‘18-19 State of the Ducks Part II - Failed

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Or injured, or just done with Carlyle as a coach. We don’t know yet, and it’s too soon to label him that. He’s had rough stretches before.

Being broken down always starts with a series of injuries that the player never quite gets over.

I agree it's too soon to say for sure, but I can't say for sure he isn't either.

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Or maybe the league got younger and faster while they didn't.
Who is they? Getzlaf was over a point per game last season. I don't believe that everything changed over night. Kesler is either still playing injured or in recovery. Who else though? Silfverberg? You don't think pairing him up with Kesler might be an issue? I wouldn't say that Rakell, Cogs, or Ritchie are too slow for this league. Kase sure isn't. Henrique has always been a streaky player, and I wouldn't say that his play this season demonstrates that the game has passed him by. Perry hasn't been around, and he's not been around when he last was he put up a puny 49 points. To all of this we've added Sprong, and we've seen a few players in Comtois, Jones, and Terry all look like they could hang in this league. Eaves? Well, I'll admit that I don't know what a healthy Eaves is at this point. Rowney and Grant aren't young, but they haven't been our trouble players this season.

Further we've seen what is an incredibly fast blue line hit the same walls that the forwards have. All of whom are also young.

Reactions: Paul4587

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Dishonest? It’s the truth. Do I have to put a disclaimer? Whether he was injured or not. They have combined to put up 33 pts. We’ll be lucky if they hit 50% of last season’s 110 pts. Who knows what the future holds. This could be the new normal.

You think Perry playing 2 games 50 games in is the new normal? Of course their total is going to drop off when one of them has major knee surgery that costs him half a season.

It’s factually true, but it’s dishonest to the point you’re trying to make. You’re suggesting that they are broken down using their point totals as evidence. That is incorrect. Perry had surgery to correct an issue. If he even played this season at last season’s pace(which got better later in the season) your numbers are vastly different. That’s just Perry. Getzlaf is a different discussion.

So, yes. You’re being dishonest with that statement in an attempt to prove your point. Perry hasn’t been out so long simply due to age and being broken down. He was out because he went through major surgery to correct an issue that has been plaguing him for a while. An issue he was dealing with that still saw him putting up respectable numbers, by the way. Those numbers may not be anywhere close to making up for his contract, but they are good numbers. Any team would benefit from adding a 50-point player, and that’s assuming that’s all he can be.

We actually don’t know if this is an opportunity for Perry to bounce back, or if this is all he is. But the point here is that you trying to use those numbers as evidence they are broken down and old is dishonest. Their current point totals, combined, are a direct result of a surgery to correct a long-term issue. And we simply don’t know what the deal is with Getzlaf, but being a PPG early this season and all of last season does not suggest he’s broken down. Is it possible? Yes. But it’s actually not that common for old age to catch up with a player partway through a season. He was great last season. He started this season well.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I would say until proven otherwise, the Ducks main source of production is broke down. 33 points from Getz and Perry combined. Until proven otherwise I stick by “mid-30s, injured, broke down, depleted.” The only thing I’m trying to argue is that Anaheim lacks offensive potential. The money tied to an aging core is partly to blame. Zero offense, so they have to rely on defense. Defense is underwhelming with a revolving bottom pair. Anaheim Ducks hockey. It’s all Carlyle’s fault...
I don't think anyone is saying "It's all Carlyle's fault." What people are saying is that he is a huge reason for the Ducks fall. Yes, some of the top players are aging. But that is not why Ducks have lost 16 of 18, are getting blown out of games regularly, and have caused one of the top goalies in the game to be pulled 3 games in a row. The team is poorly coached, makes numerous defensive mistakes, and fails to compete many nights. Carlyle's player usage is questionable, to be kind. There is plenty of blame to be spread around, but trying to absolve RC is ridiculous.

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
You think Perry playing 2 games 50 games in is the new normal? Of course their total is going to drop off when one of them has major knee surgery that costs him half a season.

It’s factually true, but it’s dishonest to the point you’re trying to make. You’re suggesting that they are broken down using their point totals as evidence. That is incorrect. Perry had surgery to correct an issue. If he even played this season at last season’s pace(which got better later in the season) your numbers are vastly different. That’s just Perry. Getzlaf is a different discussion.

So, yes. You’re being dishonest with that statement in an attempt to prove your point. Perry hasn’t been out so long simply due to age and being broken down. He was out because he went through major surgery to correct an issue that has been plaguing him for a while. An issue he was dealing with that still saw him putting up respectable numbers, by the way. Those numbers may not be anywhere close to making up for his contract, but they are good numbers. Any team would benefit from adding a 50-point player, and that’s assuming that’s all he can be.

I would argue major surgery is broke down. And maybe he contracted Patrick Eaves disease or they all die in a plane crash. His next shift could be his last. I put zero weight on alleged potential. Kesler consistently up 40, 50, 60, 70 pts until last season. Shit happens. It can can go either way.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Who is they? Getzlaf was over a point per game last season. I don't believe that everything changed over night. Kesler is either still playing injured or in recovery. Who else though? Silfverberg? You don't think pairing him up with Kesler might be an issue? I wouldn't say that Rakell, Cogs, or Ritchie are too slow for this league. Kase sure isn't. Henrique has always been a streaky player, and I wouldn't say that his play this season demonstrates that the game has passed him by. Perry hasn't been around, and he's not been around when he last was he put up a puny 49 points. To all of this we've added Sprong, and we've seen a few players in Comtois, Jones, and Terry all look like they could hang in this league. Eaves? Well, I'll admit that I don't know what a healthy Eaves is at this point. Rowney and Grant aren't young, but they haven't been our trouble players this season.

Further we've seen what is an incredibly fast blue line hit the same walls that the forwards have. All of whom are also young.

Specifically: Getzlaf, Kesler, Rakell and Perry.

And yes, part of getting old and losing it as a hockey player is having a series of leg injuries.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Being broken down always starts with a series of injuries that the player never quite gets over.

I agree it's too soon to say for sure, but I can't say for sure he isn't either.

But since he started the season well, how in the world can we say that’s the case? Getzlaf has dealt with nagging injuries his entire career. That is nothing new(if this is an injury).

My point is that it’s premature to make that statement. We simply don’t have enough information, and it’s not as if everything is unicorns and rainbows on the team, and only Getzlaf is struggling.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I would argue major surgery is broke down. And maybe he contracted Patrick Eaves disease or they all die in a plane crash. His next shift could be his last. I put zero weight on alleged potential. Kesler consistently up 40, 50, 60, 70 pts until last season. **** happens. It can can either way.

Now you’re just being ridiculous.

And major surgery can happen at any age. Hockey is a tough sport. You can tear something and need it repaired when you’re still a teenager. Age might make it easier to bounce back from, but surgery itself is not a sign you’re broken down. It’s a sign you’re dealing with an injury. That’s it.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Specifically: Getzlaf, Kesler, Rakell and Perry.

And yes, part of getting old and losing it as a hockey player is having a series of leg injuries.
Getzlaf has had injuries before. You don't know that this is a downward spiral. And it is laughable to be writing off Rakell at this point. We don't know where Perry is at after his recovery, either. Kesler is the only one that looks like he may be nearing obsolescence.

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
I
Now you’re just being ridiculous.

And major surgery can happen at any age. Hockey is a tough sport. You can tear something and need it repaired when you’re still a teenager. Age might make it easier to bounce back from, but surgery itself is not a sign you’re broken down. It’s a sign you’re dealing with an injury. That’s it.
It’s ridiculous that anything can happen. Emiliano Sala. Ruslan Salei. Travis Roy.

And yes, injuries do not discriminate against age. It seems a lot more difficult to recover as age increases though.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Getzlaf has had injuries before. You don't know that this is a downward spiral. And it is laughable to be writing off Rakell at this point. We don't know where Perry is at after his recovery, either. Kesler is the only one that looks like he may be nearing obsolescence.

You're definitely right that I don't know for sure. Maybe a new coach and and an offseason to develop into a new system will fix them all. But I don't know that it will.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
You're definitely right that I don't know for sure. Maybe a new coach and and an offseason to develop into a new system will fix them all. But I don't know that it will.
I don't think that it's a certainty either, but I don't see a signal yet in the noise.

Reactions: Sojourn

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I

It’s ridiculous that anything can happen. Emiliano Sala. Ruslan Salei. Travis Roy.

And yes, injuries do not discriminate against age. It seems a lot more difficult to recover as age increases though.

No, it’s ridiculous that you actually tried to make that part of your argument in a way that wasn’t overtly sarcastic.

But that isn’t the point. The point is that surgery isn’t evidence a player is broken down. An inability to recover from surgery would be, and we simply can’t make that statement yet. Even if Perry were 20 years old, you’d still expect an adjustment period coming back into the line-up. But more than that, this surgery was done, specifically, to correct an issue he had been playing with for a while. In other words, the goal was to put Perry back into a position where he can be Perry and play more to his capability. We simply can’t say that the results this season are evidence he and Getzlaf are broken down, and that’s exactly the claim you tried to make with your ridiculous combined total.

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
No, it’s ridiculous that you actually tried to make that part of your argument in a way that wasn’t overtly sarcastic.

But that isn’t the point. The point is that surgery isn’t evidence a player is broken down. An inability to recover from surgery would be, and we simply can’t make that statement yet. Even if Perry were 20 years old, you’d still expect an adjustment period coming back into the line-up. But more than that, this surgery was done, specifically, to correct an issue he had been playing with for a while. In other words, the goal was to put Perry back into a position where he can be Perry and play more to his capability. We simply can’t say that the results this season are evidence he and Getzlaf are broken down, and that’s exactly the claim you tried to make with your ridiculous combined total.
You’re still fixated on broke down. Perry is in the injured category. I haven’t elevated him to broke down status yet. That status is solely reserved for Ryan Kesler and Patrick Eaves at this juncture. Perry and Getzlaf TBD.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
You’re still fixated on broke down. Perry is in the injured category. I haven’t elevated him to broke down status yet. That status is solely reserved for Ryan Kesler and Patrick Eaves at this juncture. Perry and Getzlaf TBD.

You literally just said that you’d argue major surgery is broken down. So, if I’m fixating on it, it’s because you said it. You’re attempting to backtrack on your own words here.

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
You literally just said that you’d argue major surgery is broken down. So, if I’m fixating on it, it’s because you said it. You’re attempting to backtrack on your own words here.
Haha. Alright. He is broke down until proven otherwise. Kes, Beardo, Worm are officially residing in Brokedown Palace. Getz soon to join them.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Haven’t tuned into the last 17 games? 1 goal, 2 assists, -22.

Unfortunately, I have watched all the games.

We can pick any player on the roster except for Gibson and point to their terrible production.

Coaching, or lackthereof, and a general manager without a clear path in place are far bigger issues.

Reactions: Bee

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Our blue line is hardly overacheiving. Our blue line needs a coaching and system change more than any other area. I still have faith that we a very good corps of D men, less the Holzier and Del Zotto fiasco. It is amazing than a former excellent defenseman like Carlyle can’t get our D to play together cohesively.

As much as people want to tout Lindholm, he just hadn’t been the Lindholm of a few years ago. And I’m not picking on Hampus, but he seems to be so overwhelmed by having the weight of our shot and goal differential dumped on him. And he has never recovered from his time with Bieksa.

Aside from Kase and Sprong, who are not elite at creating shots, we don’thave anyone who can create. Rakell for all he can do, gets sucked into trying to play 1 on 3 or 4 way too much. If Silfverberg could just hit a corner instead of a chest protector he could score 30. Unfortunately I don’t know if either of these guys can change. I think Rakell can learn his limitations. I will say that Ritchie has shown more this year than nearly anyone else. His production per dollar is only be surpassed by Sprong.

This team needs an interim coach around game 65. Someone who can send the players into the offseason feeling optimistic about next year, but still keep us in the hunt for a top 5 pick

John

Reactions: Bee

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Haven’t tuned into the last 17 games? 1 goal, 2 assists, -22.

That’s a team wide issue not a Getzlaf issue. He’s played with some below par wingers over that stretch and his linemates have missed multiple tap ins over that span. His underlying numbers are the same as they were earlier in the year when he was producing.

Say what you will about advanced stats but his PDO over that period of time is 0.90 and his on ice shooting percentage is 3.76% which is incredibly low and implies his current bad stretch has been mostly bad luck. He’s still the only forward that consistently generates while playing against top competition it’s just for whatever reason the puck isn’t going in for him or his line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad