Zuccarello Appreciation Thread Part 2

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Bleed Ranger Blue
I think hes riding shotgun more than anything. Kreider's improved play is the catalyst.

No doubt Zuccarello is a creative player, but hes not big or strong enough to find the time and space needed on a consistent basis.

You still think so? Since separated from Kreider, Zuccarello has increased his point production to roughly PPG level, while spending most of his time on the 2nd PP unit instead of the 1st.

Kreiders point production has decreased since separated from Zuccarello, despite being on the 1st PP unit and getting prime ice time with Stepan and Nash.

I'm not saying that Kreider isn't good, I really like him. But I do think that saying that Zuccarello is riding shotgun is a silly statement. At least in hindsight.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Zuke is now officially the 2nd best player on the entire team in points. One of very few positives this season. That Zuke is a catalyst for his linemates and not the other way around is obvious. Where he goes, so does the production go. He's the best playmaker on the team and yes, that means better than Richards and Stepan. How to interpret that and what that means for this team is up for discussion, as he shouldn't be the best playmaker.

What AV sees that we can't, is a mystery. Put him back on the 1st PP unit if we want to somehow save this despairing season.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Add 2 more minutes on PP, 3 and a half minutes on EQ and Zuke is one point a head. The rest is the same. And why doesn't AV / Arniel see the obvious concerning the 1st vs the second PP unit?

You wonder if they are trying to get the other guys going ... the ones who get paid a lot more.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I'm curious if AV would ever consider letting him Center a line with Kreider and Nash

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
After being a fan of his the first two seasons, I'll admit I was hoping to replace him with someone else after a slow start this season.

What the hell do I know? The guy is one of the best forwards I've seen in blue night-in-and-night-out I've seen in a long time. Not to mention a team that definitely could use some swagger, he's indispensible. This guy is single handedly carrying our offense for over a month now. Everyone that's put on his line has their best games. Geeeez. Go Zucc's!

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Zucc is finally playing like he was hyped when we first signed him. hope he stays a ranger for a long time. so much heart in this little guy. 15 points in last 15 games is pretty good too.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
Zucc is finally playing like he was hyped when we first signed him. hope he stays a ranger for a long time. so much heart in this little guy. 15 points in last 15 games is pretty good too.

Yeah because the guy on a 1 million dollar contract amidst a team full of stupid contracts better be living up to the lofty expectations of him... :sarcasm:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Yeah because the guy on a 1 million dollar contract amidst a team full of stupid contracts better be living up to the lofty expectations of him... :sarcasm:

it was his 1st contract. he was pretty highly touted after his olympic performance. im not saying he better live up to it as much as its nice to see him playing the way we (at least i) hoped he would.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
it was his 1st contract. he was pretty highly touted after his olympic performance.

I'm really not sure there is a more polarized player amongst the fanbase in any nhl club. Most people have swayed now, but before the season - and during the first 7 games, he was either ready to be waived, waste of space, and european league quality at best. Or in the other camp: Makes everyone around him better, Few things if any are his fault.. etc.

The proof is in the fact that this is not his 2nd, but 4th Player Discussion thread. Kinda funny for a guy who has done nothing more than show potential - and brought an army of Norwegians who now spend money on Rangers jerseys.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I'm really not sure there is a more polarized player amongst the fanbase in any nhl club. Most people have swayed now, but before the season - and during the first 7 games, he was either ready to be waived, waste of space, and european league quality at best. Or in the other camp: Makes everyone around him better, Few things if any are his fault.. etc.

The proof is in the fact that this is not his 2nd, but 4th Player Discussion thread. Kinda funny for a guy who has done nothing more than show potential - and brought an army of Norwegians who now spend money on Rangers jerseys.

the fanbase was split over stupid stuff though. no one watched him play. they just saw he was small and hated him for it. however the new most polarized player is hank.

Pistachio

I love your mother
Sep 10, 2013
Where can I find his jersey? Is it sold out or something? Can't find it anywhere on the NHL shop.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Like I said before, good on Zucc for improving in the areas that he needed to. Looks like a new man this year. Love how he's playing with a chip on his shoulder.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I have been one of Zooks biggest supporters from the start but I do not remember Zooks fans predicting he would play/produce like this. He also has shown he is good on the boards and can be a solid PK man.

All along most of his fans said he would be able to produce at a .5ppg pace while his detractors said he would not be able to sustain that pace. I do not think most of us ever imagined a near point per game stretch like the last 20 some odd games nor that he would be near the team lead in points at this point in the season.

Since he was benched he has been one of our best forwards.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He is listed as an RFA at year's end, which is another big help.

Now, lets not overstate things, he has had an ample year on a very poor team. 50 points is what I'd expect from him if he wants to be an NHL starter (I did say he might breakout with 50+ this year). But he has taken steps in his game to increase his versatility, and I think 40-60 points a year could be valuable for a long time for a undrafted free agent.

It could also be that, as a playmaker and a very european style gamer, the team's poor play has cut down on what could be an even greater production. We'll see. I think 50 points is a good target for Zucc, he's been better than Stepan, Brassard at this point and not any worse than Nash, Callahan, Hagelin, and Richards.

Green Blob*

People seem to totally ignore this defensive part of his game.

After Callahan he could make a VERY good case among anyone else as being our best defensive forward out there. Nobody backchecks harder then him on the team and breaks up more plays. And did anyone think he would turn out to be a solid part of our PK unit when he first came to NA? I sure didnt.

He has improved that part of his game 10 fold since he first came to NA>

Cake or Death

I had a moment last night where I imagined him with an extra letter on the front of his jersey.

I'm getting there, too. He is definitely our best forward right now. Even on nights where the team is crapping the bed and throwing in the towel, he still plays hard and backchecks hard. It's really been a pleasure watching the dude play this season.

Pistachio

I love your mother
Sep 10, 2013
Let's not forget again that he negotiated on a lower salary so the rangers could retain Stepan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad