Rumor: Zuccarello discussing extension with Stars

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Definitely gonna come down to whether Nill wants to part with that first in 2020.
Zucc is a good fit there and obviously Dallas is a team that is ready to compete considering they took the Blues as far as you could take them in game 7 overtime.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Definitely gonna come down to whether Nill wants to part with that first in 2020.
Zucc is a good fit there and obviously Dallas is a team that is ready to compete considering they took the Blues as far as you could take them in game 7 overtime.

Dallas took a big step this year. Worth it to keep the train going.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Dallas took a big step this year. Worth it to keep the train going.
If the Rangers didn't have a first rounder on the line with Zucc resigning in Dallas (and if they were a bit closer to seriously competing) I wouldn't hate it if the Rangers resigned him for a 3-4 year contract. Albeit i'm sure he's looking for 5 years.

Jan 21, 2018
I like him but that 1st is a hefty price to give up.

Are the stars better off with Zuc or a 1st + a FA winger like Nyquist?

Obviously no guarentees they can land a similar calibre FA but cap space will always hold value and I'd much rather keep a 1st, the team is one seguin/benn injury away from making that 1st pretty valuable.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Does the pick become a first if he signs after July 1?
That is a good question. I would say yes the 3rd still turns into a first.
Anyone know if it is top 10 or lottery protected? (although I'm sure the Stars will be a decent team with him on the roster.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I like him but that 1st is a hefty price to give up.

Are the stars better off with Zuc or a 1st + a FA winger like Nyquist?

Obviously no guarentees they can land a similar calibre FA but cap space will always hold value and I'd much rather keep a 1st, the team is one seguin/benn injury away from making that 1st pretty valuable.
He's better than Nyquist and obviously after seeing what he did with a broken arm I don't see how that is debatable so its up to stars fans to decide whether he' worth a first. That first probably will be around 18-28???

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
They should go for Nyquist instead. Giving up an unprotected 1st before the season starts is a bad idea.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I totally get not wanting to give up the 1st but the reality is if his asking price isn't insane he would be perfect for that team. 14 pts in 15 games, lots of play off experience, tons of grit and heart, and has an insane ability to open the ice up. If he had better finishers on the rangers he would probably be able to command a lot more so he should be great value for his price.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
The known chemistry that Zuccarello has with the group in Dallas, along with a group that is ready to win now, is worth more than the 62 spots in value that Dallas would be giving up by sending their 1st round pick as opposed to their 3rd.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
If Nill is so worried about the 1st, then he shouldn't have made the condition that it becomes a 1st.

Looks like the condition doesn't matter when he re-signs, just that he does.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Quite the precarious situation for Dallas.

They finally took a step forward this year, and there is clearly pressure from ownership to win. Nill needs to do whatever he can to keep this team together, and that includes retaining Zuccarello.

At the same time, surrendering a future 1st assumes significant risk, and the Stars have a history of icing a playoff roster on paper that underwhelms and ultimately misses the playoffs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Anyone know if it is top 10 or lottery protected? (although I'm sure the Stars will be a decent team with him on the roster.
Never know right. Stars strong D but scoring depth an issue. More confident in their PO expectations if Benn returns to being a PPG player.

We’ve seen in recent years that teams holding drafts sits if 10 or later winning the draft lottery and moving up.

So being protected is a big deal.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Quite the precarious situation for Dallas.

They finally took a step forward this year, and there is clearly pressure from ownership to win. Nill needs to do whatever he can to keep this team together, and that includes retaining Zuccarello.

At the same time, surrendering a future 1st assumes significant risk, and the Stars have a history of icing a playoff roster on paper that underwhelms and ultimately misses the playoffs.

If they were a team that could revert into a lottery team, I’d most definitely agree with that last part. However, if the mindset is to win now and you re-sign Zuccarello, one would assume that’s not going to be the only move they make to improve the team and with Heiskanen getting more experienced and better and other young pieces coming along, they’re in more of a position to succeed than fail.

The question at that point is... “Is a later round 1st worth keeping Zuccarello, who proved to be an amazing fit?”

I think the answer is yes. If this was a younger team, I’d have to take a much closer look at things.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i'd never give up an unprotected 1st for a 30-something top 6 winger. it's great that he had awesome chemistry
with the stars, but say seguin and heiskanen get injured long term and the pick ends up top 5. that's brutal.
and 2020 looks like a really sweet draft. JMO.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Yes the condition is if Zuccarello re-signs with Dallas for next season. Regardless if it's before or after July 1st.

The first is unprotected.

Reactions: bl02

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
How is this even a question? do you want a legitimate top 6 forward or a 1st round pick who MIGHT turn into a legitimate top 6 forward?

it's a simple answer

The answer could be both. There are definitely a few top 6 wingers on the free agent market. I count 7.

The 2020 draft is also ridiculously deep.

Reactions: majormajor

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I would think this is a no-brainer for Nill. Zucc gives them the secondary scoring that they need. He clearly has chemistry with almost anyone he plays with, so he can slot in just about anywhere. Lastly, he is just the kind of guy you want in your room. He is a fearless leader and one of the funniest guys in the league.
Once again, certain posters are placing way too much value on a mid-first round pick, particularly for a team in win-now mode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad