Rumor: Zuccarello discussing extension with Stars

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Dallas is not only mats zuccarello away from a cup.

Well, they were a couple inches from beating the team that is a win away from the Cup. Plus almost every team is a straight-up bonafide Cup contender. I don't know how NHL fans are constantly forgetting this. Get better if you can because guess what? If you make the playoffs you're a Cup contender. X-treme parity!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If I’m the Stars, I look to sign Zuccarello and then look to offload Nichuskin to make room to sign Donskoi. Their top-6 would get a nice boost and their depth improves significantly in one offseason without breaking the bank.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
The thing with Dallas is we’ve gotta start trying hard to win now, because we won’t be winning later.

Jamie Benn - 30, 9.500AAV/6 years
Alex Radulov - 33, 6.250AAV/3 years
Ben Bishop - 32, 5.000AAV/4 years

That’s over 20M in contracts that are likely to end up being overpays. I’m not saying we should give Zucc a crazy contract, but once out 2020 1st is ready to play we are likely to be in a rebuild.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
The thing with Dallas is we’ve gotta start trying hard to win now, because we won’t be winning later.

Jamie Benn - 30, 9.500AAV/6 years
Alex Radulov - 33, 6.250AAV/3 years
Ben Bishop - 32, 5.000AAV/4 years

That’s over 20M in contracts that are likely to end up being overpays. I’m not saying we should give Zucc a crazy contract, but once out 2020 1st is ready to play we are likely to be in a rebuild.
The pick is not necessarily going to be used in the draft. It could be used in a trade. Ask Ottawa how well trading an unprotected pick worked out. Yes the wheels fell off there but when there are so many free agents and several that are better why not wait and see what you can get before giving up the pick so quickly. Zucc imo is plan B not sign him before free agency.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
The pick is not necessarily going to be used in the draft. It could be used in a trade. Ask Ottawa how well trading an unprotected pick worked out. Yes the wheels fell off there but when there are so many free agents and several that are better why not wait and see what you can get before giving up the pick so quickly. Zucc imo is plan B not sign him before free agency.

I just don’t see us getting a better player than Zucc for a 2020 1st. If we get a comparable player to Zucc or better I’ll be more than happy to keep the 1st. If we play coy and don’t end up with anyone then it hurts. Zucc fit this team like a glove I’m not sure if Eberle/Nyquist would have the same impact.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I just don’t see us getting a better player than Zucc for a 2020 1st. If we get a comparable player to Zucc or better I’ll be more than happy to keep the 1st. If we play coy and don’t end up with anyone then it hurts. Zucc fit this team like a glove I’m not sure if Eberle/Nyquist would have the same impact.
I have no interest in Eberle. Nyquist I believe would be a good pickup. But I want to strike out first with Panarin or Duchene before I go back to zucc. Cause what if we can get one of them that is a massive upgrade over zucc. Not sure why everyone assumes Dallas has no chance. Why are Florida or Nashville the leaders for these guys? Why not Dallas? We beat Nashville and Florida has not that good. Don’t get me wrong. I would love to bring him back but after we see what’s out there.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Dallas would be foolish to give up an unprotected 1st rounder for Mats Zuccarello. There's so much that could go wrong, and you may even have to overpay just to get him to stay.

They should let him walk and target guys like Nyquist or Eberle instead, maybe even Anders Lee if he tests the market

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Just because Buffalo signed a bad deal doesn’t mean every other team will follow suit. Max I’d go for Zuccarelo is 6.5, if that’s not enough then we can look elsewhere.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
As a Flyers fan, hopefully Zucc will want to play for AV again.

3 yr deal
Dallas would definitely offer three years. Zucc probably wants five. It's a matter of if they can agree on four years. My guess is he takes 4x6...4x5.5 ish from Dallas.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think he gets somewhere between JVR & Skinner. 5 or 6 years at ~8AAV.
Yeah. As @bl02 says, that's too much term and cost. Zucc might be able to get 5x5 or 4x6-plus on the open market. But I think he likes Dallas and Dallas likes him and they end up around 4x6 and everyone's happy.

Reactions: bl02

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zucc's not coming back @Webster says he hates us now :(. I see him resigning with Dallas, they just have to meet his terms. Can't imagine him taking another sweetheart deal.

He doesn't hate Rangers fans, not at all.
They gave him the extra effort award 3 times, he said his heart will always be in NY and he's a Ranger for life.

But he doesn't like Gorton, that's for sure.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
He doesn't hate Rangers fans, not at all.
They gave him the extra effort award 3 times, he said his heart will always be in NY and he's a Ranger for life.

But he doesn't like Gorton, that's for sure.

"Us"=Rangers...my bad for the confusion

Reactions: Webster

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Zucc's not coming back @Webster says he hates us now :(. I see him resigning with Dallas, they just have to meet his terms. Can't imagine him taking another sweetheart deal.
True, Zucc isn’t really motivated by money I believe. He wants to be where he’s appreciated on and off the ice. He’s a sensitive sort and Dallas fits the bill, he won’t come expensive imo.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not with Skinner breaking the bank and making 9M$.

Except Skinner just scored 40 goals and is typically reliable for 30+ a year. He also just turned 27.

Skinner’s deal might have driven Zucc’s price up a bit, but the situations are not really comparable.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I think Zucc will be more than happy with 6 x 5. And the Stars would do that, despite the loss of a 1st.

But some teams may offer more. So who knows what happens, not even himself at this point. His agent runs the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad