Sportsnet: “Increased urgency” to sign NHL’s remaining free agents

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
feel like Chicago could sign a cheap vet option to let some of the kids stay down in rockford. don't need to rush guys like hagel, kurashev, beaudin etc up to the show to sit in 13th forward or 7th dmen spots

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Torn cuz Haula or Granlund would be a nice add for the Sens but it would take away another roster spot.

-Sign Haula and Granlund

-Run Haula, Granlund, Dadonov, White, Anisimov, C. Brown, Tierney, Watson, Paul, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk and whoever two/three impress most out of L. Brown, Norris, Batherson, Chlapik, Davidsson, Formenton, Beaudin and Balcers

-Trade some of Granlund, Haula (if they are signed to one year deals), Galchenyuk and Anisimov towards deadline and promote whoever is still down to fill in.

-Profit

Reactions: mfilipo3 and Taluss

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
feel like Chicago could sign a cheap vet option to let some of the kids stay down in rockford. don't need to rush guys like hagel, kurashev, beaudin etc up to the show to sit in 13th forward or 7th dmen spots

No doubt they could. But I don’t see kurashev or Beaudin on the roster to start anyway. Hagel has a shot depending on the health of Shaw and what they do with smith. Hopefully he gets waived at least.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
I was really disappointed with Smith last year on the hawks. He was supposed to have snarl and toughness and he 29 pim and one fight. Didn't hit much either he was a plus player but a lot of times going through the motions to collect a paycheck. Maybe it was his injury hopefully he finds his edge because the hawks have nobody now with caggiula gone and shaw weighing 175 with concussion problems. If someone runs Kane will have to send Brookbank out from behind the bench.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
No doubt they could. But I don’t see kurashev or Beaudin on the roster to start anyway. Hagel has a shot depending on the health of Shaw and what they do with smith. Hopefully he gets waived at least.
well you kind of echoed my thought. if both smith and shaw start out the season on IR, that's two guys they have to now call up in their place at forward. I agree beaudin likely is a long shot to make the NHL roster right now especially with an older guy closer to nhl ready like kalynuk easier to use as NHL depth.

but if smith and shaw are out I think unfortunately one of hagel, kurashev, or someone else will need to be called up to sit in a press box or get in once every 3-4 games

the top six is absolutely gridlocked between some combination of toews, kane, dach, debrincat, strome, Kubalik, nylander, suter

bottom six centers will likely be two of janmark, wallmark, Kampf, carpenter

so that basically leaves one 13th forward roster spot open assuming two of the bottom six names play on the wing (between all the names listed above that's 12 forwards)

so your choice is likely having a 12th forward roster spot up for grabs among carpenter, highmore, pirri, hagel, kurashev

if that's the case don't waste the youth and keep them full time in rockford, we don't need hagel or kurashev playing fourth line wing for 9 minutes every third game. sign a vet cheap that can slide up and down the lineup and worry about choosing between scratching guys like highmore and carpenter instead of someone you hope continues to develop

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Urgency likely more on the players part than team needs. There are still teams with CAP concerns (internal or league) and those will need addressed so there is a lot likely to come to a head in the very near future.

Reactions: Ciao and Morrison

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
The music has stopped and there are not enough chairs. A lot of these players will be on the outside looking in. The AHL and a lot of the lower leagues are not playing at the moment...... current teams have a lot of players under contract with no place to place them. SOME RFAS will be signed as usual when training camps start.

Tampa should have taken one of the bad deals on the table to clear Cap space. AS I expect it will only get more expensive from here.

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
I think Hoffman ends up with the Blues using the Steen LTIR money.

I think Granlund ends up with Columbus.

I think the Blues end up with either of the above players. I'm torn because Hoffman is more what they "need" with Tarasenko out for most, if not all of the coming season but Granlund is definitely more the Blues' type player. We shall see.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I am happy with Tierney's contract but if the Sens were going to move him, I really wanted Soderberg as his replacement. Very different players but they can fill a similar role. I'd certainly rather him over Galchenyuk!

He seems to me like someone who is particular about where he plays, though. Not sure if Ottawa would be his place, and Dorion has said he doesn't foresee adding any NHL bodies at this point.

He can play just about anywhere. Big, smart, physical, and can feature on special teams.

I'd rather the young mystery box of Galchenyuk, knowing he could easily go to zero, over the guarantee of what Soderberg is at 35. Especially since the flexibility of being able to bench or waive Gal (if a rookie breaks out) suits the crapshoot that Ottawa's roster will be this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->