Post-Game Talk: “I think I know a little bit about winning.” - Coffey, but unironically

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
1702498154527.png

this is very apparent, and along with the greatly improved breakout I think the largest reason for our resurgence

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
How good is the 4th line? Had you told me 5 weeks ago that we were rolling out a 4th of Gagner - Hamblin - Ryan I would have cringed and told you that I hope they don't see any more than about 4 mins of ice.

I still am not completely sure how this combination is so effective, but they just are. Hamblin and Ryan are both effective forecheckers despite their size and Gagner still has the touch to make efficient smart plays with the puck. I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off these guys, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Also Desharnais is playing very, very good hockey. A lot of the question mark depth have stepped up in a big way over the past few weeks.
Both Gagner and Ryan are very smart hockey players, something that is very understated about them. This is holding them in good stead as they age and their physical skills decline. Both of them have never been incredible skaters, so not a big dip there! Hamblin is also a smart player, and it's perfect having him in with two similar players, who realize smarts and hard work are the way to contribute and provide success.

And yes, Desharnais is playing the best hockey since he's been here. Have to say Coffey is having an effect on all of the dmen, as they all seem to have stepped up their game, many of them to new heights never before seen. Much more involved in the play at both ends of the ice. That HAS to be the Coffey effect.

McLeod at least has the excuse of being young and that there might be upside. just saying
Oh yah, I can agree with that. He still needs to get his head in the game sometimes. Reminds me of Bouch when he has his "sleepy games."

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
View attachment 782824

this is very apparent, and along with the greatly improved breakout I think the largest reason for our resurgence
Kinda BS that Knob gets the glory here. He even admitted that he didn't change a whole lot

The resurgence of this team lies with Coffey and the players finally waking up

I like K2 alot, but this new defence structure/play is the reason we are on a tear. Can't even think of the last goal scored against that the dmen screened on

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So a day later and this was pretty much the perfect little debut of a young star player here playing against McD. League got what it wanted, fans got what it wanted.

Bedard got the token goal so hype can continue, Oilers bagged the easy win without extending too much effort and spent the rest of the game clubbing the Hawks like seals.

Could tell several Oilers, and even on down the lineup wanted to redress the fascination on Bedard. Nuge scored a beauty finish at full speed. remarkable goal and perfectly place. Gagner bagged another nice close in finish.

A reminder that at this level of play all kinds of stars exist on ice and every one of these players would be the best player in any lesser rung of the game.

I'll say it again. Bouchard was better than Bedard and not even close. you won't find an NHL story anywhere on what Booch is putting down. Booch in this game was like the big brother stuffing the little bro in a garbage can. A couple of those moments so clear it got a salute from the Rogers Place faithful.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I love how the all things Oiler bashing mega thread on the main boards with thousands of posts got locked as soon as we turned things around.

I guess you are only allowed to talk about this team when we suck :help:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It is something to see Ryan keep the puck from like 3 guys and Gagner knock guys down. No more Sammy snowpants. Finally grew into their man muscles.
Always playing hard no let up.
I do think hes getting overshadowed a bit ny Hughes and Makar who are both having great seasons. But no one talks about him. And when they do, it’s always with “yeah, but”. And I get it because he has his lapses. But most offensive dman do.

Yeah. And look how many goals are from infront of the net. Not bad for a bunch of little guys. I actually think I heard a stat from last year, where Ryan had one of the largest contributions to goals infront of the net. (Think 5 on 5 play).

I think some are so used to Gagner being light in his early years that it’s easy to ignore that he’s actually quite built now, 200 lbs at his height is pretty sturdy. The trade off in speed isn’t ideal at times but his high hockey IQ more than makes up for it still. Solid pro and great attitude as well makes him a perfect 4th liner in his twilight.

Reactions: guymez

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So a day later and this was pretty much the perfect little debut of a young star player here playing against McD. League got what it wanted, fans got what it wanted.

Bedard got the token goal so hype can continue, Oilers bagged the easy win without extending too much effort and spent the rest of the game clubbing the Hawks like seals.

Could tell several Oilers, and even on down the lineup wanted to redress the fascination on Bedard. Nuge scored a beauty finish at full speed. remarkable goal and perfectly place. Gagner bagged another nice close in finish.

A reminder that at this level of play all kinds of stars exist on ice and every one of these players would be the best player in any lesser rung of the game.

I'll say it again. Bouchard was better than Bedard and not even close. you won't find an NHL story anywhere on what Booch is putting down. Booch in this game was like the big brother stuffing the little bro in a garbage can. A couple of those moments so clear it got a salute from the Rogers Place faithful.

I wonder how many points Bouchard will need to score before TSN/Sportsnet/NHL acknowledges his existence.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
7 points in 14 games on his salary feels pretty A+ to me! And clearly not just a passenger too.

Was always a fan and I always get warm fuzzies when he returns to the Oilers hahaha
Its interesting how good a player can continue to be when they train like a beast. Sam Gagner is one of the hardest off ice workers there are. he works out tons and its kept him in good playing shape even at age 34. For a bit player on 4th line mostly this is a pretty valuable contribution. Gagner brings the skill play to the bottomsix. its a nice addition to have.

I've always felt Gagner is a special Oiler and hope he gets to retire here. Nice that he probably will notch 200 goals. Not sure that was going to happen for him but looks like it now.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
As far as Bedard goes and comparing him to McDavid, McDavid was just over a point a game with this roster. (or some combination, I didn't look to see who was around when)

Hall Draisaitl Eberle
Pouliot RNH McDavid
Letestu Purcell Maroon
Korpikoski Hendricks Yakupov

Sekera Schultz
Nurse Klefbom
Fayne Gryba

Talbot
Nilsson

Bedard is just under a point a game with this roster...

Foligno Donato Bedard
Guy - Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy - Guy

Jones - Guy
Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy

Mrazek
Guy

What he is doing is pretty special for a rookie. (24 pts in 28 games) Even Fantilli has Jenner, Gaudreau, Provorov, Laine, Werenski and is only .5 ppg.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
As far as Bedard goes and comparing him to McDavid, McDavid was just over a point a game with this roster. (or some combination, I didn't look to see who was around when)

Hall Draisaitl Eberle
Pouliot RNH McDavid
Letestu Purcell Maroon

Sekera Schultz
Nurse Klefbom
Fayne Gryba

Talbot
Nilsson

Foligno Donato Bedard
Guy - Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy - Guy

Jones - Guy
Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy

Mrazek
Guy

What he is doing is pretty special for a rookie. (24 pts in 28 games) Even Fantilli has Jenner, Gaudreau, Provorov, Laine, Werenski and is only .5 ppg.
You're forgetting McDavid looked visibly dangerous almost every game since he came into the league. Bedard is more like a sniper where you don't really notice him until he scores.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Hall Draisaitl Eberle
Pouliot RNH McDavid
Letestu Purcell Maroon

Sekera Schultz
Nurse Klefbom
Fayne Gryba

Talbot
Nilsson

Foligno Donato Bedard
Guy - Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy - Guy

Jones - Guy
Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy

Mrazek
Guy

Theres alot of Guy players on that Oilers roster too.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Hall Draisaitl Eberle
Pouliot RNH McDavid
Letestu Purcell Maroon

Sekera Schultz
Nurse Klefbom
Fayne Gryba

Talbot
Nilsson

Foligno Donato Bedard
Guy - Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy - Guy

Jones - Guy
Guy - Guy
Guy - Guy

Mrazek
Guy

McDavid was 3rd in the league that season in points per game. Bedard isn’t even in the top 50.

And that Oilers team was 2nd or 3rd worst in the team. It was no better than this Chicago team.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think he needs to fill in a bit before he really starts dominating. He’s tiny.

I don’t really see him putting on weight changing much. It’s not like he was getting constantly out muscled. He was just flat out shut down aside from the one insane shot.

I've watched a few Chicago games and you normally don't notice Bedard except for couple times he gets a nice scoring chance per game. The team around him is absolute garbage right now and he needs his Marner/Draisaitl?Backstrom on the team as well as better players before he starts standing out more.

He kind of reminds me of a young Matthews in that regard, where he also didn’t look dangerous 98% of the game but still somehow pots one.

I don't really expect much more to be honest. Not until he gets stronger or faster.

Maybe faster, but I don’t know. His inability to generate offense last night didn’t really seem to have anything to do with size or speed

I know its really early... but Chicago needs to find Bedard his Draisaitl, his Malkin, his Jagr, his Forsberg, his Kurri... you know what I'm saying.

Considering they’re sitting dead last, there’s a pretty good chance they draft that piece this summer

I think there may be some real validity to Manson having a difficult time with the role after the passing of his wife (which is fair).

The D and PK has improved to such a level it's almost unrecognizable. The breakout is so much better it makes my head spin. Coffey and Stuart have made some excellent changes.

We also can't understate the importance of that ricochet puck off Darnell's forehead seemingly turning his brain back on.

I didn’t hear about that. Considering how much we saw Larsson decline after losing his dad, there’s definitely reason to believe Manson would have a harder than usual time

Bedard is awesome. Love him....but he's not Crosby or McDavid level.

A combination of being on Chi and US media trying to make him bigger than he is.

We worry about losing McD but this Beatlemania going on wiith Bedard hopefully opens McDavids eyes as how bad it could be for him. McD is definitely the type that shys away from the hype

He definitely seems more like a Matthews/MacKinnon type 1st overall. An elite talent but also not someone in discussion for being a top 5 player of all time

I’ve said it since 2020. Nurse is a #1 dman. Not a Norris contender but still a #1

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’ve said it since 2020. Nurse is a #1 dman. Not a Norris contender but still a #1
There is a much much bigger sample size suggesting that Nurse isnt a #1.

He has been good for 10 games...thats excellent...but it isnt enough to start anointing him #1 status.

I have stated this many times on here...#1 dmen make their partner better. Nurse has never done that.
Nurse isnt even the best dman on this team.
Ekholm is a better dman than Nurse and he isnt a #1.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
McDavid was 3rd in the league that season in points per game. Bedard isn’t even in the top 50.

And that Oilers team was 2nd or 3rd worst in the team. It was no better than this Chicago team.
That last statement is nuts. The talent delta between the two is significant. Name two guys on the Hawks that would be anywhere near Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Drai. The Oilers lost over 30 games by 2 goals or less, 24 by one goal or OT/SOL. Chicago is on pace to lose 21 games by 3 or more.
Theres of Guy players on that Oilers roster too.
I know, but I at least know who they are. Letestu was a pretty good "guy". :D The D was quite suspect, but what surrounded McDavid was far superior to the bucket of anchors Bedard is carrying around. (Like 4 guys on D with a combined 100 NHL games.)

Reactions: Slugman

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
That last statement is nuts. The talent delta between the two is significant. Name two guys on the Hawks that would be anywhere near Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Drai. The Oilers lost over 30 games by 2 goals or less, 24 by one goal or OT/SOL. Chicago is on pace to lose 21 games by 3 or more.
Well they do have him :sarcasm:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I know, but I at least know who they are. Letestu was a pretty good "guy". :D The D was quite suspect, but what surrounded McDavid was far superior to the bucket of anchors Bedard is carrying around. (Like 4 guys on D with a combined 100 NHL games.)
To be fair though that was a rookie Drai and a Nuge that was closer to being a 50 point guy than what he is today.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Yeah idk, McDavid in his rookie season made the game about him every time he touched the ice. You either kept him down or he beat you. Period.

Bedard is good, but it's more that he finds a goal out of nowhere sometimes, but is generally just there.

He's clearly a special player, but I don't see him on that McDavid level. He's more like Stamkos if he was more GenZ than McDavid, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad