Post-Game Talk: “I think I know a little bit about winning.” - Coffey, but unironically

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
So seeing as I have struggle to be able to watch Oiler games even this year, I obviously haven’t seen any Chicago games… am I the only one who was kind of disappointed with Bedard last night? That release on his goal was absolutely insane, but that might have been the only noticeable play he made all night. For all the hype, I was expecting to see him making some plays through the neutral zone, cycling the puck, etc. But he was outclassed by Foligno, Dickinson, Entwistle, etc. who aren’t exactly superstars
I've watched a few Chicago games and you normally don't notice Bedard except for couple times he gets a nice scoring chance per game. The team around him is absolute garbage right now and he needs his Marner/Draisaitl?Backstrom on the team as well as better players before he starts standing out more.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So seeing as I have struggle to be able to watch Oiler games even this year, I obviously haven’t seen any Chicago games… am I the only one who was kind of disappointed with Bedard last night? That release on his goal was absolutely insane, but that might have been the only noticeable play he made all night. For all the hype, I was expecting to see him making some plays through the neutral zone, cycling the puck, etc. But he was outclassed by Foligno, Dickinson, Entwistle, etc. who aren’t exactly superstars
I don't really expect much more to be honest. Not until he gets stronger or faster.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Yes it is. For some reason I still Remeber listening to Rod calling it on the radio lol.

Those were the days. Not man games on TV like now. I used to get so pumped up to listen to games on the radio.
Rod was born for hockey announcing! A televised game usually involved muting the tv announcers and blasting out Rod.
He never left any fans feeling as if they’d received less than 150% every game. Playoffs Rod was one of a kind!
Great hockey / Oilers memories there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Michkov IMO is the better player. He looked like he was on another level when I saw the 2 played. To be fair that was like 2 years+ ago
Risk was just too much for some clubs, although he would've fit perfectly in line with SJ timeline.

Montreal and Arizona might be kicking themselves too down the road, as I don't really know that their d-men they picked are going to be making impacts at the NHL level before Michkov. Who could very well be one of the most polished rookies we've seen in the NHL the day he steps on the ice for the Flyers.

Reactions: Canovin

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I almost feel bad for this guy…almost…

His money should make him feel just fine

I think he cares a lot but does nothing out there. My only hope there is some weird story here where if we make the playoffs he is a hero of some sort. Like somehow becomes a Pisani
Brown has one career playoff goal. One. Not many assists either. Pts production of .250ppg in playoffs. Worse because its all EC playoffs.

Reactions: Ibanez

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Yup. Which is another dagger against Woodcroft.
I think there may be some real validity to Manson having a difficult time with the role after the passing of his wife (which is fair).

The D and PK has improved to such a level it's almost unrecognizable. The breakout is so much better it makes my head spin. Coffey and Stuart have made some excellent changes.

We also can't understate the importance of that ricochet puck off Darnell's forehead seemingly turning his brain back on.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
There’s a 95% chance I’m completely making shit up, but why do I get the feeling the Oilers once beat Tampa to win their 9th in a row? I want to say overtime?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know its really early... but Chicago needs to find Bedard his Draisaitl, his Malkin, his Jagr, his Forsberg, his Kurri... you know what I'm saying.
Probably have a good chance at getting someone decent this year in the draft to go with a pile of recent 1st/2nds.

Just going to take time. Either that or they spend some money in the off-season on some sort of vet to help bridge the gap. Or I guess break the bank on Nylander/Reinhart

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
There’s a 95% chance I’m completely making shit up, but why do I get the feeling the Oilers once beat Tampa to win their 9th in a row? I want to say overtime?

So I looked it up. They beat Tampa 5-4 in overtime (Brewer from Grier and Niinimaa) on March 13, 2001, to win their 9th in a row. They lost the next two in overtime. It was quite a streak.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Bedard had that quick shot, but he sucked

I am shocked people tried to compare him to McDavid. He will never have the speed McDavid has and he is smaller. He is going to be great though
Bedard is only 18, so lots of time to get stronger, faster, etc. But your point about the speed is well taken. When McDavid came into the league, from the very first game, his speed and stickhandling stood out above all else and over everyone else. Not to diss Bedard at this very young point in his career, but I think those qualities will only be reserved for McJesus. I think Bedard will have a career similar to that of Patrick Kane (stole that from someone on last nights telecast), which is very, very good.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Bedard is only 18, so lots of time to get stronger, faster, etc. But your point about the speed is well taken. When McDavid came into the league, from the very first game, his speed and stickhandling stood out above all else and over everyone else. Not to diss Bedard at this very young point in his career, but I think those qualities will only be reserved for McJesus. I think Bedard will have a career similar to that of Patrick Kane (stole that from someone on last nights telecast), which is very, very good.
Mcdavid is just on another level. He was on pace for 87 points in his rookie year if he didn't get injured which would have put him 3rd in league scoring, 2 points behind Benn and 19 behind Kane.
We all know that his scoring increases in the second half of the season so he probably would have been close to Kane if he played all 82 games.

Bedard will finish nowhere near the top of the league in scoring as a rookie but will probably be around top 10 in goals. He's currently 57th in league scoring but will probably finish around 40th when the season is over.

Reactions: frag2

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not their best game on this win streak for sure.
Sloppy first period but they came around a little in the 2nd and 3rd.

Drai started slow (like the team) and then was super motivated for that last 2 periods. good to see...especially his back pressure.
I know all the 'cool' kids are enjoying bashing Brown these days but man is he ever snake bit.
Really good game on the PK though and he is generating chances. I am fine being one of the few posters on here that actually wants to see him succeed.. :nod:

Can't for a second understand the need for some to focus on the one negative among all other things as we are playing the best overall hockey in at least 5 years, maybe ever since McDavid has been here.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Plus Brown is 30 in a few weeks. its not like he's figuring out the NHl, its not like he's getting better. He's abysmal, and at an age where production and performance often gets worse.

At 10 games some people here (a very few) were saying "its coming, he's getting better" . The rest of the board just wanted him punted and to never see him again.
We're 1/3 into the season now and the same Brown defenders saying the same thing. Theres no statutes of limits its Connor Brown= Its coming. Like rain in a desert..
I find this is the problem with the board. People want players punted or fired into the sun loooooong before guys get a chance to play out a season.

The discussion around Brown being a waste or not really comes down to how it all looks at the end of the year, or at least much closer to it, imo.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I got this feeling Brown will be very handy for us come playoff time, and he's still trying to get himself back into scoring order. Obviously took him a long time to do it, but then again, he didn't play at all last season.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
No idea how a kid his size rips the puck so hard.

Seeing Matthews I get it, he’s 6’3 and just leans into his shot, but Bedard looks like he’s 5’9? Maybe a generous 5’10?
Hes got insane forearms for his age and size

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
How good is the 4th line? Had you told me 5 weeks ago that we were rolling out a 4th of Gagner - Hamblin - Ryan I would have cringed and told you that I hope they don't see any more than about 4 mins of ice.

I still am not completely sure how this combination is so effective, but they just are. Hamblin and Ryan are both effective forecheckers despite their size and Gagner still has the touch to make efficient smart plays with the puck. I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off these guys, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

Also Desharnais is playing very, very good hockey. A lot of the question mark depth have stepped up in a big way over the past few weeks.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I do think that Brown will turn his game around, but even then I'm not sure he's a top 6 guy.
I think he’s been playing well too. On the penalty kill he has a fantastic stick. Just almost feels like the chemistry is off on his line. Unlucky to not score last night again. At some point though there should be production

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad