‘Cautiously optimistic’ NHL CBA talks could result in 2021 World Cup

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
STOCKHOLM — Deputy commissioner Bill Daly says he’s “cautiously optimistic” about the direction of collective bargaining talks with the NHL Players’ Association and believes the sides are committed to staging the next World Cup in February 2021 if they can extend or renew the current agreement before it expires.

The league and players have met regularly throughout the summer and are due to sit down together again next week. The discussions are being held with each side facing a decision inside the next month about whether to trigger an early termination to the current CBA.
In addition to the CBA discussions, the NHL and NHLPA would love to establish a long-term calendar for international events. While the issue of Olympic participation still looms as a significant sticking point, the sides would like to replace the 2021 all-star game with an in-season World Cup if they can navigate the next stage of labour talks peacefully.

“It would be kind of a mini tournament about a week in length. Tack on a couple days to the typical all-star break and fit in an international event,” said Daly. “So that’s something I think we have an agreement that if we get past this phase we should work on.”

'Cautiously optimistic' NHL CBA talks could result in 2021 World Cup - Sportsnet.ca

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
As long as they don't have those two cringy teams I wouldn't mind if they had a under 23 Canada and USA teams seperate from each other but when you have teams like Europe and North America it for some reason loses its seriousness and makes it feel gimmicky but I would really prefer if they just added two other countries beside those two heck why not give China the nod it would grow the game

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Just include Slovakia/Switzerland/Whoever else was missing and let them embrace the underdog status.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Hasn't it been already stated that those teams will not attend the next World Cup?

Switzerland is an obvious choice for the next tournament but who should be the last one? Assuming there are 8 teams. Slovakia? Germany?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
How about :

- Team Ontario
- Team Quebec/Atlantic
- Team Western Canada
- Team USA
- Team Russia
- Team Sweden
- Team Finland
- Team Czech Republic/Slovakia

I'd watch this!

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
A 2021 World Cup would put it happening during the same season as the 2022 Winter Olympics. If that is agreed to then I guess we can kiss Olympic participation good bye.

But agreed not gimmick teams. Go with 12 teams, in three groups of 4. Group winners automatically advanced to a double elimination Medal round stage. Second place teams and best 3rd place finisher go to a single elimination playoff for the 4th spot in the medal round.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
A 2021 World Cup would put it happening during the same season as the 2022 Winter Olympics. If that is agreed to then I guess we can kiss Olympic participation good bye.

But agreed not gimmick teams. Go with 12 teams, in three groups of 4. Group winners automatically advanced to a double elimination Medal round stage. Second place teams and best 3rd place finisher go to a single elimination playoff for the 4th spot in the medal round.
No. The World Cup would be in Feb. 2021 and the Olympics are Feb. 2022. One year later.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
As long as they don't have those two cringy teams I wouldn't mind if they had a under 23 Canada and USA teams seperate from each other but when you have teams like Europe and North America it for some reason loses its seriousness and makes it feel gimmicky but I would really prefer if they just added two other countries beside those two heck why not give China the nod it would grow the game

Having China would be gimmicky if anything.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
As a Norwegian, I noted the "gimmick" team Europe made the press here cover the tourny somewhat. I imagine the same thing also happened in the other small hockey-nations. This actually has some importance in this small markets: if there is anywhere you can benefit from press, it's the small nations, as in some more press, some more PR for hockey, some more kids putting the sport on their radar.

Of course, Zuccarello was one of the biggest stars on that team, and this wasn't something the Norwegian reporters made up. So if you get that effect with all the nations represented, I do not know.

But that gimmick team wasn't only a joke. Just wanted to say.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I honestly don't even know a single person who really watched the last WC
I watched but only cause I missed hockey and as much as it was nothing more than an expanded all star tournament, at least getting all that talent together to compete against each other was entertaining. On the other hand though, there's no denying that the whole thing felt flat in terms of international competitive energy. It didn't feel like a World Cup. It felt like an excuse to placate those upset that the NHL pulled out of the Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad