TV: ‘Justified’ writers, FX teaming up for Elmore Leonard adaption City Primevil

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

Really looking forward to this. Great news that this will stream on Hulu/Star the day after airing on FX.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Only started watching Justified about a month ago when I realized it was on Prime Video. Three seasons down and I like it so far so this could be interesting.

Reactions: Jovavic

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Huge Justified fan I can't wait for this. I hope there's some kind of Boyd Crowder cameo, maybe a phone call or something.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I really liked Justified except for the last season. I thought it was forced and lazy to sort of reset Boyds character to the state of the pilot episode after so much had happened in the meantime. I really hope that some of the same writers are attached to the new series though. Especially the dialogue in Justified was pretty much unmatched back in the day.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I didn't check again this morning but it seems like this isn't coming to Disney Star in Canada or the UK/Ireland quite yet. It is on the Australia/New Zealand Star service already, probably elsewhere in the world as well.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I didn't check again this morning but it seems like this isn't coming to Disney Star in Canada or the UK/Ireland quite yet. It is on the Australia/New Zealand Star service already, probably elsewhere in the world as well.
I had not heard that which sucks given I am in Canada.

Note also that the actresses that plays Raylan's daughter Willa is Olyphant's real life daughter Vivian.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm just about done with my re-watch of Justified, once I finish I'll jump over to this. Hopefully it's good. I haven't read or watched much of anything about it to avoid any kind of spoilers.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I had not heard that which sucks given I am in Canada.

Note also that the actresses that plays Raylan's daughter Willa is Olyphant's real life daughter Vivian.
Did some digging and it looks like DisneyStar in Canada will get the entire series on August 30. Not thrilled about that but better late than never I suppose

Reactions: beowulf

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I did not like the first episode very much unfortunately. Neither plot nor setting, characters or dialogue seemed even remotely on the level of the main series. Also Raylans daugther has pretty much no reason to be in he story. Her character seems only to exist to jump star the acting career of Olyphants real life daugther. I am hoping the series will get better with coming episodes though.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I did not like the first episode very much unfortunately. Neither plot nor setting, characters or dialogue seemed even remotely on the level of the main series. Also Raylans daugther has pretty much no reason to be in he story. Her character seems only to exist to jump star the acting career of Olyphants real life daugther. I am hoping the series will get better with coming episodes though.

I've only seen the first episode as well and felt that Raylan was on point, as expected, but the rest of the characters were introduced too quickly to really get any chemistry going. There was also an emphasize on "this isn't Kentucky or Miami, this is Detroit!" that I didn't care for too much. It's way more stylized than Justified was but I'll give it a few more episodes before I make a decision about whether to keep watching.

Reactions: Speyer

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I just watched Narcos so the actor that plays Clem was instantly recognizable. If you ever played the Mass Effect series, the judge in the first episode voices Anderson...of course that actor's been in tons of things over the years but that's where I got his voice from.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's of quality and better than most of the dreck on streaming right now, I've only watched Ep 1 so far. The plot didn't particularly grab me but that was pretty typical of the start of a Justified season.

I think the idea of Raylan and his daughter interacting as a backdrop in the season is a good one. At least in the first episode the execution is dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeck. Olyphant's daughter is not ready to hold down a supporting role in a semi prestige drama.

Also the opening scene was stupid. Some clowns try and run Deputy US Marshall Raylan Givens™ off the road, come out armed and ready, and his daughter is in the car and he DOESN'T shoot at least one of them? No way.

I found it decent overall, but if Justified S1 E1 started this way I probably wouldn't have continued.

It's way more stylized than Justified

This was very off putting.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's of quality and better than most of the dreck on streaming right now, I've only watched Ep 1 so far. The plot didn't particularly grab me but that was pretty typical of the start of a Justified season.

I think the idea of Raylan and his daughter interacting as a backdrop in the season is a good one. At least in the first episode the execution is dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeck. Olyphant's daughter is not ready to hold down a supporting role in a semi prestige drama.

Also the opening scene was stupid. Some clowns try and run Deputy US Marshall Raylan Givens™ off the road, come out armed and ready, and his daughter is in the car and he DOESN'T shoot at least one of them? No way.

I found it decent overall, but if Justified S1 E1 started this way I probably wouldn't have continued.

This was very off putting.

Through two episodes this has been a thing I've noticed as well. I'm wondering if there's a reason for it we just don't know about yet.

As for the first episode, I liked the carryover of the ice cream from the original show to this one. Both because Raylan goes to get ice cream randomly a few times in the original and because the last time we see him with Willa is on the playground in Florida where they're both having an ice cream and Willa is imagining a gross flavor for money.

Olyphant's daughter has seemed out of place so far and I'm hoping she gets better. There's something unbelievable about their character's relationship and it needs to be fixed.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So....Raylan
hasn't shot anybody yet...

It's just not great. I don't hate the show as a whole but as a sequel to Justified it's really bad in comparison.

Did we sit through all of the bad Willa stuff for no reason? She's not even on the show anymore and the show is better for it. I don't buy his love interest with the attorney at all. It's a massive conflict of interest, and while we know that hasn't stopped him from making questionable decisions in the past I don't buy that he'd be this nonchalant about it at this point in his career, all while trying to do things by the book. The main antagonist isn't interesting at all. Why is he constantly in his underwear? He's the type of character that should've been around for an episode or two at best but we're stuck with him the whole season. It's still too stylized. I'll finish it up but won't recommend it to anyone at this point.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Watching slowly too busy to watch them fast.

At episode 3, the villains are super boring. I don't even know their names nor care to They are a episode of the week level duo that would have been bumped off in an episode or two in the original show in service of the season's main plot, not the main villains.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I love Justified but based on the posts, sounds like another case of American entertainment now knowing when to let things stay where they are. Olyphant's daughter starring in it was a red flag.

Reactions: Seattle King

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
What made the original series good was the cast of side characters and Raylan's interactions and dialog with them, none of that charm is here

Even some of the side characters I found annoying and useless during the original show I find serve a purpose now

The state of Kentucky was a huge character in the show itself and that’s not a factor in this show eiter

Reactions: Jovavic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad