Friedman: “Eriksson and Vancouver both want to figure out a trade.”

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Be on the lookout for anything happening with Lucic and Eriksson after July 17 in a weeks time.

It was reported that his Bonus was due on July 1st, but was later confirmed that it was payable on July 17th.

So 5 days away, then this rumor will pick up pace.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
It's not going to be for Lucic, despite many hopeful non-Canuck fans wishes. We are already two players over the roster limit. Maybe something like Eriksson @ 50% retained +2nd for Ottawa's 4th or thereabouts.

#Loutica

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Does Bobby Ryan's weird NMC/NTC clause make Ottawa forced to protect him in the expansion draft?

Bobby Ryan's salary is upwards sloping by year
Loui Eriksson's salary is downwards sloping by year

If Ottawa retains 3M on Bobby Ryan, then take Loui Eriksson's contract, they only have to pay 8m, 7m, 6m instead of 7.5m, 7.5m, 7.5m , which saves them $1.5m in salary. They have plenty of cap space.

The Canucks get Ryan at $3m discount, which brings his cap down to $4.25m, so the Canucks save $1.75m in cap space.

Idk I think it's worth a shot. Both players could also have one of those random veteran post-trade swan song seasons next year.

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
If Ottawa retains 3M on Bobby Ryan, then take Loui Eriksson's contract, they only have to pay 8m, 7m, 6m instead of 7.5m, 7.5m, 7.5m, which saves them $1.5m in salary. They have plenty of cap space.

The Canucks get Ryan at 3m discount, which brings his cap down to $4.25m, so the Canucks save $1.75m in cap space.

Idk I think it's worth a shot. Both players could also have one of those random veteran post-trade swan song seasons next year.

Something like Beagle + Eriksson + 4th for Ryan at full cost + a contract that can be buried makes more sense.

Beagle: 5.6M over 3 seasons
Eriksson: 9M over 3 seasons
Total: 14.6M over 3 seasons to Ottawa

Ryan: 20.5M over 3 seasons to Vancouver
Other contract: 800k-1.1M to Vancouver

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
After July 15th, Louie is paid his bonus. His actually salary is only 9M over the course of the next 3 years, which might be enticing for cap floor teams, aka Melnyk
Especially if the cap goes up next year os will the floor so it would be a good long term play for Ottawa.

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
Does Bobby Ryan's weird NMC/NTC clause make Ottawa forced to protect him in the expansion draft?

Bobby Ryan's salary is upwards sloping by year
Loui Eriksson's salary is downwards sloping by year

If Ottawa retains 3M on Bobby Ryan, then take Loui Eriksson's contract, they only have to pay 8m, 7m, 6m instead of 7.5m, 7.5m, 7.5m , which saves them $1.5m in salary. They have plenty of cap space.

The Canucks get Ryan at $3m discount, which brings his cap down to $4.25m, so the Canucks save $1.75m in cap space.

(Edited for clarity)

That makes a lot of sense. The savings aren't massive, but it's a good plan. Just need to convince Loui and Bobby.

Ementy

May 11, 2010
Let's hope you're right.
I do not. I would prefer Lucic who actually contributes in other ways when not putting up offense. hands down every day of the week. Its not like we have forwards to protect in expansion anyone, oilers are literally one of the few teams not phased by his NMC. Were good. no need to downgrade and pay to free up a expansion slot we do not need.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Oiler fans need to dash their dreams on a Lucic trade, especially one to Vancouver. Vancouver needs to move out salary, not bring on more because they still need to sign Boeser. That wishful thinking trade has long since sailed. And with the acquisition of Ferlund, they really don't need TheBoat.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Vancouver just got a bruiser who can protect the young forwards in Ferland.

Ferland's new deal pays him less money than Lucic is currently owed on his current deal
$14 mill vs $16 mill for Lucic.

Reactions: Boeser Fan

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
May seem crazy, but I could see the Leafs being in on one of these albatross's if they are "injured" and bury them on the LTIR. Marleau still wanted to play I guess.

Or maybe that is monitored by the league a little more than I would like to think. Horton was 100% broken body so no doubts there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad