‘18-19 State of the Ducks Part II - Failed

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Those comments from Murray that implied that this team wasn't ready to compete for a cup are still bothering me. Sure, this team isn't going to roll in and be a lock to win the cup, but in the right hands this team has enough talent to compete for it. The notion that you have to wait for everything to fall into place is absurd. Perry even looked good in the last game. Are they really going to sit around while the team withers away just to get better draft position? This team is not that bad. This team would not be failing like this under Boudreau.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Ducks play another cup contender today. Should be another embarrassment. Maple Leafs leading scorers have 25-30 (Marner and Tavares)points more than Ducks leading scorer (Getzlaf).

Rielly has 20 points more than Getz

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Ducks play another cup contender today. Should be another embarrassment. Maple Leafs leading scorers have 25-30 (Marner and Tavares)points more than Ducks leading scorer (Getzlaf).

You guys have Gibson though. Leafs struggle against elite goalies

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I feel bad for Getzlaf he’s certainly been much better than his point total but it seems like every night we play teams where the other teams top goal scorer has almost as many goals as he does points which is embarrassing.

Reactions: Doothpick

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Ducks are up 2% over last year? Henry ain’t going to do crap if attendance has actually increased so far this year.

As I’ve said though in another thread, attendance is only up because of the novelty of the 25th anniversary season (the two retirement nights don’t hurt either). It’s coincidence that they fell ass-backwards into sucking the one year it’s probably going to have no discernible impact on the fans showing up

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Good god that was awful. I need to see what the next 4-5 games are like now...really interested. Cuz in general, teams are allowed a bad game here and there. I'm not saying all of the recent games haven't been bad, but that was like exceptionally bad. But that was mostly 1st period.

But in the 2nd and 3rd, they were mostly holding their own, though I'm sure a lot of that was score effect. Jets didn't need to do much more than skate around to ensure their win.

Not sure if new Perry is looking better than old Perry, and we've been without offensive functionality for so long, that seeing him shoot might give us a false positive. But give him and Eaves some time to get back up to speed and maybe they start playing better.

How about that Sprong shot, eh? How many years do you think we'll offer him with his next contract?

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
As I’ve said though in another thread, attendance is only up because of the novelty of the 25th anniversary season (the two retirement nights don’t hurt either). It’s coincidence that they fell ass-backwards into sucking the one year it’s probably going to have no discernible impact on the fans showing up
This. Was going to post the same thing.

I do, however, think there are positive tailwinds for hockey in SoCal that will continue to push attendance up long term.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Those comments from Murray that implied that this team wasn't ready to compete for a cup are still bothering me. Sure, this team isn't going to roll in and be a lock to win the cup, but in the right hands this team has enough talent to compete for it. The notion that you have to wait for everything to fall into place is absurd. Perry even looked good in the last game. Are they really going to sit around while the team withers away just to get better draft position? This team is not that bad. This team would not be failing like this under Boudreau.

Agreed here. And I get the "Wait until next season to hire a new coach" but for the love of god just Fire Randy and let the Assistants take over for the rest of the year. If they don't play better, at least you tried to switch it up.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Good god that was awful. I need to see what the next 4-5 games are like now...really interested. Cuz in general, teams are allowed a bad game here and there. I'm not saying all of the recent games haven't been bad, but that was like exceptionally bad. But that was mostly 1st period.

But in the 2nd and 3rd, they were mostly holding their own, though I'm sure a lot of that was score effect. Jets didn't need to do much more than skate around to ensure their win.

Not sure if new Perry is looking better than old Perry, and we've been without offensive functionality for so long, that seeing him shoot might give us a false positive. But give him and Eaves some time to get back up to speed and maybe they start playing better.

How about that Sprong shot, eh? How many years do you think we'll offer him with his next contract?

This is what I'm interested in seeing. There are all kinds of excuses for a six goal first period. They were coming off an extended break, playing a team that had played a couple games already after their break so were more in game mode, and had several new faces back in the lineup. I'm not using these things as excuses for the poor play per se, but I think they certainly contributed to it. Then that period was followed by what I thought was a fairly evenly played 2nd period (I didn't watch much of the third). How much of that was the Jets taking their foot off the gas and how much was the Ducks maybe getting their legs back?

The next few games we should have a roster pretty comparable to what we were slated to have going into this season. How the team looks over the rest of this road trip will likely go a long way in determining what happens with this team over the next six months or so.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Agreed here. And I get the "Wait until next season to hire a new coach" but for the love of god just Fire Randy and let the Assistants take over for the rest of the year. If they don't play better, at least you tried to switch it up.

Hell, at this point fire Carlyle and let the inmates run the asylum. It might actually be entertaining having the players just coach themselves.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Also, we need about 45 points in 30 games to make the postseason if the typical 95/06 point threshold remains the same this year. This means we can't really lose more than 3 more games in regulation this month to be on pace for mid-90s in points. Murray has to be aware of this, so sooner those losses come, the sooner he should realize its just not happening this year and we should focus on trying to get different positives out of the season.

-Get over the idea of re-signing Silf, flip him for value and dedicate that cap space elsewhere

-Give Gibson a few less starts in favor of Miller when he's healthy

-Give guys like Sprong and Ritchie more minutes to see how they handle bigger roles

-Try to cycle the prospects through the lineup for another handful of games each (one at a time so you don't disrupt the Gulls too much

-Either reduce Kesler's role in the hopes he can find his game at lesser minutes, or play this hell out of him to run his body down into LTIReteriment

-Same goes for Eaves

-Get Perry going again so you know what level he is at going into next season

-Cruise control to a high draft pick

None of these are great positives compared to a winning season but they all have some value given where this team is at.

Reactions: branmuffin17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad