‘18-19 State of the Ducks Part II - Failed

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Really starting to think we should send off these picks.

Send Jack Hughes and San Jose first for massive help. We can give Getzlaf and Perry an entire front two lines. We’re talking about retirement jerseys and hall of famers here.

Wouldn’t it be our utmost respect to see what we can do to help them before retirement? Due diligence is what I call it.
So you’ve completely flipped your stance on this team...what a shock. Go from trade everyone for picks, to trade all our picks so Getz and Perry can win a 2nd cup

Reactions: AngelDuck

Beretta 390

Jul 22, 2010
So much said about trading or acquiring D - whoopdeefrickin do.

If this team can't score goals, they'll forever lose.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Honestly what else should he say?

Expound on the "what we're trying to do here" aspect of the comment?

"The pieces might not make sense at the moment, but they're going to fall into place as time goes by."

This is the same guy who told us last summer the plan was to transition to a faster/quicker playing team. He also expressed confidence that RC was the guy to lead the transition. After a total swing and a miss on last summer's plan he comes out now with a "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" comment.

He would have come off better if he had said nothing.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Says the man who plans on handing a 5-year deal to a 28-year-old Jakob Silfverberg, but deals a 24-year-old defenseman and calls it a part of the process of "getting younger"?

Don't give me that ****, Bob -- it's painfully obvious that you're clueless, and that there's no "master plan" at work here.

Bob completely mismanaged the depth we had two years ago because he hired a ****ing dinosaur with an antiquated view of the sport

We moved out 3 PMDs and got what in return??

4, if you count Pettersson in there as well. Has there ever been another team in the history of the NHL that has shipped off that many young NHL-quality blueliners within 18 months or so?

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
He can say as much or as little as he likes, I don't care, but that isn't a road map comment. It's not a direction, it's just saying we're going somewhere.
It's saying nothing by saying "something." Murray often says one thing, but his actions don't support what he has said. You can call it diversion, or hypocrisy. Maybe he's thinking of become a politician.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Not trying to defend Murray too much here, but he's kind of in a tough spot right now in terms of defining where the team is heading. He keeps saying we're gonna get younger. That is looking like he wants to move out or let expire most of the older players and guys that don't fit the room and replace them with guys age 23 and down to prep for being competitive again in two years or so. But he can't exactly say that in public. He can't say "yeah we're just waiting to trade or buyout or LTIR Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, and Eaves and then we'll be a good team again". That's not a good statement for anyone to make publicly, regardless of how true it actually is.

It looks like they've identified Lindholm, Manson, and Fowler as the core guys to build the defense around, and seem to be ok with keeping Silf, Henrique, and Rowney through the next year or two at least as veteran forward leadership. So we've got four groups of players:

Old/injury plagued guys we are waiting to get rid of or will trade/buyout as soon as reasonable (Getz, Perry, Kesler, Eaves)

Older players that are still young enough to build around for the next two seasons and be the new leadership group once the guys listed above are gone (Fowler, Lindholm, Manson, Henrique, Silfverberg, Rowney)

Younger guys who need to show more signs of life or more progress, and need to show a winning mentality or risk being moved (Rakell, Ritchie, Kase, Shore, Sprong)

Prospects who will be slated to compete for spots over the next few seasons (Terry, Jones, Steel, Comtois, Lundestrom, Guhle, Larsson, Mahura, 2019 1sts, etc)

That first group is just a waiting game. In two years I expect none of them to be on the roster anymore, and it is likely that at least Eaves and one of Getzlaf/Perry are moves this offseason.

The defensemen in the second group are here for the long haul, the forwards in that group are gonna be dealt over the next few years to recoup assets. I genuinely believe Murray kept Silf because the market was low this deadline and he know he can still fit on this team for a while and then get traded for the same high value. Same goes for Henrique. Rowney will tag along in that group until his contract expires because he's a cheap 4th line player who seems to show up every night.

The third group probably not everyone will agree with, but I think all of those guys are still being scrutinized. Obviously Ritchie and Kase have stepped up this season and are both young still so i think they are the safest of that group to stay, but they also hold a lot of value and are the types of players you can package with something else to snag a bigger fish. They all need to show more consistency IMO.

The last group is all still question marks but that is clearly the group Murray is looking to build around in addition the main three D guys. That's our core in two years and our direction is to trim all the rest until we have stripped everything down to those players plus whatever else Murray can bring in over that time frame.

He's looking to build an identity of up-tempo, blue collar players that show up every night. He's clearly looking at teams like Nashville, Vegas, and San Jose as models. But he is stuck right now because of some bad contracts and the fact that nearly everyone's value is low at the moment, so he can only give vague statements about the future and the need to get younger.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
f5da2be5326fecbe47e5e04cf96fc9648601.jpg
He can say as much or as little as he likes, I don't care, but that isn't a road map comment. It's not a direction, it's just saying we're going somewhere.

8e11c7e749e7395b36f03eccf7ac3ab9.jpg

Take your pick. Either feels appropriate.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
In Stephens' latest article he said that Bob would not comment on montour's progression or why he was traded. That's interesting.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I think the ducks will be fine as long as bob doesn’t duck it up by signing another bieksa/stoner to fill out the D or shipping out the young guys next season because they aren’t producing like he wants and they are losing.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him do either though.

Hopefully add a franchise center, fill the roster with the prospects and stand pat.

And I really hope they don’t pick a dman if they have a shot at a center.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Would it have been better if they moved Montour + Rakell for Draisaitl ? Then trade Henrique for a 1st + prospects.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Would it have been better if they moved Montour + Rakell for Draisaitl ? Then trade Henrique for a 1st + prospects.

You always need two sides for a trade. Why should Edmonton trade Draisaitl? And you think Monty+Rakell is such a good value for the Ducks? Sometimes I get the feeling you do a fantasy trade or one in an EA sports game and wonder why it's not done in reality.

You clear 3 spots who needs to be replaced. One is filled with a 9 mio in cash player. So you fill it with two rookies I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad