News Article: â€œThere’s going to be changes,†Henrik Zetterberg

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
A Backes UFA signing would be a disaster. I love everything he brings, but he won't be worth 7m/yr for 6-7 years.

Even 5 years seems too long to me. The dude is 32.

He's playing well right now in the playoffs, but the fact that this is a contract year for him makes cautious of putting too much stock in that.

Also, that fact that he put up over 10 less points this season than his previous two makes me nervous.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Even 5 years seems too long to me. The dude is 32.

He's playing well right now in the playoffs, but the fact that this is a contract year for him makes cautious of putting too much stock in that.

Also, that fact that he put up over 10 less points this season than his previous two makes me nervous.

He is good for 2 years and then he will decline a lot.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In terms of skill set, Backes would be a great addition. But at his age, the contract he's shooting for would be yet another financial mistake, on a team that can't afford any more major financial mistakes.

On a 3 year deal? Absolutely. But he'd never go for a 3 year deal, so no. Cut the existing dead weight, let the kids learn, and it's ok to end the streak.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Backes is a tremendous player. I'm just not sure he's the right fit for this team at this moment. 3-4 years ago we could have used him something fierce.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Backes is a tremendous player. I'm just not sure he's the right fit for this team at this moment. 3-4 years ago we could have used him something fierce.

I think he'd be a useful player for us for a couple years, problem is he isn't going to get a couple year deal. I don't think he's a bad compliment to the team immediately by any means though.
Definitely think Stammer, Okposo, and Radulov are much better options as far as fit, value and staying power go.(edit: damn phone) If we missed out on all 3 I don't think it would be a terrible signing, but I think we'd be better off signing no one than him to 5+ years. So I'd rather miss out completely on him.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I think he'd be a useful player for us for a couple years, problem is he isn't going to get a couple year deal. I don't think he's a bad compliment to the team immediately by any means though.
Definitely think Stammer, Okposo, and Radulov are much better options as far as fit, value and staying power go.(edit: damn phone) If we missed out on all 3 I don't think it would be a terrible signing, but I think we'd be better off signing no one than him to 5+ years. So I'd rather miss out completely on him.

Agreed. If he wants 3 years, I'd consider it depending on the dollar amount.

Even with this kinda deal, I worry he has that complete drop-off. Clarkson style.

13Wings40

May 6, 2016
Would you do this?

Sedin twins (retain %15) and Miller for Howard,datsyuk,Jurco,pulkkinen and 2 round?

Canucks are rebuilding.
Wings get there center and some scoring help but they will retires in 2 years and the youngs kids can take over after. Miller is back home in Michigan.

Thoughts?

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Would you do this?

Sedin twins (retain %15) and Miller for Howard,datsyuk,Jurco,pulkkinen and 2 round?

Canucks are rebuilding.
Wings get there center and some scoring help but they will retires in 2 years and the youngs kids can take over after. Miller is back home in Michigan.

Thoughts?

Is this Datsyuk or his contract?

I don't think Nucks do it.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Datsyuk contract.
make it a 1 round and give them sproul too
better?

Holland has already said that he's not moving the 1st to unload on Datsyuk's contract so that's not happening. Holland isn't that desperate to move Datsyuk's contract to move a 1st or even high end prospects for that matter. He might move Datsyuk+4th rounder that's about as good as it's going to get.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Would you do this?

Canucks are rebuilding.

Thoughts?

That does absolutely nothing for either team, but especially the Canucks.

And frankly, it's not the type of deal we should be making to get younger.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Would you do this?

Canucks are rebuilding.

Thoughts?

No for the love of god!!! stop @#$%^*^ signing /acquiring retiring veterans.

Daytsuk's contract is the easiest contract in the world to absorb if Holland would just play the young guys. If Daytsuk's contract prevents another Holland veteran signing then it is the 2nd best thing to happen to the wings this season.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Would you do this?

Canucks are rebuilding.

Thoughts?

Okay the Sedins between them make $14 million for the next 2 years retaining 15% still means that Detroit is paying them $12 million for the next 2 years

Plus adding 1 year of Miller at $6 million makes the grand total of 18 million that Detroit is adding to their payroll for 3 older players that we do not need.

So Howard at $5.3M for 3 more years, Datsyuk at $7.5M for 1 more year plus adding Jurco making around $940,000 1 more year and possibly Pulkkinen making around $1M for say 2 more years. That's around $14 million going out so Detroit is still over by around $4 million without upgrading our D Not taking into account the RFAs like DeKeyser and Mrazek and Sheahan, Marchenko that need to be resigned. This would hurt us more then help us.

These trades do not benefit Detroit in the least. Actually it makes it worse and there's no need for the aging Sedin twins they're not going to help us win a cup in the next 2 years. So this makes absolutely no sense for Detroit.

If we can move both Datsyuk and Howard without having to retain much, Then Detroit will be serious contenders after Stamkos this sumer

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Would you do this?

Canucks are rebuilding.

Thoughts?

WE're rebuilding

it may not look like the typical burn it down rebuild but make no mistake about it, all players on this team apart from zetterberg and kronwall that are north of 30 should be forced out the door and we should only be trading for guys 28 and younger and signing guys under 30

really we should be trading guys for more picks and more prospects

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
really we should be trading guys for more picks and more prospects

Like Darren Helm?

Nah. Thank god we had him for 5 playoff games, where he played 13:02 a game.

Or Brendan Smith?

Nope. Good thing we had him for a healthy scratch for 2/5 games.

13Wings40

May 6, 2016
im just trying to be real here. Everyone wants a young player but this is a holland move (old dudes or Michigan guy)Nobody wants to come to detroit unless we give them big money. when was the last time holland made a good trade or signing? brad stuart? we got lucky with DD.
i didnt do the math but lets just say the dollars are even and no one sign with us. would this be that bad?
or just lets the young kids play? but if the young kids plays we need to get someone to protect them. first name in mind is Windsor boy Matt Martin.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
i didnt do the math but lets just say the dollars are even and no one sign with us. would this be that bad?

No, this wouldn't be bad at all. The team has plenty of vets already to help shelter guys.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Like Darren Helm?

Or Brendan Smith?

i agree 100% on helm

on smith, if we trade him we're gonna regret it and i personally would hope it hurts us at some point in some fashion if we do

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
on smith, if we trade him we're gonna regret it and i personally would hope it hurts us at some point in some fashion if we do

People have been saying that for years now, every time Smith strings 3 good games together in a row.

Doesn't stop him from getting himself scratched the following week though.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
People have been saying that for years now, every time Smith strings 3 good games together in a row.

He consistently looks better on the ice (and has better advanced stats, if you're into that) than half of the garbage that won't ever get scratched. I'm not sure our personnel moves are necessarily a great guide for a player's ability at this point.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Like Darren Helm?

Or Brendan Smith?

Like it or not when you are in a playoff position you don't trade away important cogs of your team for a pick or prospect.

And Smith? :laugh: Bet his value was through the roof at the trade deadline. Lots of contenders would want to add the 'missing piece'. Shame that we missed that spike in value he had. I'm sure this summer when we trade him for a conditional 7th people will say we could have gotten a 1st at the deadline :laugh:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Like it or not when you are in a playoff position you don't trade away important cogs of your team for a pick or prospect.

And Smith? :laugh: Bet his value was through the roof at the trade deadline. Lots of contenders would want to add the 'missing piece'. Shame that we missed that spike in value he had. I'm sure this summer when we trade him for a conditional 7th people will say we could have gotten a 1st at the deadline :laugh:

Wasn't it quite known that Smith was on the trading block at the deadline with absolutely no interest?

Well, it was at least rumored I know that.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

U mean the same mgmthats such crap

Smith played well all season, team and organizational politics got in the way

Smith is more important to our long term success then kronwall, ericsson, marchenko, quincey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad