Rumor: Zuccarello discussing extension with Stars

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Dallas would be foolish to give up an unprotected 1st rounder for Mats Zuccarello. There's so much that could go wrong, and you may even have to overpay just to get him to stay.

They should let him walk and target guys like Nyquist or Eberle instead, maybe even Anders Lee if he tests the market
Dallas has proven chemistry with Zucc though and he’s fit in very well already. What if they sign any of those UFA’s to a long term contract and they don’t click with the team? Zucc is a great leader/role model and was a reason why Dallas got so far. Stars suck at drafting in the first anyway and their window is open now until Seguin/Benn start declining in a few years. Radulov is pretty old as well. That 2020 first will make an actual impact on their team in around 5 years from now and that’s assuming he develops well. Zucc made a massive impact on the team from the day he was traded to them and any Stars fan would agree

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Dallas has proven chemistry with Zucc though and he’s fit in very well already. What if they sign any of those UFA’s to a long term contract and they don’t click with the team? Zucc is a great leader/role model and was a reason why Dallas got so far. Stars suck at drafting in the first anyway and their window is open now until Seguin/Benn start declining in a few years. Radulov is pretty old as well. That 2020 first will make an actual impact on their team in around 5 years from now and that’s assuming he develops well. Zucc made a massive impact on the team from the day he was traded to them and any Stars fan would agree

Because Seguin and Benn could get injured long term game 1, Zuccarello may get hurt game 1, Zucc may not be as good next year, he may be just as good next year but Seguin and Benn regress, maybe Heiskanen has a sophmore slump, Bishop may get injured, other teams in the central may be better than anticipated and so much more.

I get that Zucc played an importannt role but he was still a depth winger that can be replaced without giving up an unprotected first round pick. If the Stars are in a playoff hunt come trade deadline, they can use it as a trade piece then, when you have a better idea of where that pick will be.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Playoff production can vary from year to year, it's still stupid to give up an unprotected first for Zucc

Have no idea how you're thinking. That 1st may mean something 5 years from now, Nill basically said he doesn't care about losing it.

The Stars are ready to be a real cup contender now, and Zucc will be a great reinforcement. Zucc or the 1st? It's a no brainer for them.

Reactions: pld459666

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Have no idea how you're thinking. That 1st may mean something 5 years from now, Nill basically said he doesn't care about losing it.

The Stars are ready to be a real cup contender now, and Zucc will be a great reinforcement. Zucc or the 1st? It's a no brainer for them.
I get how he is thinking. Look at Ottawa. Prime example of giving up unprecedented 1st round picks. What I don’t get is the thinking at this 1st has to be used for a draft pick. I could be packaged in a trade for another player. There are too many point producing players available either free agency or via trade to just say goodbye to this pick unprotected. It could have a ton of value. It could have little value. We don’t know yet. I hope it is the last pick in the 2020 draft. But that’s a massive risk along with a big contract for him when there are other options.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I get how he is thinking. Look at Ottawa. Prime example of giving up unprecedented 1st round picks. What I don’t get is the thinking at this 1st has to be used for a draft pick. I could be packaged in a trade for another player. There are too many point producing players available either free agency or via trade to just say goodbye to this pick unprotected. It could have a ton of value. It could have little value. We don’t know yet. I hope it is the last pick in the 2020 draft. But that’s a massive risk along with a big contract for him when there are other options.

There is really no comparing the Sens roster this past season to the Stars roster heading into 2019-20

They are nothing like each other.

At all

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
There is really no comparing the Sens roster this past season to the Stars roster heading into 2019-20

They are nothing like each other.

At all
I Don't think that's what he was saying at all. When the Senators traded their 1st for Duchesne, they were a team on the rise. Then all hell broke loose, a chaos grenade went off in their locker room, and the team fell to pieces. They never dreamed they were dealing a lottery pick when they did it. Could Dallas wind up last overall? Doubtful. But it could happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad