the dumbest thing Sully has done all year. This line is like -8 since it was put together, Malkin never has the puck and is chasing it all game, and Rakell is invisible because he never has the puck. They had ONE good shift.

The other lines suck as well. Kapanen needs to play with Carter.

People can say whatever. This isn't about Sid vs Geno, although I will call out the hypocrisy in how they are treated when I see it. This team will not win with these lines and with Malkin chasing the puck at 35 years old and getting zero points until the net is empty. Bitch and moan if you like I guess, there are three years of evidence for this and it should be obvious after watching recent games.

Sullivan feels no pressure to change and I don't think a first round exit will get him fired either. I'm not saying we win the Cup if he changes the lines and usage. But your job is to put the best team out there and he isn't.
But even if he puts Rust back and Geno struggles, you will say Geno needs Jake too. If he puts Jake there and Geno struggles, it will be because Rust sucks and he needs Rakell. You see where I’m going with this? It’s like the grass is always greener for you. At some point Geno needs to be better defensively. It’s not always about what Sid has and Geno doesn’t.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Nah, that's not what's happening. Pens are trying hard and were just outmatched.

Maybe not the Pens best, but their average is very clearly stronger than our average.

I don’t see any energy guys on this squad. Zucker and McGinn are the two making plays like Cogs did or Toews did last game.

Just no desperation or emotion in the Penguins game lately.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
But even if he puts Rust back and Geno struggles, you will say Geno needs Jake too. If he puts Jake there and Geno struggles, it will be because Rust sucks and he needs Rakell. You see where I’m going with this? It’s like the grass is always greener for you. At some point Geno needs to be better defensively. It’s not always about what Sid has and Geno doesn’t.
When Sid was hurt Malkin Rust and Guentzel was the best line in hockey and it was broken up for Sid. That was two years ago now and everyone is past that. You're setting strawmen up and knocking them down. This isn't about Sid vs Geno for me. It's about getting both superstars the players they need to play well. We aren't doing that. I don't know why. Is it to cater to Sid? No idea. Is it just that Sullivan loves that line like he loved Blueger with ZAR? No idea. Does it matter? Malkin is 35 years old. You can't give the two best wingers to Sid and put a 37 year old with Malkin and tell Malkin to buck up, kid. Malkin's been fine defensively all year. According to Sullivan.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Geno just zooms around defensively freelancing and letting his point man walk to the dot. Because he's gone for a skate behind him. Maybe it's better that he just glides around because his stop/start is so terrible.

He can accomplish defensive things (win battles, steal the puck) but overall he's a hot mess in his own zone. Fans see the cool defensive stuff and think he's playing better defense in totality - he isn't.

I do think Geno is lost without Rust to be the main offensive driver. Geno needs someone at or above his level. I had some hopes for Carter but he ain't it. Zuck may help with the line's footspeed issue at least.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Both Sid and Geno were -1 tonight…I didn’t see Geno being any worse defensively than Sid…of course I only watched from the middle of the second period to the end

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad