TV: ‘Justified’ writers, FX teaming up for Elmore Leonard adaption City Primevil

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not that surprising when you think about it. Pretty sure Tarantino is a big fan of Elmore Leonard + he used Justified alumni in his last film. Wouldn't be shocking to know he was a fan of the series.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
From what little I've seen and from what I've heard about Justified, it seemed like just another cookie cutter badass cop type show so I'm really surprised that Taratino would get involved with it. Doesn't seem like his style of filmmaking.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
From what little I've seen and from what I've heard about Justified, it seemed like just another cookie cutter badass cop type show so I'm really surprised that Taratino would get involved with it. Doesn't seem like his style of filmmaking.

It's really more of a character driven show.

Reactions: Kurtz

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Justified's first season was more of your standard police procedural show but season 2 moved away from that, to a point, and the show never looked back.

Reactions: shadow1

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

It has its episodes here and there that feel like that but on the whole, it's much more than that. I have no trouble believing Tarantino would be a fan of the series.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
It had some of the best written dialogue for a TV show. Fans of Tarantino also like his films for similar reasons. Doesn't seem like a bad match to me.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hmm maybe I should give it a chance. How would you guys compare it to shows like The Wire, Sopranos and Deadwood?

Well, the cast is much smaller than the more sweeping ensemble type dramas.

It's more like Ozark IMO.

Some of the overarching antagonists are really well acted.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Hmm maybe I should give it a chance. How would you guys compare it to shows like The Wire, Sopranos and Deadwood?

A tier below, but that's about it. I think it has moments that are just as good as those shows though. For example, Justified's last season/last scene trumps The Wire's. The humor is often just as good too. But it doesn't have the cinematograhy or classic designs of those shows. I just don't think it had that sort of budget nor was the focus placed there. On a technical level, it's a pretty run-of-the-mill show. It's really the acting and writing and general sensibilities that makes the show.

There's an episode where a dumb character thinks he has a couple of hours to raise up cash or die from the loss of a kidney that's funnier than anything I've seen on the classic shows.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'm going to put it on my list of shows to watch. For some reason, I always assumed it was an action driven show based on the previews I saw.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
It had some of the best written dialogue for a TV show. Fans of Tarantino also like his films for similar reasons. Doesn't seem like a bad match to me.
The dialogue is my favourite part of his movies. I didn't realize Justified had excellent dialogue but good to know.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
The dialogue is my favourite part of his movies. I didn't realize Justified had excellent dialogue but good to know.

You mentioned Deawood and The Wire. Deadwood to me is the single best show I have ever watched. The Wire is 2, kind of interchangeable with Breaking Bad on that list.

Anyhow, Justified is probably 5 ish. The show has amazing dialog and is written and acted superbly. Warning though it took 8 epsiodes for them to figure out. They originally were going to kill Walter Goggins character off. He was so good that they decided not to but he had availability issues. So the first half of season 1 is crime caper of the week. Stay with it as Season 2 is on par with some great seasons of any show above it, they figured things out.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
One of my favorites and I always go back to it. Really glad they're making another one.

As others have said, the dialogue is the best part and everyone is perfectly cast. Season one is a little more low budget, but season two picks up. Season 5 (I think, with Rappaport) is probably the weakest and then the final season is very strong, with a great ending.

I've read before that Justified is one of Tarantino's favorite shows so it makes complete sense he'd direct for this. I'll be really excited if he does.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Just reread City Primeval for the first time in 20-25 years and it's funny how much of a test run for Raylan the main character is (hell, his name is even RAYMOND). I'm sure they'll change and expand a lot from the book but every bit of it reads like a classic Justified story.

Reactions: shadow1

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
A tier below, but that's about it. I think it has moments that are just as good as those shows though. For example, Justified's last season/last scene trumps The Wire's. The humor is often just as good too. But it doesn't have the cinematograhy or classic designs of those shows. I just don't think it had that sort of budget nor was the focus placed there. On a technical level, it's a pretty run-of-the-mill show. It's really the acting and writing and general sensibilities that makes the show.

There's an episode where a dumb character thinks he has a couple of hours to raise up cash or die from the loss of a kidney that's funnier than anything I've seen on the classic shows.
"You mean I have 4 kidneys?" - Dewey Crowe

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Trailer is good but is too serious. Hopefully the show isn't and it's just kinda hard to deliver the character humor of Justified in a 2 minute spot.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
In the final season of Justified right now and while it's good, it doesn't place in the same tier of network dramas like The Americans, Mad Men, Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
latest preview is interesting. Guess his daughter has gone off the rails. Hopefully the writing is as good as it was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad