- Team Quebec/Atlantic
- Team Western Canada
- Team USA
- Team Russia
- Team Sweden
- Team Finland
- Team Czech Republic/Slovakia

I'd watch this!

I wouldn't. not 1 second of it. just like I didn't waste 1 second of my time on the last gimmicky tournament the NHL came up with.

give me National Teams or give me nothing. how many ever they may want to include 8-10 or 12.

in addition. commit to the Olympics.

If they can't do this bare minimum, then I hope Hockey Canada/USAH/NHLPA gang up on the NHL to offer up a 8 game Summit Series border clash Team Canada v Team USA in 2022. which is 50 anniversary of the original, but Canada v Russia doesn't really have the same oomph it once had. And if you get buy in from US broadcasters, then it could really be a significant ROI for the NHL. which is really all they are interested in in the 1st. place. We know SN/TSN/CBC will all throw money at it. It's time for a McDavid v Matthews international showdown. This would be the only gimmick I can live with.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
As a Norwegian, I noted the "gimmick" team Europe made the press here cover the tourny somewhat. I imagine the same thing also happened in the other small hockey-nations. This actually has some importance in this small markets: if there is anywhere you can benefit from press, it's the small nations, as in some more press, some more PR for hockey, some more kids putting the sport on their radar.

Of course, Zuccarello was one of the biggest stars on that team, and this wasn't something the Norwegian reporters made up. So if you get that effect with all the nations represented, I do not know.

But that gimmick team wasn't only a joke. Just wanted to say.

I can't speak for the other Team Europe member countries, but the media resonance here in Germany was absolutely 0.
Compare that to the last Olympics where (despite having no stars / NHL players) Germany's silver medal was met with a lot of attention and awareness.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I didnt mind the north American team, they were fun to watch. I also didnt mind the europe team cause they were competitive. I always find it boring watching a country that just doesnt have enough talent playing against an all star studded team

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I didnt mind the north American team, they were fun to watch. I also didnt mind the europe team cause they were competitive. I always find it boring watching a country that just doesnt have enough talent playing against an all star studded team

The Gimmick teams did very well yes. Cant say it was a total failure the format, and I am happy with what we get, but I prefer the traditional way of internatiinal competition.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hooray I guess?
I'd much rather have the Olympics, hope this doesn't preclude that

They have worked in a stop in their schedule albeit a smaller one. But really the Olympic participation remains on the IOC granting not unreasonable requests in terms of content access and other things to put their league on hold. I am disappointed that the largest Olympic television partner in the World (I do believe that NBC still holds the highest rights deal in the world) hasn't tried to step in and help their partner.

I know it isn't popular, but I completely agree with the stance, until the IOC comes to the table with more than take our scraps, I wouldn't go either if I am the Owners around the NHL. These guys, especially the Olympians don't represent small investments. Until the IOC relents on some of the content restrictions and insurance issues the Olympics remain a dream, but it is their organizers making that problem for me. I will flip on ownership a lot harder once that hurdle is cleared if they aren't there.

On a more positive note it sounds like the PA and NHL are having decent talks whenever we get updates like this. What is most important to me, is that we have a deal in the next 12 months to extend the CBA.

Last edited:

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
NHL needs to stop trying to make the World Cup of Hockey a thing. It’s just a money grab with no real prestige or international feel. If it was an actual international tournament where various bid for the right to host it I would take more serious. But, when it’s played in NHL arenas with no real buzz with gimmick teams it just feels like a waste to me.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Either do it right or change the name.

The previous WC was great but the name was equally as bad. It was much more entertaining than the Sochi Olympics.

If they insist on calling it World Cup of Hockey then they can't have gimmick teams if they want to be taken seriously.

Thedogo

Dogs are superior to humans in every way
Mar 16, 2019
Chicago's south side
I would love to see another World Cup of Hockey. Just no North American under 23 or team Europe. I also would have it in late August early September instead of February.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I watched but only cause I missed hockey and as much as it was nothing more than an expanded all star tournament, at least getting all that talent together to compete against each other was entertaining. On the other hand though, there's no denying that the whole thing felt flat in terms of international competitive energy. It didn't feel like a World Cup. It felt like an excuse to placate those upset that the NHL pulled out of the Olympics.
It's was a cash grab for the league

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
f*** that noise I want the Olympics. Off the top of my head there's Eichel, Matthews, Hughes, Jones, Werenski, McAvoy, hopefully Bishop or Quick in net.... That is a world caliber lineup. Seriously come directly at me bro. Our chances at gold have never been better

USA all day boys

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
How about :

- Team Ontario
- Team Quebec/Atlantic
- Team Western Canada
- Team USA
- Team Russia
- Team Sweden
- Team Finland
- Team Czech Republic/Slovakia

I'd watch this!

Separate Quebec and Atlantic. The French are not getting those top end players. Lol.

But seriously I think it has to be separated Nationally like the Olympics.

Last edited:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I can understand the owners not wanting to be IOCs lapdogs. I mean, for people who claim they are in it for non-profit and no personal gains, I think the IOC - brass are doing the biggest hypocrite scam ever.

But if NHL wants to show they are in charge, while also helping in giving the world hockey, I sure would hope they made better friends with the IIHF. And let the world have real best-on-best tourneys occasionally.

Then again, as this would make the gap between the good nations and the, uh, not so good nations bigger, there is that.

The world cup is weird, as it in such a direct competition with the world championship - gimmick teams may have been seen as a way to make this less obvious and less so in the whole.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Honestly would be impressive if we don't have another lock out

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I actually liked the last World Cup, those gimmick teams though can leave and never come back. Also if it prevents a lockout then even better.

Reactions: Thedogo

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't care for the world cup. It had a strong brand during the Canada cup years, and even the 96, and 04 world cups.

But they bastardized it with the recent format change.

It's trending more towards an all star feel than a serious international tournament.

With the uncertainty of Olympic hockey, and the brand degradation of the world cup, hockey sadly does not have a legitimate feeling, best on best international tournament right now, which is a shame.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Am I the only one to see the world cup as a bit weird, as it in such a direct competition with the world championship? Only with less nations. I don't see this as enough to differentiate it from IIHFs world championship.

Gimmick teams may have been seen as a way to make this less obvious and less so in the whole?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad