News Article: â€œThere’s going to be changes,†Henrik Zetterberg

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
God I hope it's not Backes. It probably is.

Same, his best hockey is definitely behind him and even then it wasn't anything groundbreaking.

I'll be really disappointed if we sign Backes over some others out there.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't think Holland is going to sign any veteran centers, especially ones with an injury history, to a long-term deal.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Huge speculation but it is fun. I have a relative who seen Draper and Maltby on their way to the Blues game tonight. Not sure what Maltby is doing these days but Drapes I think works for Holland? Could be some eyes on Shattenkirk and/or Backes. Could be potentially nice additions.

But again...Pure Speculation and Im basing this off of what my relative told me they were doing. (She asked and took a picture with them in STL.)

Hopefully not Backes he will be 33 when the 2016/17 season begins and his best days are behind him. But definitely yes to Shattenkirk.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Well you and I have way different philosophies of how to turn this team around.

My position is the more vets they bring in, the longer this team stagnates.

Yandle I'd be ok with because he would be the rock that breaks the wave for the (hopefully) prospects coming in on defense.

Then again, he isn't going to ask for small amounts of money short term.

After signing Mrazek and Dekeyser, Datsyuk retires, the Wings would have problems.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Backes is a good hockey player that plays with a ton of heart. I would welcome him to the Wings with open arms. Now I don't want to see the contract get too crazy, but Shane Doan didn't become a black hole playing that style. Iginla stayed strong for a little while albeit he is more talented.

I welcome more talent to the roster. Especially if that talent has a nasty physical edge to it.

Also and the reasoning might sound stupid in terms of some why I think it would be significant but Backes might be a huge influence on Riley Sheahan if he were to sign. One of the things that is near and dear to the Backes family is animal rights, something Riley has championed in his short time in Detroit. Could he become a mentor for Riley both on and off ice that grows him considerably and gets him to tap into his frame and potential? Time will tell, but Backes improves our roster and introduces sandpaper. He also provides a NA role model and voice to a room where Abby could probably use a little more help in that regard.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Backes is a good hockey player that plays with a ton of heart. I would welcome him to the Wings with open arms. Now I don't want to see the contract get too crazy, but Shane Doan didn't become a black hole playing that style. Iginla stayed strong for a little while albeit he is more talented.

I welcome more talent to the roster. Especially if that talent has a nasty physical edge to it.

Also and the reasoning might sound stupid in terms of some why I think it would be significant but Backes might be a huge influence on Riley Sheahan if he were to sign. One of the things that is near and dear to the Backes family is animal rights, something Riley has championed in his short time in Detroit. Could he become a mentor for Riley both on and off ice that grows him considerably and gets him to tap into his frame and potential? Time will tell, but Backes improves our roster and introduces sandpaper. He also provides a NA role model and voice to a room where Abby could probably use a little more help in that regard.

I said I don't want backes. But before I said if we get players who play physical. I think Sheahan will follow suit

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

Consider this is Backes last contract, consider Holland, consider the dead weight cap hits this team has.

Signing Backes would be a horrible signing. For every one guy that bucks the trend, there are many that fit the trend.

If Detroit wants Backes, they're looking at a 5-6 year deal at least 7 million.

Hell no.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Consider this is Backes last contract, consider Holland, consider the dead weight cap hits this team has.

Signing Backes would be a horrible signing. For every one guy that bucks the trend, there are many that fit the trend.

Hell no.

As I said the deal is certainly important. My ideal is Okposo in terms of forwards, barring Stamkos actually being interested at again a semi-reasonable rate.

Still I like what Backes brings. I like his accountability and what I think he would provide for a room that has rumors associated with it right now in terms of where the power is. I think he would command respect and his night in and night out effort would be wonderful for a lot of guys in there. I prefer it to the corpse of Eric Staal who while once way more talented just doesn't seem interested in more than collecting a check the last several years.

We don't have to sign anyone. But I am not going to crush Backes. Plays a heavy game, provides leadership, fills the stat column and is a spectacular person off-ice according to almost everyone. He is a solid add, hopefully the contract wouldn't be ridiculous. I think they work it out in St. Louis anyway. But sorry not going to line up and kill signing David Backes unless the contract is staggeringly awful. I think he will age better than some think, not perfect but he seems to be a PWF with some staying power to him.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
As I said the deal is certainly important. My ideal is Okposo in terms of forwards, barring Stamkos actually being interested at again a semi-reasonable rate.

Still I like what Backes brings. I like his accountability and what I think he would provide for a room that has rumors associated with it right now in terms of where the power is. I think he would command respect and his night in and night out effort would be wonderful for a lot of guys in there. I prefer it to the corpse of Eric Staal who while once way more talented just doesn't seem interested in more than collecting a check the last several years.

We don't have to sign anyone. But I am not going to crush Backes. Plays a heavy game, provides leadership, fills the stat column and is a spectacular person off-ice according to almost everyone. He is a solid add, hopefully the contract wouldn't be ridiculous. I think they work it out in St. Louis anyway. But sorry not going to line up and kill signing David Backes unless the contract is staggeringly awful. I think he will age better than some think, not perfect but he seems to be a PWF with some staying power to him.

IMO he ages horrible. Several concussions, plays hard, decent production(in his later years).

As a contender, you sign him to 5 years and hope the last 3 are moveable. If not, you take the chance at a cup and screw the rest of it.

If you aren't a contender, you sign him hoping that he helps you become one with him, which means he will want more money.

IMO, bad idea.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Hell no.

Backes may not be the perfect addition and I agree no way at 7 mil but he does provide the Wings a very different and possibly necessary element at forward. We've never had a power forward with that type of ability or presence.

As TZE was comparing him to Doan, Backes is now playing that role vs. Dallas. Physically punishing the Stars up and down the ice and playing solid hockey. He had the OT goal last game. Don Cherry was raving about him and for good reason. He seems like a great captain and still has juice in the tank.

If more "kids" are coming up Backes could add a healthy balance of veteran leadership. No I'm not talking about the locker room but on the ice where he still has...something to offer.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
if the blues make the WCF or the SCF no chance backes isnt resigned

he is their heart and soul and their captain, no way they dont resign him if they achieve any sort of success

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
No don't worry Eric Staal is bigger Holland bait than Backes.

I'm sure there's a puking emoji around here somewhere...

The team already has Z, who's supposed to provide leadership, on a contract for way too long. I don't think adding a second C on another contract that will almost certainly last way too long answers, well, anything for the team. I'm still not fully on board with Stamkos, but Backes almost certainly keeps the team in the 15th/16th place purgatory, but doesn't actually make them any better than that. And he further keeps another guy-we-should-be-playing in the A.

He's certainly preferable to Staal, but I don't think that's really saying much.

All that said, I don't think he's a bad player, but he's a bad player for Detroit. He doesn't make the team truly better (standings-wise, I mean), we don't need him (or, more specifically, the contract he'll get) to shelter anyone, and we supposedly already have veteran leadership (it seems... unlikely that his voice would be heard over Z's, for instance). David Backes is who you sign if you want to keep backing into the playoffs without actually getting better as a team.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

I think Doan is up for free agency? Doan is right in that Holland sweet spot, on the edge of 40. Former all star, he and Richards could help block AA and help the team back into a 2017 wild card spot and first round exit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm sure there's a puking emoji around here somewhere...

The team already has Z, who's supposed to provide leadership, on a contract for way too long. I don't think adding a second C on another contract that will almost certainly last way too long answers, well, anything for the team. I'm still not fully on board with Stamkos, but Backes almost certainly keeps the team in the 15th/16th place purgatory, but doesn't actually make them any better than that. And he further keeps another guy-we-should-be-playing in the A.

He's certainly preferable to Staal, but I don't think that's really saying much.

All that said, I don't think he's a bad player, but he's a bad player for Detroit. He doesn't make the team truly better (standings-wise, I mean), we don't need him (or, more specifically, the contract he'll get) to shelter anyone, and we supposedly already have veteran leadership (it seems... unlikely that his voice would be heard over Z's, for instance). David Backes is who you sign if you want to keep backing into the playoffs without actually getting better as a team.

I think it might be important to get a NA leader they respect. Depending on where you read around Detroit sports there is some pretty bad stuff circulating on Zetterberg and Kronwall. We might laugh but Cleary and Bertuzzi had that respect in terms of Zetterberg and Kronwall.

I mean I hope this isn't an issue. But having a big time respected NA voice might be important for some of the younger guys. Like everything in life clicks form and there is a certain unavoidable nature to how locker rooms come together. My opinion is David Backes could be a big influence on some of our younger guys. Get them to buy into a more physical brand of hockey and maybe present things to Blash and management with a different perspective.

Again I find it incredibly unlikely he leaves St. Louis. But having several leaders is important. Having more talent is important. David Backes makes us a better hockey team. His contract could be concerning, but he is solid addition if it plays out. He just is and seeing as I am not on the tanking train I don't see why we wouldn't be looking at guys like David Backes.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think it might be important to get a NA leader they respect. Depending on where you read around Detroit sports there is some pretty bad stuff circulating on Zetterberg and Kronwall. We might laugh but Cleary and Bertuzzi had that respect in terms of Zetterberg and Kronwall.

I mean I hope this isn't an issue. But having a big time respected NA voice might be important for some of the younger guys. Like everything in life clicks form and there is a certain unavoidable nature to how locker rooms come together. My opinion is David Backes could be a big influence on some of our younger guys. Get them to buy into a more physical brand of hockey and maybe present things to Blash and management with a different perspective.

Again I find it incredibly unlikely he leaves St. Louis. But having several leaders is important. Having more talent is important. David Backes makes us a better hockey team. His contract could be concerning, but he is solid addition if it plays out. He just is and seeing as I am not on the tanking train I don't see why we wouldn't be looking at guys like David Backes.

I guess my only thing would be along this line of thinking is then it needs to be Backes and the kids. Move Zetts to a role he can handle, and Get Larkin and AA and Mantha more ice time. Let go of players like Richards and completely stop those kind of sigings, its way out of hand the near retired players this team has seen over the last several seasons. The top 6 has literally been the walking dead for many seasons. How many top 6 players have retired as wings now in the last handful of seasons, Bertuzzi, Samuleson, Alfredson, Daytsuk, Weiss, Cleary, Cole some of whom were forced to retire because no one would sign them again. That is a pretty sad state.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd be good with adding Backes. Also would love Kyle Okposo.

More Americans, please. :)

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

That's fair, and while I'm not all about tanking, I'm also not all about signing more vets just to back into the playoffs again. If we don't resign Richards, Helm or Quincey, I have less objection to bringing back one guy to replace them and giving the other two spots to the kids. I dunno, I just feel like we have a lot of long term boat anchors for guys who aren't good enough to get us anywhere, but aren't, generally, bad enough to bench (either due to reputation or because the guys behind them are somehow even worse), and who are virtually un-tradeable. It would be... not exciting to see Holland bring in another guy who will likely be in a similar spot by the end of his contract.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I like Backes a lot. But I fear he will get too long of term. He's a gritty player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad