News Article: â€œThere’s going to be changes,†Henrik Zetterberg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
New article today from Bill Roose via NHL.com has quotes from Zetterberg stating changes are coming to the Wings. This feels like a very different tone than previous years.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=880779

“There’s going to be changes,” Wings Henrik Zetterberg said with a convincing tone. “You have to be aggressive if you want to be in the race. It gets harder and harder to make it to the postseason. More and more teams are equipped to do that. You have to be in the race.”

“You would love to get a little bit of everything,” Zetterberg said. “It’s hard now. Free agency is tough. You’ve got to get most of your people from your own organization. I think we have the youth. We have the players down in Grand Rapids that are playing well. We’re seeing that this year, they came up and played well. I’m expecting the same next year.”

Questions about increasing ice time for younger players, particularly Andreas Athanasiou, who averaged nine minutes in 37 games, resonated late in the season. This week Zetterberg was asked if veterans like himself need to transition to less ice time in sake of the team’s younger stars.

“I think so. That’s a natural step to go,” he said. “We went through the same thing. We’re not going to give it away. They have to earn it. When they do it’ll happen naturally.”

Zetterberg did say he should have played better, although he was happy to play every game this season.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Darn no-trade clauses. Hank would help the franchise best by being packaged in a trade.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
maybe Holland brings back Colaiacovo AND Eaves

oh and Cleary of course,the guy put up double digit points in the AHL this year and played in some games in the AHL Playoffs so that ought to be good for a 2 year handshake deal

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I'll believe it when i see it. When there is mutual interest to bring back Darren Helm, i don't expect any change.

Holland thinks the Wings are close to being one of the top five teams in the league. He isn't going to make any big changes with that mindset.

Expect him to double down on washed up veterans.

For reference, Holland thought he went "all in" when he traded for Zidlicky and Cole. Trading for those two players was massive according to Kenny.

He probably has to take a Xanax in order to decide whether he should wear shorts or pants before he goes golfing.

Last edited:

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I agree with Hank, changes are a comin. Or was that Bob Dylan?

But seriously I do think this will be a busy offseason. Including a trade involving a roster player. It's not illegal, I swear.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'll believe it when i see it. When there is mutual interest to bring back Darren Helm, i don't expect any change.

Holland thinks the Wings are close to being one of the top five teams in the league. He isn't going to make any big changes with that mindset.

For reference, Holland thought he went "all in" when he traded for Zidlicky and Cole. Trading for those two players was massive according to Kenny.

He probably has to take a Xanax in order to decide whether he should wear shorts or pants before he goes golfing.

They're saying all the right things...other than Holland trying to make the playoff series against Tampa sound really close. Someone needs to tell him Tampa was missing two of their top players. This series was an easy win for Tampa.

I agree we need to see how this summer plays out. I fully expect Helm to get one of those awful contracts Holland has been doling out to the likes of Z, Ericsson, Abby, Howard, Franzen, and Kronwall. If that happens and Holland can't move at least one of his awful contracts you are pretty much hamstrung and are reduced to making noises about bringing up some guys from Grand Rapids.

So they can say whatever they like, the truth of the matter is if they can't clear some of those awful contracts Holland has given out to like 1/3 of the roster then there's no way to make any meaningful upgrade to the roster.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Pretty misleading title. He followed up "there's going to be changes" with "there is always changes"

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Pretty misleading title. He followed up "there's going to be changes" with "there is always changes"

He said that later, the second time he said there will be changes. I see your point, though. The actual headline references "winds of change".

Anyway, this is the first time I remember Zetterberg talking about change and his ice time being reduced after a season ended. That's the real story. Previously it was about injuries and getting healthy. We heard them reference getting the bounces and puck luck. Instead it's an admission from the captain that "aggressive" moves need to happen to stay competitive. And that maybe the chapter where he's the top dog is closing.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
First change they need to make is to drop Z's minutes way, way down. Maybe that way his legs won't fall off after 30 games and he can contribute something in the 2nd half.

PP and maybe 8-10 minutes of ES a night, that would be the smart move. Let the kids run all over with their fresh legs and maximize what you can still get from Z. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure he would score more points and be much more effective over the course of the whole season if he played less.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Hank for GM.

Haha I think I caught that? Zetter sure does toe the line...

Fans a HF don't even need a written piece summarizing the 8 minute video interview with Zetterberg. I'd like to hear reaction to the full EOS comments on Monday: https://www.nhl.com/redwings/video/1516--eos-comments--zetterberg/t-277552348/c-43735303 I gathered a lot more than Roose was able to impart. Like when Z commented on the kids taking away some of his minutes his attitude got pretty snarky. :laugh: He said if you want to get a player you have to be aggressive. That the season did not physically take a toll on him.

He says there will be change but that every season brings new personnel. "We're close but a lot of teams think they're close". You have to make the PS, etc. With the language barrier I find the Captain makes a lot cliche hockey statements. Not going to get far mining for clues within his comments.

His attitude seemed very loose, smiling at a lot of questions or answering with a smile. Laughing inside at times. His statements cheered me up some. I don't feel Zetterberg is to blame for the difficulties the team is having.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Yeah, cause bringing back the hardest working, created the most chances, in this years post season Darren Helm is just a terrible idea.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Haha I think I caught that? Zetter sure does toe the line...

Fans a HF don't even need a written piece summarizing the 8 minute video interview with Zetterberg. I'd like to hear reaction to the full EOS comments on Monday: https://www.nhl.com/redwings/video/1516--eos-comments--zetterberg/t-277552348/c-43735303 I gathered a lot more than Roose was able to impart. Like when Z commented on the kids taking away some of his minutes his attitude got pretty snarky. :laugh: He said if you want to get a player you have to be aggressive. That the season did not physically take a toll on him.

He says there will be change but that every season brings new personnel. "We're close but a lot of teams think they're close". You have to make the PS, etc. With the language barrier I find the Captain makes a lot cliche hockey statements. Not going to get far mining for clues within his comments.

His attitude seemed very loose, smiling at a lot of questions or answering with a smile. Laughing inside at times. His statements cheered me up some. I don't feel Zetterberg is to blame for the difficulties the team is having.

Quite certain Zetterberg has great command of the english language. Just cause he isn't North American, doesn't mean he doesn't speak english well. I have never heard him in any recent seasons, struggle with english at all.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yeah, cause bringing back the hardest working, created the most chances, in this years post season Darren Helm is just a terrible idea.

Overpay for a mediocre middle six to bottom six talent cause he worked hard during a five game sample six is just a great idea.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Right.

Trade your leading scorer from last season.

:handclap:
A smart gm would've:

1) Signed him to a deal where he COULD be traded
2) Realized the run was over a few years ago
3) Traded him when his value was still high

Z has been a great player for a long stretch. But Father Time is the only undefeated competitor in sports, and if you're trying to maximize your value, you buy low and sell high. That means BEFORE he gets to where he is now, a big name who has clearly lost a step, and is at an age where he will only continue to decline.

Imagine what he might have landed in a trade, circa 2013. They had just pushed Chicago to 7, and it was the first year his stats had dropped. Since then, his stats have stayed down 2 of the 3 years, and this year in particular he looked old and slow. So instead of getting something useful to the long-term plan in exchange, he's going to retire a Wing, winning nothing of consequence in the last TEN YEARS of his career, and Detroit gets nothing in return but the handicap of his cap hit during these years of underproducing.

So clap all you want, but when he scores 40 points this year, while continuing to make 1st line money, it should be a clap of sarcasm towards bad front office decisions.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
A smart gm would've:

Z has been a great player for a long stretch. But Father Time is the only undefeated competitor in sports, and if you're trying to maximize your value, you buy low and sell high. That means BEFORE he gets to where he is now, a big name who has clearly lost a step, and is at an age where he will only continue to decline.

Imagine what he might have landed in a trade, circa 2013. They had just pushed Chicago to 7, and it was the first year his stats had dropped. Since then, his stats have stayed down 2 of the 3 years, and this year in particular he looked old and slow. So instead of getting something useful to the long-term plan in exchange, he's going to retire a Wing, winning nothing of consequence in the last TEN YEARS of his career, and Detroit gets nothing in return but the handicap of his cap hit during these years of underproducing.

So clap all you want, but when he scores 40 points this year, while continuing to make 1st line money, it should be a clap of sarcasm towards bad front office decisions.

1: his deal was structured the way it was to circumvent the salary cap,was one of the first(the first? don't remember) major deals to do so,and was extremely tradable until the new CBA literally added in a penalty if he retired early that didn't exist when the deal was signed

2: his points per game actually went UP that year,his highest since 2007-08,and went up again the year after

3: when's the last time a Playoff team did anything even remotely comparable to trading their 32 year old PPG+ Center and Captain?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
1: his points per game actually went UP that year,his highest since 2007-08,and went up again the year after

2: when's the last time a Playoff team did anything even remotely comparable to trading their 32 year old PPG+ Center and Captain?
PPG is not the same as total points. His body is breaking down due to age, and playing in fewer games because of it.

And teams normally don't. Because many teams normally put emotions before logic, and you wind up with the situation the Wings are in now.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
PPG is not the same as total points. His body is breaking down due to age, and playing in fewer games because of it.

And teams normally don't. Because many teams normally put emotions before logic, and you wind up with the situation the Wings are in now.

it was a lockout year where he played almost every single game in the regular season and then two 7 game rounds in the Playoffs and the previous season had played every single game what evidence was there that "his body was breaking down due to age and he was playing in fewer games"

hell the "playing in fewer games" part has NEVER been true other than the year he had back surgery,even as recently as this year he played in every single game

and if nobody ever does it how can you blame Holland for not doing so? seems like that "smart GM" you want doesn't even exist

also,think about how what you're advocating here could even come about

first you would need a GM willing to trade the teams captain and arguable best player for futures because it MIGHT be better for the team in the future if they pan out,you also need the teams owner on board with it to sign off on anything that big

oh and the GM also still needs to go through with it even though if(when?) it either backfires or doesn't pay off immediately he is almost certain to be fired(as a scapegoat if nothing else even though the owner signed off on it too)

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
A smart gm would've:

That's just not an option with some players. Players like Z and datsyuk don't get traded. The failure of Holland was that the team wasn't set up for them to transition into secondary roles by this point like yzerman was able to. Also you can't blame him for the contracts of z and kronwall. Wings got screwed when contracts were changed after the fact in the second lock out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad