Post-Game Talk: ‘50s Night, featuring “Bo and the Comets” and their hit single “Playin’ for our Dads”

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
0 points the last 9 games. He has some nice jazz and makes some good passes but has no shot nor any playmaking ability. He has to score if he wants to stick in the NHL because he sure as hell isnt a bottom 6 forward.

"9 games is a significant sample size"

if you say so bud

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
"Some good passes" and "no playmaking ability" doesnt line up. He has great vision on the powerplay for the most part and he's decent at getting passes through. He's looked good, but just hasn't been getting the points to show for it.

A playmaker can draw defending players towards them thus opening up ice for others. Goldobin simply forces passes through in the offensive zone -looks brilliant when it connects but uttetly stupid when it gets picked off. It's really similar to why Sergei Kostitsyn never lasted in the NHL- had many brutal giveaways and would frustrate the hell out of you.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A guaranteed loss night. Should have put some money down. Really a mirror image of last season. With Edler and Tanev gone, they've got to move guys like Gudbranson, Pouliot and Stecher into top four minutes and bring Del Zotto back in. And they're just not capable of delivering.

But really this isn't a stunning development. The GM, whether through inaction, stubbornness or incompetence, decided to bring the same eight d-man back. And without Edler and Tanev, they're really not competitive with hardly any NHL teams.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If I recall correctly Richardson stated at seasons end that he wanted to stay with the organization but a contract was never offered by management.

They brought in Linden Vey instead.

Yeah they made some moves early on that immediately eroded all confidence and excitement I had about new management. Matthias-Richardson-Kassian was a solid cheap third line. Instead we spent like three or four picks and a ton of money to get something worse. Richardson has held up surprisingly well though over the years. He was an underrated signing of ours.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Goldobin seems to have lost some of his lustre.

It looks like he's dejected out there. Can see it in his body language. To be fair, it's unbelievable how many grade A scoring chances he's created this year that haven't gone in. Playing with players who can't finish doesn't help a guy with his playmaking ability.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I missed the last half of the 3rd, looks like we melted down, but I saw promise up until then.

Pouliot is a reason to call for an upgrade.

We knew that.

Eriksson was hot garbage tonight, and in fact I blame him more than Pouliot for the loss, He brought down the one offensive bright light we had, and as short as we are, he hasn't earned the right to play with Horvat. Motte, Archibald, Virtanen, Gaudette, I'm not even going to complain about Leipsic being up there, all them were better choices than Eriksson. It looked like the team was trying to set him up to score. That's a big red flag to me there.

Gudbranson wasn't bad at all, in fact I think he was one of the more effective players out there.

Stetcher wasn't bad, but hasn't really shown more then a bottom pairing D to me yet.

Nilsson did as well as he could. I didn't see the final goal he surrendered though, but he made some big saves while I was watching.

It could have easily gone the other way.

Keller is a little punk though. Looking for a call after skating into Gudbranson....I don't feel bad for Roussel's ear pulling now.

Reactions: thekernel

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Someone should make a compilation of Eriksson getting the puck in a prime shooting position and either flubbing it or taking so long to release that he gets checked. Just in the past two games it's happened 4-5 times.

It's just sad. I think someone said recently that he's like Higgins at the end. That's what I was thinking today. Insane there are three more years after this one.

Nice to see Archibald get one. Would like to see him stick somehow. Send Schaller or Eriksson to Utica.

Last edited:

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Yeah they made some moves early on that immediately eroded all confidence and excitement I had about new management. Matthias-Richardson-Kassian was a solid cheap third line. Instead we spent like three or four picks and a ton of money to get something worse. Richardson has held up surprisingly well though over the years. He was an underrated signing of ours.

Completely agree and share your sentiments. Along with the contract extensions given out, it was hard to see the logic behind many of player decisions made by management.

Richardson has had a long history of injuries and can see why this would have been a concern for the Canucks but thought what he brought to the bottom 6 and his low salary justified bringing him back into the fold.

He looked decent tonight, Father Time is catching up but nice to see him still playing the game at the highest level.

Reactions: PM

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Bad
Virtanen - not engaged and taking too long to make effective plays. Passing in transition or turning off the wall is brutal. looked gassed.
Roussel - stupid penalty, turtles, bad passes, doesnt go to the body. I can only hope this is because of his concussion.
Pouliot - was decent for most of the game but then implodes in the 3rd and just cant get anything done with his shots or passes in the offensive zone. Needs to handle everything instead of one timing passes and shots
Del Zotto - looked lost by the pace of the game and his gap conrol and decisions were mostly poor. Goligoski goal was a head scratcher.
Schaller - tries hard but is pretty limited...looked lumbering this game
Leipsic - good speed and tonnes of try but he makes one too many moves, gets scrubbed out of the play and bobbles the puck too often. brutal turn over on SH goal. Showing why he hasnt secured a top6 role to date.
ok
Sutter Granlund Motte Biega Nilsson - limited players who gave effort but little else. Pretty good PK work
Archibald - good goal and he has a nice stick...struggled with pace as things went along. Better player than Schaller and Gaunce IMO though. Has underrated vision and gets his stick in lanes and can make plays
Goldobin - same story...some nice passes, gets a couple good looks and ends up delivering nothing but a death blow....need to get him going somehow. too talented to let his confidence hit rock bottom.
Eriksson - strong on pucks, good stick, skated well, but cant bury a gift chance and still has zero goals. Need better if your on the top line
good
Horvat - stuck with a really poor line and PP group. Still making solid plays and strong on the puck, needs some help badly
Gudbranson - one of his best games as a Canuck IMO. finally gets thriouigh 60minutes without imploding Nothing great but was moving really well and had hands and made good decisions.
Hutton - good to see this run of play from him. Really solid all around game, skating looks noticeably improved and is playing with an edge. This is a really important development if he can maintain it for the most part.
Gaudette - still an erratic player and gets bumped off pucks a little too easy but had a pretty effective game and is gaining confidence. skating is getting there and 1st NHL point.
Stecher - nice shot on the goal, nice attempt off the bar, drove play forward jumped in to help support the offense. Needs to play the PP instead of Pouliot who is too slow to make plays, was battling in all areas of the ice

overall a pretty solid effort for a team decimated by injuries to key players. Was a closer game than the score

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A guaranteed loss night. Should have put some money down. Really a mirror image of last season. With Edler and Tanev gone, they've got to move guys like Gudbranson, Pouliot and Stecher into top four minutes and bring Del Zotto back in. And they're just not capable of delivering.

But really this isn't a stunning development. The GM, whether through inaction, stubbornness or incompetence, decided to bring the same eight d-man back. And without Edler and Tanev, they're really not competitive with hardly any NHL teams.
Thanks for another doom and gloom prophecy piece.

You obviously didn't watch the game,..it wasn't indicative of the 4-1 score at all..It was tied well into the third,and a bounce here and there and we could have pulled out a point or two (we hit 3 goalposts)...It didn't go sideways until the end.

I predicted a guaranteed loss as well,but thats just not the way it shook out..You should have put money on it,you would have won,but been sweating about it for 44 minutes of the game.

Reactions: Nomobo

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Guy was looking great and then randomly got called out by the coach and dumped on the fourth line. Now looks demotivated. Interesting.
Yeah, it's this kind of thing that really makes you pull your hair out. All we hear about is prospects and future...but this team manages to go out of its way to play mind games with its young players. The only ones that have really been successful so far (Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson) are the ones that have been too good to be stopped by the hurdles needlessly thrown their way.

Anyway, team's in midseason form for naptime. Fell asleep for most of the 1st and 2nd periods. 3rd was just plain bad. Injuries bite once again, and there's just nothing beyond the first line and first d pair. Between this game and the first goal yesterday, Pouliot is determined to show us why the Pens cut their losses.

So much mediocre talent, so much money, so little skill. Take a screenshot of the Canucks at the top of the division, that won't last.

Reactions: timw33

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks for another doom and gloom prophecy piece.

You obviously didn't watch the game,..it wasn't indicative of the 4-1 score at all..It was tied well into the third,and a bounce here and there and we could have pulled out a point or two (we hit 3 goalposts)...It didn't go sideways until the end.

I predicted a guaranteed loss as well,but thats just not the way it shook out..You should have put money on it,you would have won,but been sweating about it for 44 minutes of the game.
I actually did watch the whole game, and sorry to burst the bubble, but it did remind me a lot of last season. Guys like Gudbranson, Pouliot. Hutton and MDZ can hang in there in a tight game for awhile, but inevitably they come unglued at the worst possible time. And you can't possibly believe they won't get exposed by the Pens on Saturday night who are light years better than the Coyotes. These guys just can't handle the extra minutes because they're simply not top pairing d-men.

But you'd have to think that confronted with all the evidence, the GM must have known this going into the season and decided for whatever reason he couldn't address it. Maybe a 'stealth tank'?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad