Post-Game Talk: “I think I know a little bit about winning.” - Coffey, but unironically

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The last 2 periods might have been the easiest of Skinner's career, he could have made a sandwich or ten back there. The Oilers have made a habit of making life easy on their goalies lately. The Knob flavored Coffey effect.

And the Flames just lost. That's always fun.
Wait till the goaltending makes it easy for the Oilers.

....... 🦗

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not really.

And he was good before these last 10 games too. People get so obsessed with the odd brain fart. He’s played like a #1 dman since Klefa went down.

He just is. It’s funny how every coach uses Nurse above Ekholm yet the fans think they know better. Ekholm is an elite #2, and Nurse is a low end #1.
He wasnt good and it was for an extended period of time.
Even back in the playoffs (and during the 2023/23 season) he was making very poor decisions.
I wont get into it here but I detailed some of the inexplicable mistakes Nurse was making in another thread.
Nurse is not a #1...never has been. He is overpaid by $2-3M.
Ekholm is a better defender and delivers much better value...full stop.

I do however hope that Nurse continues with his good play. The team needed him to be better and hopefully he can sustain that.

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
How have things been in The Boom Boom Room? Not hearing much. U might hear a bang outta Ottawa soon enough. That fella i mentioned to ya has a few teams calling him
Only boom boom room I know well is my single bathroom in my house. Was in there for 40 mins today! That A and W makes quick exists loo

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Brown has one career playoff goal. One. Not many assists either. Pts production of .250ppg in playoffs. Worse because its all EC playoffs.
Im just hoping for some positive narrative at this point. Grasping at straws really …

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He wasnt good and it was for an extended period of time.
Even back in the playoffs (and during the 2023/23 season) he was making very poor decisions.
I wont get into it here but I detailed some of the inexplicable mistakes Nurse was making in another thread.
Nurse is not a #1...never has been. He is overpaid by $2-3M.
Ekholm is a better defender and delivers much better value...full stop.

I do however hope that Nurse continues with his good play. The team needed him to be better and hopefully he can sustain that.
Wrong.

If you took Nurse off this team and had Ekholm take the nurse role of the last 5 years.

Ekholm would have drowned.

Reactions: joestevens29

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Based on the fact that Nurse is the better player.

Theres a reason both coaches in Edmonton have still used Nurse in the number 1 role.
So your contention is that if the team put Ekholm with Ceci and Nurse with Bouchard the Ekholm/Ceci pariing would get caved and the Nurse/Bouchard pairing would excel?

Thats a fantasy.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So your contention is that if the team put Ekholm with Ceci and Nurse with Bouchard the Ekholm/Ceci pariing would get caved and the Nurse/Bouchard pairing would excel?

Thats a fantasy.
Why would they have to swap partners?

And they would both likely suck.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Why would they have to swap partners?

And they would both likely suck.
Ekholm was the primary reason why Bouchard turned his game around. Ekholm provided Bouchard with a rock solid D partner. A predictable D partner that made the right defensive read and the right play the vast majority of the time. That gave Bouchard some room to grow into becoming a better Dman.

Just think back to when Nurse and Bouchard were paired together. It was a disaster.

Why do you think that was? Nurse is a stallion...playing a simple game is not natural to him.
He is prone to going off on his own. That means stepping out of structure...puck watching...making poor reads and poor decisions. Being too single minded about how to approach playing in the D zone.
The exact type of D partner that causes a young D man like Bouchard to drown.
Exactly the wrong type of partner. This is why there were so many calls on here to get Nurse a stable D partner...regardless of whether he was with Ceci or Bouchard.
Its because Nurse didnt bring that element to the table so he needed a D partner to provide that.

Right now the coaching staff has managed to influence Nurse enough for him to play a more simple game. To have him resist the need to roam. To play a calmer game...more like Ekholm.
So far its working.
Will it have longevity?
We shall see because this type of game is not how Nurse is naturally wired.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Yeah idk, McDavid in his rookie season made the game about him every time he touched the ice. You either kept him down or he beat you. Period.

Bedard is good, but it's more that he finds a goal out of nowhere sometimes, but is generally just there.

He's clearly a special player, but I don't see him on that McDavid level. He's more like Stamkos if he was more GenZ than McDavid, imo.
What we saw against EDM where he scored and then was, I won't say invisible but was a non threat, has happened most games this year. He goes long stretches in games doing absolutely nothing. But he's small, still has kid strength and doesn't have McDavid's speed so everyone else is able to keep up with him and neutralize him pretty easily. Fact is he clearly can't take over a game like McDavid and Crosby could early on in their careers and will need a lot more help moving forward. But when he gets it he will be at or near the top of the league in scoring I imagine down the road. For now though he has a lot of work to do.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As far as Bedard goes and comparing him to McDavid, McDavid was just over a point a game with this roster. (or some combination, I didn't look to see who was around when)

Hall Draisaitl Eberle
Pouliot RNH McDavid
Letestu Purcell Maroon
Korpikoski Hendricks Yakupov

Sekera Schultz
Nurse Klefbom
Fayne Gryba

Talbot
Nilsson

Bedard is just under a point a game with this roster...

Foligno Donato Bedard
Guy - Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy - Guy

Jones - Guy
Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy

Mrazek
Guy

What he is doing is pretty special for a rookie. (24 pts in 28 games) Even Fantilli has Jenner, Gaudreau, Provorov, Laine, Werenski and is only .5 ppg.
If you can list our bums like Korpikoski, Fayne, Gryba and so forth, you can list theirs too. Listing them all as "guy" makes them seem even worse than they actually are.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
If you can list our bums like Korpikoski, Fayne, Gryba and so forth, you can list theirs too. Listing them all as "guy" makes them seem even worse than they actually are.

A lot of them aren't even really bums. Every have I've seen of the hawks their fourth line was their best line.

Even some of the unlisted bums... Like a guy like Kurashev is the one stirring the drink on Bedards line most of the time I find. He's the guy that gets the puck back and gives it to Bedard, otherwise the line kind of just gets nothing done.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I didn't want to take the time. If people don't want to see the difference in quality between the two teams they are just putting their head in the sand. There are 4 or 5 players on the Oilers that season that are better than anyone on the Hawks.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It’s funny because for years in Edmonton he was called too small and soft. I remember one off season he put on 15 lbs to try and shut people up. However the added weight just slowed him down more and it took months for him to recover. Now he’s rather slow but he will do anything that he asked to. Class act and stupendous team mate through and through.
He's very good as a 4th liner on a team where he's not expected to produce offensively and where his lack of size and speed can be compensated. Gagner's problem in his younger years was that he was a high pick and people expected too much of him.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Kinda BS that Knob gets the glory here. He even admitted that he didn't change a whole lot

The resurgence of this team lies with Coffey and the players finally waking up

I like K2 alot, but this new defence structure/play is the reason we are on a tear. Can't even think of the last goal scored against that the dmen screened on
I will say that unlike his predecessor, Knob keeps the lines together more often than not, especially when he sees some chemistry and success. Whereas Woodcroft would bust them up as soon as the team was down a goal or more. Knob also changed up the PK, having 3 consistent forward parings doing most of the heavy lifting, and saving McDavid and Drai for the heavy 5 on 5 and PP work. More players seem to be much more involved under Knob.

And yes, agreed, the defence is night and day now under Coff.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad