Rumor: Zuccarello discussing extension with Stars

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
There may be legitimate reasons why Dallas might not re-sign Zuccarello (too long a term and/or too much $$$) but not re-signing him because you think there's a chance you won't make the playoffs with him in the lineup and lose a lottery pick isn't a legitimate reason. Don't need a GM who thinks worst case scenario when making decisions.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Can they? Are no other teams going after Nyquist? I don't think it's as simple as you can sign this player instead. What happens if they miss out on Nyquist or some other player they really wanted to fill that gap? Should they say "Oh, well. There's always next year. Let's see what somebody else in our pipeline can do?"

I understand not wanting to give up a first round pick. But Dallas should be in a win-now model with the players they have. Maybe it doesn't happen next year, but being a contender should be their highest priority, not stocking their prospect pool with a potential 20+ first round pick, or bombing out completely and getting a higher pick / lottery pick. They have some older players, but this isn't a team going into a complete rebuild in 2-3 years where they made the mistake of not accumulating prospects sooner rather than later. They still have a solid core of younger players.

Call me bias because I am a NYR fan, and obviously want another first round pick, (I don't even care if it's protected or not), but even trying to look at it without being a NYR fan, Zucc makes a lot of sense to them.

Also, your biggest concern seems to be Zucc is going to delcine over a long term. Sure, depending on the term in might not make sense, but I don't think a 4 year deal is that unreasonable for him to sign. I'm not sure Zucc is looking for this ridiculous long term contract.

I hear you. A lot of the asterisks have to do with the contract terms. If they could agree to like 3 years, $15.5 mil I think that makes a lot more sense and less risk for Dallas. You're right there's no guarantee they get someone like nyquist but there are other options than feeling the need to dive on a grenade to hand him a contract and lose the 1st pick just because, especially if he wants a six year type deal

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
What do people actually think Dallas is going to do with their 2020 1st? Late 1sts are barter currency for expiring contracts at the TDL, they're not guaranteed wins.

Those of you arguing that sending a 1st for a few years of Zuccarello is insane - please tell me your thoughts on sending that 1st and more to EDM for 6 weeks of RNH, or to FLA for 6 weeks of Mike Hoffman. Compounded with the fact that this is a very weak TDL class - lots of nice names, but on teams that will either extend prior or won't move them - the value of that 1st diminishes.

That's what you're looking at - not the endless inanity of Schrodinger's draft pick. The Stars are a good team and will likely be competitive next year; they weren't lucky. They're in need of that help NOW.

Further, I'd bet against Zucc declining hard. He doesn't really rely on his physical...well...anything. He's smart. He's creative. That's his jam. Those players last longer in the NHL.

If Zucc wants 6x6 - yeah, that's a hard sell. The Stars probably have a 3 year window. Someone suggested 7x3 earlier - that's probably high, but not too prohibitive.
That 1st is very valuable. Yes keeping Zucc is valuable as well. But he does not put them over the top. I all for signing him but it has to be low that way Nill can still go out and add some more pieces. The 1st can turn into the players you mentioned or in a package deal turn into Kreider or Hall. It can be used to get a better player. At this point I would lean against signing him because I want to see if Nill can land a better free agent like Panarin or Duchene. If you loose Zucc than make a trade. Yes it’s a risk but one worth taking cause Zucc will not put you over the top and paying him 6+ for 5+ years is a waste. Just my opinion. I want this team to shoot higher than Zucc. If I had it my way Duchene and Myers would be who we end up with. Remember no state tax so the cap hits could be lower.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
The boys in the room love him
The fans love him
He did nothing but produce and helped turn Dallas' offense around
Other than Maybe Coyle/Johannsen for Boston, I think it's fair to say Zucc was the best deadline deal of this trade deadline
I think not re-signing him would be a huge mistake for Dallas.

Reactions: Lays

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Signing Zuc for 3 or maybe 4 years seems reasonable. Beyond that, not so much. Anyone worried about him slowing down, just look at what he did in Dallas so far. There isn't a switch that shuts that off this summer and makes him useless next season. He'll likely be the same player. He plays a unique skill game that makes everyone around him better. I think re signing him in Dallas should be a priority for them.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The pick is getting seriously overvalued here. Zucc has several years of top six caliber play left, and play exceptionally well for the Stars. Why give him up if he's open to staying on the off chance your 18-30th draft pick maybe becomes something decent five years from now? It would take something catastrophic for Dallas to fall into the top ten spot.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Sign Zucc and give the Rangers our 1st in 2020, if shit starts heading south and we are not going to make the playoff move him for a lower 1st+ that you would be giving up to the Rangers.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Im hoping they re-sign him too, but to do it for this reason would be a classic example of the sunk cost fallacy

Well yea I think its a case by case thing in the end. From what I read, excluding his injury, he did what he was brought in to do. Just seems silly to spend those assets on a player doing what you paid for and then to not want that later, but there are two sides to make it work. Maybe he doesnt really want to be there as much as they want him. Obviously other things play a part in the process.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The boys in the room love him
The fans love him
He did nothing but produce and helped turn Dallas' offense around
Other than Maybe Coyle/Johannsen for Boston, I think it's fair to say Zucc was the best deadline deal of this trade deadline
I think not re-signing him would be a huge mistake for Dallas.

They want to sign him, and I believe they hoped to get it done before July 1. But Zucc has confirmed he'll enter free agency.

If he decides to drop the Stars and block a 1st to the Rangers, perhaps part of the reason is that he'll have his little revenge on Gorton, who treated him like crap last season...

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Quite the precarious situation for Dallas.

They finally took a step forward this year, and there is clearly pressure from ownership to win. Nill needs to do whatever he can to keep this team together, and that includes retaining Zuccarello.

At the same time, surrendering a future 1st assumes significant risk, and the Stars have a history of icing a playoff roster on paper that underwhelms and ultimately misses the playoffs.

They also have a history of colossally ****ing up their first round picks, too. So there's that. :laugh:

Zucc is a sure thing. A first round pick in the hands of Dallas's scouts? Not so much.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
They also have a history of colossally ****ing up their first round picks, too. So there's that. :laugh:

Zucc is a sure thing. A first round pick in the hands of Dallas's scouts? Not so much.

Well, that too. I'm merely weighing both sides.

Like I said, I'd probably just extend Zuccarello. If they let him walk, they'll just be back shopping for a Zucc-type player anyway at the deadline.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
They want to sign him, and I believe they hoped to get it done before July 1. But Zucc has confirmed he'll enter free agency.

If he decides to drop the Stars and block a 1st to the Rangers, perhaps part of the reason is that he'll have his little revenge on Gorton, who treated him like crap last season...

When and where did he confirm that?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That 1st is very valuable. Yes keeping Zucc is valuable as well. But he does not put them over the top. I all for signing him but it has to be low that way Nill can still go out and add some more pieces. The 1st can turn into the players you mentioned or in a package deal turn into Kreider or Hall. It can be used to get a better player. At this point I would lean against signing him because I want to see if Nill can land a better free agent like Panarin or Duchene. If you loose Zucc than make a trade. Yes it’s a risk but one worth taking cause Zucc will not put you over the top and paying him 6+ for 5+ years is a waste. Just my opinion. I want this team to shoot higher than Zucc. If I had it my way Duchene and Myers would be who we end up with. Remember no state tax so the cap hits could be lower.

They most likely aren't getting Hall unless the 1st is package with something really good, should Hall tell NJD he's not signing. Coming from a NYR fan, kreider is younger and faster than Zucc, but he's nowhere near as good.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
When and where did he confirm that?

In Oslo a few days ago, he attends the city's top team training camp, talked to some reporters there.

"På spørsmål fra VårtOslo om når det blir klart hvilken klubb han skal spille for neste sesong, sier Zucca at det mest sansynlig faller på plass første uka i juli."

Translated...they asked him when we'll know where in the NHL he'll play next season. He said there will most likely be a decision during the first week of July.

"Daniel Sørvik og VIF hockey i beinhard trening på Frogner stadion når andre planlegger ferie

Last edited:

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
I think Zuccarello signing comes down to money and term. Player clearly liked it in Dallas. Team loved him. The fit and chemistry was clear. In my eyes losing the first is ok considering that we are signing proven player not some UFA when there is always questions about how the player will fit.

Considering what kind of deals Nill has been making and his speak about Dallas being contending now I believe Nill is not afraid to give term for less cap hit.

Reactions: egelband

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Is trading a UFA for assets equal to treating someone like crap?
It's a business.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
In a vacuum, yeah, zucc is 100% more valuable than the 1st. This isn’t a debate.

However, when you consider how deep the forward market is this year, as well as the ability to use that first in season for more help, the situation gets a lot murkier.

Either way, I don’t think Dallas picks in the first round next draft. Whether that be because of Zucc or whoever is available around the deadline next year remains to be seen.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
If the Stars don't sign Zucc I would really love for the Rangers to bring him back. I know a lot of NYR fans would be against that but I really would hate to see him sign with an evil team. I'd be more than happy to have him retire a Blueshirt

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Dallas is old so they may as well sign zucc. They will prob trade their first for another rental at the trade deadline anyways . And tbh maybe they can make a push for the finals with a year older heisk and hintz .

The team will probably crash hard once Benn radulov and bishop regress so they should push now .

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Is trading a UFA for assets equal to treating someone like crap?
It's a business.

That's not what I said. It's something that went on all season.

If the Stars don't sign Zucc I would really love for the Rangers to bring him back. I know a lot of NYR fans would be against that but I really would hate to see him sign with an evil team. I'd be more than happy to have him retire a Blueshirt

You probably have to get rid of Gorton before Zucc even thinks about a reunion with the Rangers.

Personally I hope he signs with the Stars. As GM Nill said, he fits like a glove. And on social media it looks like almost every Stars fan is waiting for him to sign there. That's special, I wouldn't walk away from such a great fanbase.

Problem is, I don't see him as a Texas boy. And he doesn't see Dallas as a hockey town. But maybe he'll change his mind about that because of all this nice support from the fans.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
That's not what I said. It's something that went on all season.

Clarify what you said. Or are you upset that they traded a guy you liked and are making a generalization because you might have been angry over it?

Zucc had to know he was getting traded, he should have been traded a year prior but the McD trade took up too much time. There was said to have been a deal for Zucc to be moved but NY ran out of time. So getting moved may have upset him personally but he knew it was coming.

Reactions: NYRKING30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad