Sportsnet: “Increased urgency” to sign NHL’s remaining free agents

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I think the Blues end up with either of the above players. I'm torn because Hoffman is more what they "need" with Tarasenko out for most, if not all of the coming season but Granlund is definitely more the Blues' type player. We shall see.

I have a gut feeling that you’re right. I’d be perfectly fine with either, to be honest. Hoffman helps more while Vladi is out(and goal scoring in general), whereas Granlund is more versatile, and a better stylistic fit.

Schenn-O’Reilly-Perron
Schwartz-Thomas-Hoffman/Granlund
Sanford-Bozak-Kyrou
Blais/Clifford-Barbashev-Sundqvist
MacEachern

Then

Schwartz-O’Reilly-Perron
Schenn-Thomas-Tarasenko
Sanford-Bozak-Hoffman/Granlund
Blais/Clifford-Barbashev-Sundqvist
Kyrou

Yeah, I love those lines. I do think Bozak gets dealt though if Kyrou proves to be a full-time player(and they stay healthy, of course). You could run 90/57, 17/10, and 18-91 as duos in the top 9, and put Hoffman/Granlund, Sanford, and Kyrou wherever they fit best. That’d also be a matchup nightmare 5v5.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'd be surprised if Winnipeg isn't in the mix. Seems like there should be mutual interest.

given his reasoning for not wanting to play last time ...... wouldn’t he be less likely to play now? I mean if his daughter has health issues that could put her at risk. He is much more likely to bring it home traveling across Canada.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
given his reasoning for not wanting to play last time ...... wouldn’t he be less likely to play now? I mean if his daughter has health issues that could put her at risk. He is much more likely to bring it home traveling across Canada.

I mean, there's certainly a possibility he will just skip this year. I don't think he'd get more than $2M on a one year deal anyway. But if he were to play, Winnipeg makes all kinds of sense IMO.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
There should be increased urgency, but that doesn't seem to have translated to more UFA signings up to this point.

I'm no clairvoyant, but I can see the possibility for some late (last minute), low $ bargain signings with time dwindling before the season starts.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
There is another thread already with this exact same topic.

There should be some urgency to get these UFAs signed, but that hasn't materialized yet.

I suspect there will be some last minute, low $, bargain signings. NHL Owners know they will lose money this year, and will try minimize their losses. They probably aren't thrilled about the prospects of being repaid by the players over the next 2 or 3 years because of the HRR shortfalls.

Reactions: Waterbuf

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Man, seeing some of the guys remaining im kicking myself as a Leafs fan. Maybe we signed a few too many guys a bit too early.
No offence to Simmonds, but im not confident he can still be the player he once was.
Boyd is at 700k, but he may end up only being a few 100k cheaper than a Perry.

I think im going to really prefer the Perry contract once he chooses a spot. Similar style grinder and pest, but who had a heck of a playoff run.

Duclair vs Simmonds. I take Duclair any day of the week.

Hamonic, Rutta, Koekkoek vs Boggosian. I take any of those guys 1st, heck maybe even Chara if he ends up leaving Boston.

The Holl deal may end up looking bad if they pay him 2m instead of a Rutta/Hamonic a million +-.

------
All this is to say, some team with cap space can get a ton of valuable pieces for cheap. Easily flip them at the TDL with retention for a good reward. Detroit could be a good candidate.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
There is another thread already with this exact same topic.

There should be some urgency to get these UFAs signed, but that hasn't materialized yet.

I suspect there will be some last minute, low $, bargain signings. NHL Owners know they will lose money this year, and will try minimize their losses. They probably aren't thrilled about the prospects of being repaid by the players over the next 2 or 3 years because of the HRR shortfalls.
2 or 3 years? Elliotte Friedman said that the bill won't be fully paid at the time of the next CBA negotiations. He said the owners will eventually get repaid. That's worse of a deal for the young players than it is for the soon to retire NHL veteran.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Where is the urgency?! Where are our signings?!? We the fans need something to do and talk about in these trying times! Bring on the bargain deals!

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
2 or 3 years? Elliotte Friedman said that the bill won't be fully paid at the time of the next CBA negotiations. He said the owners will eventually get repaid. That's worse of a deal for the young players than it is for the soon to retire NHL veteran.
OK. It was just an estimate. Edit that to "They probably aren't thrilled about the prospects of being repaid by the players over the next 4 years because of the HRR shortfalls."

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Have any teams shows interest in Athanasiou so far? If so, which teams?

I know he wasn’t good last season but I’m still surprised no one has offered him a cheap 1 year deal...

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Man, seeing some of the guys remaining im kicking myself as a Leafs fan. Maybe we signed a few too many guys a bit too early.
No offence to Simmonds, but im not confident he can still be the player he once was.
Boyd is at 700k, but he may end up only being a few 100k cheaper than a Perry.

I think im going to really prefer the Perry contract once he chooses a spot. Similar style grinder and pest, but who had a heck of a playoff run.

Duclair vs Simmonds. I take Duclair any day of the week.

Hamonic, Rutta, Koekkoek vs Boggosian. I take any of those guys 1st, heck maybe even Chara if he ends up leaving Boston.

The Holl deal may end up looking bad if they pay him 2m instead of a Rutta/Hamonic a million +-.

------
All this is to say, some team with cap space can get a ton of valuable pieces for cheap. Easily flip them at the TDL with retention for a good reward. Detroit could be a good candidate.

Perry had a really poor regular season, plus a guy like Boyd you can just waive or sit while Perry I'm not so sure he'd be ok with that. Plus, with Simmonds the hope is the extended time off could help him bounce back.

I think I'd rather have Koekoek or Rutta than Bogo but bogo is less expensive than Rutta and RHD while Koekoek is LHD so I get it.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Have any teams shows interest in Athanasiou so far? If so, which teams?

I know he wasn’t good last season but I’m still surprised no one has offered him a cheap 1 year deal...
I'm sure he's been offered some cheap 1 year deals already but he's holding out for more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad