‘18-19 State of the Ducks Part II - Failed

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Those comments from Murray that implied that this team wasn't ready to compete for a cup are still bothering me. Sure, this team isn't going to roll in and be a lock to win the cup, but in the right hands this team has enough talent to compete for it. The notion that you have to wait for everything to fall into place is absurd. Perry even looked good in the last game. Are they really going to sit around while the team withers away just to get better draft position? This team is not that bad. This team would not be failing like this under Boudreau.

It would take God’s hands to get this current team to compete for a cup.

A really good coach can turn our D around and that would go a long way to compete for a “playoff spot”. But we just do not have the offense. A really good coach could get this team to actually complete a pass and have someone, anyone, follow the play and maybe pick up some garbage goals. Maybe a few practice sessions on skating the puck into the zone might help. If our hopes on competing for a cup rests on Sprong (who is playing well) and Perry, Heaven help us.

If nothing else get Jim Mora to do post game interviews because right we’re just trying to win a game.

John

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
It would take God’s hands to get this current team to compete for a cup.

A really good coach can turn our D around and that would go a long way to compete for a “playoff spot”. But we just do not have the offense. A really good coach could get this team to actually complete a pass and have someone, anyone, follow the play and maybe pick up some garbage goals. Maybe a few practice sessions on skating the puck into the zone might help. If our hopes on competing for a cup rests on Sprong (who is playing well) and Perry, Heaven help us.

If nothing else get Jim Mora to do post game interviews because right we’re just trying to win a game.

John
We absolutely have the offense. We have a deeper forward group than the 2017 team had.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
We have Kase who is out for the year. Silfverberg has 13 and Aberg (gone) 11 and Getzlaf has 10. Sprong has 9. We are more than 50 games into the season and 13 goals leads the team. Heck, the Blackhawks suck and Kane has 30. You can blame the coaching for a lot of things but scorers do score.

John

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
We are literally a laughingstock. Save for a couple seasons of Raider football, I don't think I've ever been this embarrassed about a franchise that I root for in my life.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
We have Kase who is out for the year. Silfverberg has 13 and Aberg (gone) 11 and Getzlaf has 10. Sprong has 9. We are more than 50 games into the season and 13 goals leads the team. Heck, the Blackhawks suck and Kane has 30. You can blame the coaching for a lot of things but scorers do score.

John
I'm sorry, do you believe that all of these players just magically lost their offensive skills right at the same time? And do you also believe that this is just coincidentally the same affliction that seems to have struck Carlyle's other teams right before he was fired?

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
We absolutely have the offense. We have a deeper forward group than the 2017 team had.
I want whatever dose this guy took before posting. The team with the largest goal differential has offense and a deep forward group. Yet our leading point scorer is 117th in the league. Our top goal scorer is even worse at 127th.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I want whatever dose this guy took before posting. The team with the largest goal differential has offense and a deep forward group. Yet our leading point scorer is 117th in the league. Our top goal scorer is even worse at 127th.
Oh hey, stat scouting. I guess a wizard really did come by and put a curse on all of these players. Point conceded.

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
Oh hey, stat scouting. I guess a wizard really did come by and put a curse on all of these players. Point conceded.
Did this wizard make them play to their potential? It’s not like the Ducks have any elite goal scorers. Rak is off pace, but that has always been the case when he plays without both Getz & Perry. The Ducks aren’t dangerous offensively. Why else would the coach have tried to sell winning 1 to 2 goal games. Not gonna get any more from this group.

Last edited:

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Did this wizard make them play to their potential? It’s not like the Ducks have any elite goal scorers. Rak is off pace, but that has always been the case when he plays without both Getz & Perry. The Ducks aren’t dangerous offensively. Why else would the coach have tried to sell winning 1 to 2 goal games. Not gonna get any more from this group.
Because the coach is stuck back when games were being won 2-1. You know, when players could hold, hook, slash, interfere and not be called for it. When it was difficult to score goals. When teams had players who were not skilled, were just there to fight and agitate. The game has changed, the coach hasn't adjusted.

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
Because the coach is stuck back when games were being won 2-1. You know, when players could hold, hook, slash, interfere and not be called for it. When it was difficult to score goals. When teams had players who were not skilled, were just there to fight and agitate. The game has changed, the coach hasn't adjusted.
Has our roster adjusted? Who do you expect more from? We’re seeing more production from fringe players (Ritchie, Rowney, Sprong, formerly Aberg). Declined production in dinosaur w/ a fake hip Kesler (completely understand). Patrick Eaves MIA (par for the course). Silf doing alright. Rak picking up. And then a load of injuries. The harsh reality is the Ducks main sources of production are now in their mid-30s,
injured, broke down, depleted, etc.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
That seems more like an opinion than a harsh reality. Getzlaf was over a PPG as recently as last season. He was doing fine earlier this season. Perry is still a bit of an unknown quantity, until he gets his legs under him again.

Kesler is absolutely broken down, and I don’t think anyone is going to suggest otherwise. Eaves was never really a main source.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Has our roster adjusted? Who do you expect more from? We’re seeing more production from fringe players (Ritchie, Rowney, Sprong, formerly Aberg). Declined production in dinosaur w/ a fake hip Kesler (completely understand). Patrick Eaves MIA (par for the course). Silf doing alright. Rak picking up. And then a load of injuries. The harsh reality is the Ducks main sources of production are now in their mid-30s,
injured, broke down, depleted, etc.
No, but this is not the coach (and maybe not the GM) to move forward with. He treats skilled young offensive players like hand grenades, dropping them to the lower lines or scratching them when they make a mistake. While playing Kesler on the PP.

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
That seems more like an opinion than a harsh reality. Getzlaf was over a PPG as recently as last season. He was doing fine earlier this season. Perry is still a bit of an unknown quantity, until he gets his legs under him again.

Kesler is absolutely broken down, and I don’t think anyone is going to suggest otherwise. Eaves was never really a main source.
Getz was a PPG this season before he disappeared. Does their decreased production make up the goal differential? Harsh reality or shitty opinion. The Ducks are paying large sums to players past their prime.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Getz was a PPG this season before he disappeared. Does their decreased production make up the goal differential? Harsh reality or ****ty opinion. The Ducks are paying large sums to players past their prime.

You seem to be arguing different things here. The goal differential isn’t simply a result of the players you’re talking about. And I’ve never argued that Anaheim isn’t paying large sums to players past their prime. I’m saying that your argument that Anaheim’s main source of production is broken down is not really accurate.

It’s too soon to say Getzlaf is broken down. Perry is a bit of a question mark, and I’d label Rakell a main source of production before I labeled Kesler. Kesler was a source of production, but he’s been behind Rakell as a main source of offense for a few years now, and that would likely be the case even without the hip issues.

But going back to the goal differential, that isn’t simply older players getting older. Our blue line right now is overachieving at ridiculous levels, and the forward support in the D zone is non-existent. This team was never designed as a powerhouse offense, but they should not be bleeding goals. As much as Carlyle is mismanaging Kesler, you still can’t pin that all on Kesler’s decline. It’s more like a systemic issue and a resulting lack of confidence because the team is garbage defensively right now.

Reactions: Exit Dose

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
You seem to be arguing different things here. The goal differential isn’t simply a result of the players you’re talking about. And I’ve never argued that Anaheim isn’t paying large sums to players past their prime. I’m saying that your argument that Anaheim’s main source of production is broken down is not really accurate.

It’s too soon to say Getzlaf is broken down. Perry is a bit of a question mark, and I’d label Rakell a main source of production before I labeled Kesler. Kesler was a source of production, but he’s been behind Rakell as a main source of offense for a few years now, and that would likely be the case even without the hip issues.

But going back to the goal differential, that isn’t simply older players getting older. Our blue line right now is overachieving at ridiculous levels, and the forward support in the D zone is non-existent. This team was never designed as a powerhouse offense, but they should not be bleeding goals. As much as Carlyle is mismanaging Kesler, you still can’t pin that all on Kesler’s decline. It’s more like a systemic issue and a resulting lack of confidence because the team is garbage defensively right now.

I would say until proven otherwise, the Ducks main source of production is broke down. 33 points from Getz and Perry combined. Until proven otherwise I stick by “mid-30s, injured, broke down, depleted.” The only thing I’m trying to argue is that Anaheim lacks offensive potential. The money tied to an aging core is partly to blame. Zero offense, so they have to rely on defense. Defense is underwhelming with a revolving bottom pair. Anaheim Ducks hockey. It’s all Carlyle’s fault...

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Getzlaf looks at least possibly broken down, imo

Or injured, or just done with Carlyle as a coach. We don’t know yet, and it’s too soon to label him that. He’s had rough stretches before.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I would say until proven otherwise, the Ducks main source of production is broke down. 33 points from Getz and Perry combined. Until proven otherwise I stick by “mid-30s, injured, broke down, depleted.” The only thing I’m trying to argue is that Anaheim lacks offensive potential. The money tied to an aging core is partly to blame. Zero offense, so they have to rely on defense. Defense is underwhelming with a revolving bottom pair. Anaheim Ducks hockey. It’s all Carlyle’s fault

Perry has played one game(well, two games now). Saying that Perry and Getzlaf “combined” only have 33 points is a gross misrepresentation of the facts, and you should be better than that if you’re going to try to support your argument. Perry had surgery. It’s not like he has been playing all season.

Reactions: Paul4587

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
Perry has played one game. Saying that Perry and Getzlaf “combined” only have 33 points is a gross misrepresentation of the facts, and you should be better than that if you’re going to try to support your argument. Perry had surgery. It’s not like he has been playing all season.

I included injured in my original post. It’s not my fault someone chooses to pick one word. “mid-30s, injured, broke down, depleted.”

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I included injured in my original post. It’s not my fault someone chooses to pick one word. “mid-30s, injured, broke down, depleted.”

You’re being transparent, and dishonest. Perry had surgery, in an attempt to fix an issue.

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
You’re being transparent, and dishonest. Perry had surgery, in an attempt to fix an issue.
Dishonest? It’s the truth. Do I have to put a disclaimer? Whether he was injured or not. They have combined to put up 33 pts. We’ll be lucky if they hit 50% of last season’s 110 pts. Who knows what the future holds. This could be the new normal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad