Post-Game Talk: ‘50s Night, featuring “Bo and the Comets” and their hit single “Playin’ for our Dads”

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Guy was looking great and then randomly got called out by the coach and dumped on the fourth line. Now looks demotivated. Interesting.

"Randomly"? I think not. Goldy has been peripheral, uninvolved, defensively weak, unbelievably soft on the puck and quite selfish since Elias went down. He has been rubbish other than when Pettersson was feeding him gimmies. A fairweather player of the first water.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
...and for the umpteenth time Nilsson gets the 2nd of back to back road games and with half the team's best players injured to boot. Question: in the time he has been here how many of these type of games has he started and how many has Markstrom started? I swear he ALWAYS gets the 2nd of back to backs; certainly he has far more than Marky. Stats freaks please advise.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
...and for the umpteenth time Nilsson gets the 2nd of back to back road games and with half the team's best players injured to boot. Question: in the time he has been here how many of these type of games has he started and how many has Markstrom started? I swear he ALWAYS gets the 2nd of back to backs; certainly he has far more than Marky. Stats freaks please advise.
Well technically Nilsson is the backup so i'm not sure why you are mad. Both tenders are streaky but when Nilsson goes bad he really smells vs Marky.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It's just sad. I think someone said recently that he's like Higgins at the end. That's what I was thinking today. Insane there are three more years after this one.
An insult comparing him to Higgins as at least the later had some good seasons with the Canucks. Loui? Other than the odd game (or small stretch of games), you wouldn't know he was even on the roster (and not in a good way). Jeebus, even Sutter had a decent season with the Canucks.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
A guaranteed loss night. Should have put some money down. Really a mirror image of last season. With Edler and Tanev gone, they've got to move guys like Gudbranson, Pouliot and Stecher into top four minutes and bring Del Zotto back in. And they're just not capable of delivering.

But really this isn't a stunning development. The GM, whether through inaction, stubbornness or incompetence, decided to bring the same eight d-man back. And without Edler and Tanev, they're really not competitive with hardly any NHL teams.

I wouldn't say a guaranteed loss. The Canucks have proven they can win when the goaltender plays out of his mind. Nilsson kept that game close until the breakdowns became so bad he couldn't.

Edler and Tanev will inevitably have rotating injuries all year because they're older defensemen that shouldn't be playing these kinds of minutes anymore. The rest of the defense is so damn mediocre to God-awful that anytime Edler and Tanev aren't there to take basically all of the difficult minutes the whole thing breaks down.

This team can pull out wins if: 1) The goaltending is elite; 2) Edler and Tanev stay healthy; 3) Horvat and Pettersson are actually first line calibre players all year. If any of those three things don't happen ... they will lose consistently.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I wouldn't say a guaranteed loss. The Canucks have proven they can win when the goaltender plays out of his mind. Nilsson kept that game close until the breakdowns became so bad he couldn't.

Edler and Tanev will inevitably have rotating injuries all year because they're older defensemen that shouldn't be playing these kinds of minutes anymore. The rest of the defense is so damn mediocre to God-awful that anytime Edler and Tanev aren't there to take basically all of the difficult minutes the whole thing breaks down.

This team can pull out wins if: 1) The goaltending is elite; 2) Edler and Tanev stay healthy; 3) Horvat and Pettersson are actually first line calibre players all year. If any of those three things don't happen ... they will lose consistently.

Should I prepare a ritual to summon Cthulhu and Yog Sothoth at the same time? I think I'd have a better shot than this.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Still cant get over Roussels absurd takedown on Keller, such a random play

I thought his hand must have gotten caught up in Keller's helmet or something - but no, just Roussel deciding to be a twit. Very strange.

I've somewhat accepted that no matter how awful Pouliot is, he won't sit, but for crying out loud, why does he keep getting plumb PP assignments? I would far rather see either Hutton or Stecher in that spot.

Anyway...wasn't expecting much from this game, and got about that out of it. Good for Archie scoring a goal and Gaudette getting his first point.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I thought his hand must have gotten caught up in Keller's helmet or something - but no, just Roussel deciding to be a twit. Very strange.

I've somewhat accepted that no matter how awful Pouliot is, he won't sit, but for crying out loud, why does he keep getting plumb PP assignments? I would far rather see either Hutton or Stecher in that spot.

Anyway...wasn't expecting much from this game, and got about that out of it. Good for Archie scoring a goal and Gaudette getting his first point.

I think Pouliot has a better shot than them; it's too bad he hit the post on that one shot. He did look nervous/out of position distributing the puck at times, though.

But dear god, Pouliot is the main culprit for the wheels coming off last night. Just a brutal play on that giveaway.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I think Pouliot has a better shot than them; it's too bad he hit the post on that one shot. He did look nervous/out of position distributing the puck at times, though.

But dear god, Pouliot is the main culprit for the wheels coming off last night. Just a brutal play on that giveaway.

Pouliot having a better shot than those two is a problem in and of itself, his shots a muffin

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Still cant get over Roussels absurd takedown on Keller, such a random play

Yeah I thought it must have been some bizarre accident as nothing else made sense. If it was Crouse I would think "well that's a weird way to go after that guy", but Keller makes no sense. If Crouse had done something to someone like EP I would think "kind of a weird way to send a message". It's not even like he slammed him down a-la-Matheson or anything. So f***ing weird.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I hope Pouliot allows Juolevi to wear #5.

#neverforget
Pouliot should be gone by the time OJ makes this team so #5 hopefully is available for him. Maybe he should change his number though- #5 hasn't been very good for us in the Benning regime.
This is why I hope a guy like Leipsic sticks. He's always playing with energy. Turnovers be damned, he makes some sick plays, and he plays every shift like it could be his last. You need that for games like these.
Leipsic needs to play every night
Yes he makes poor decision sometimes, but man he can skate fast WITH the puck
Play him on the 4th line sure that's fine as an energy player. But him turning the puck over constantly in the top 6 kills all the lines momentum constantly. All I see in him is Mason Raymond better on the forecheck and way slower with not as good of a shot but higher effort levels.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Pouliot should be gone by the time OJ makes this team so #5 hopefully is available for him. Maybe he should change his number though- #5 hasn't been very good for us in the Benning regime.
No. It's his draft position. He must always be 5.

#neverforget
#sowerememberincaseweforget
#bylookingathisnumber
#ohyeahhewasthefifthpick

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Well technically Nilsson is the backup so i'm not sure why you are mad. Both tenders are streaky but when Nilsson goes bad he really smells vs Marky.

Perhaps that's because he gets all the crappy starts. 5 out of 6 this year have been on the road and he STILL has better numbers than Marky. All of which is moot of course; he is done here already and you can best believe his agent is already working on a deal with some other team for next year, one that might give him a snowball's chance in hell of excelling. He'll never get that in Vancouver.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The issue with Derrick Pouliot is he's a defenseman who can't play defense at the NHL level.
Up until that brutal giveaway (which he publicly owned) Pouliot was having a solid game..These were precisely the plays that Hutton was getting burned on last year.....You basically have to take Pouliot for what he is ..a 6-7 d-man (acquired on the cheap) who can play on the 2nd unit PP... on a rebuilding team...

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011

Play him on the 4th line sure that's fine as an energy player. But him turning the puck over constantly in the top 6 kills all the lines momentum constantly. All I see in him is Mason Raymond better on the forecheck and way slower with not as good of a shot but higher effort levels.
I like that comparable, Mason Raymond filled his role well enough, but definitely had his limitations. I think Leipsic will make a great 3rd liner/2nd line fill-in, especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad