Confirmed with Link: Zubrus Unconditionally Released

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
IIRC, Zubrus and Marty were pretty much the only guys who showed up for that 2010 series (it feels like that was forever ago already).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
IIRC, Zubrus and Marty were pretty much the only guys who showed up for that 2010 series (it feels like that was forever ago already).

Kovalchuk was good that series too. Zach was good in some games, invisible for others. Same with Patty.

I didn't think Marty was so great. I don't have a vivid memory of his play that series, maybe the puck just wasn't hitting him. It's only a 5 game sample size and lousy numbers over 5 games doesn't always mean the goaltender (or any player) was particularly lousy. I think the PK might have been pretty bad that series too, I remember it not being very strong. I felt like he was played way too much and never seemed the same after January or February that season. That was his last season of playing upper 70 something games, his last season of ever breaking even the 60 game mark in a regular season actually.

I remember Marty being really good in game 4, we just barely tested Boucher and the team played lousy defensively that game. That might have been the worst game we played of that series, game 5 was close enough though.

I think this was the series that Jacques tried Colin White as the screen on the power play. Not that I blame him for shaking things up and trying something new, wasn't one of his finer decisions though. If it were up to me, I probably would scratched White after that series and then bought him out. I remember a couple horrendous gaffes from him during that series. I'm sure people claimed he was the best defenseman on the team that year, but I'm pretty sure that even his advanced stats were not very good for that season. At least not the best on the team. There was also the Colon's amazing work in that 09 Carolina series, including his very memorable sequence of events late in game 7.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

See... I feel like that was one of the series where Zubrus kinda faded to the background a bit. Marty and Kovalchuk are the two I think of when I think of that series.

I think this was the series that Jacques tried Colin White as the screen on the power play. Not that I blame him for shaking things up and trying something new, wasn't one of his finer decisions though.

My god...I had forgotten about that. Colin White was Lemaire's answer to Pronger being the screen on Philly's powerplay.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
See... I feel like that was one of the series where Zubrus kinda faded to the background a bit. Marty and Kovalchuk are the two I think of when I think of that series.

My god...I had forgotten about that. Colin White was Lemaire's answer to Pronger being the screen on Philly's powerplay.

Marty had one of the worst save percentages of any playoff series in his career that 2010 Flyers series, the 99 Penguins series was the only one worse. But every goaltender has went through a 5 game stretch of bad statistical play, where there actual play wasn't as bad as the numbers looked. Puck just might not have been hitting them and it's just a 5 game sample size, which isn't large enough.

It should be noted though that out of the 15 goals that Marty allowed in that series, 8 of them were PP goals against. Over half of the goals he allowed during that series were on the PK, which to me is more of an indictment on penalty killing than the goaltender's play. While I don't remember him being really strong that series, he was let down by some very poor penalty killing. That's close to 2 PP goals against per game. And I'm sure we were playing plenty of the twinkie and donut eating remains of Colin White on that PK, and I bet even the world renowned and legendary Mark Fraser saw some PK time in that series. I bet Mike Mottau did too. I forget if he even played a lot of PK back then? I'm sure he did after Oduya was sent off. Martin Skoula's ashes were probably used on that PK too. I think Pandolfo's frozen corpse was locked in a freezer for the entirety of that playoff series, so I can't blame him.

If I had it my way, I would have colon cleansed White and Pandolfo off to Antarctica after that 09 Carolina series.

I need to stop before this turns into a White bashfest. At least it's kept me saying positive things about Zubrus though!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We should start a pool on which player ends up on Bleed's **** list this season.:laugh:

Oddly enough, there's really no one I have a problem with on the team just yet. I don't really dislike Gionta like most people, I was actually his biggest fan on here years ago when he first came up. He also saved us from Eric Boulton that year in the playoffs! That was like a godsend.

I admit that I didn't like the Tootoo signing after last year's training camp, he kind of grew on me though. He shouldn't be in the top 6 again or top 9 though. And neither should Gionta, nor should he be playing center. Hopefully this new staff isn't as anal about handedness as DeBoer and Oates, I don't think anyone else in the league is.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not too high on Boucher or confident in him being NHL ready yet.

If Patty declines even further, I could see myself really souring on him. Since he's one of my favorite all time Devils, I would take it easier on him like I did with Marty up until the end of his last season with us. And if he stinks this year, we don't have to bring him back next season. It's not like he's contracted past this year, like Zubrus was supposed to be after last season ended. And I don't even think Patty was quite as bad last year as people made him out to be. And he was STILL (much to the main board's surprise I'm sure!) BETTER than the already in the hall of fame Shane Doan was, even in a bad year! The main board probably still can't believe that one. Or they're just gonna pretend it didn't happen, kind of like how Elias has already outplayed Doan for the rest of their parallel and respective careers.

I'm willing to give the new coaches the benefit of the doubt and in my opinion, I personally think this roster currently (if this is the finished product) is worse than any of DeBoer's rosters, maybe with the exception of last year when Zubrus, Ryder and Havlat all completely and simultaneously grenaded. So if we finish with as many points as we did with DeBoer's last few teams, they will have certainly did better than Pete.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Marty had one of the worst save percentages of any playoff series in his career that 2010 Flyers series, the 99 Penguins series was the only one worse. But every goaltender has went through a 5 game stretch of bad statistical play, where there actual play wasn't as bad as the numbers looked. Puck just might not have been hitting them and it's just a 5 game sample size, which isn't large enough.

It should be noted though that out of the 15 goals that Marty allowed in that series, 8 of them were PP goals against. Over half of the goals he allowed during that series were on the PK, which to me is more of an indictment on penalty killing than the goaltender's play. While I don't remember him being really strong that series, he was let down by some very poor penalty killing. That's close to 2 PP goals against per game. And I'm sure we were playing plenty of the twinkie and donut eating remains of Colin White on that PK, and I bet even the world renowned and legendary Mark Fraser saw some PK time in that series. I bet Mike Mottau did too. I forget if he even played a lot of PK back then? I'm sure he did after Oduya was sent off. Martin Skoula's ashes were probably used on that PK too. I think Pandolfo's frozen corpse was locked in a freezer for the entirety of that playoff series, so I can't blame him.

If I had it my way, I would have colon cleansed White and Pandolfo off to Antarctica after that 09 Carolina series.

I need to stop before this turns into a White bashfest. At least it's kept me saying positive things about Zubrus though!

Hah, I was already looking for the ES/PK splits as soon as you brought up Brodeur's sv%. :p: Brodeur was .915 at EVS that series and .800 on the PK.

This save from that series is one of my faves of all time, shame it couldn't have been put towards a better outcome.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hah, I was already looking for the ES/PK splits as soon as you brought up Brodeur's sv%. :p: Brodeur was .915 at EVS that series and .800 on the PK.

This save from that series is one of my faves of all time, shame it couldn't have been put towards a better outcome.

This is one of the only games I remember of Marty during that series, it was also one of his best playoff games between 2004 and 2010. He had a couple really good ones against TB in 07 and Carolina in 09 that might have been better, but this was definitely one of the better ones. He also absolutely had some really good ones in 2012, though this was one of his best between 04 and 10. That's for sure. That was our worst game of that series too, at least defensively. I'm pretty sure we were outshot by double in that game and barely tested Boucher.

And that PK was atrocious. It actually made 2012's look not as bad.

That was one of only about 3 positive highlight's that stick out for me from that series. That save from Marty, that ridiculous rush from Kovalchuk which unfortunately did not end up with a goal scored, and Zach's shorthanded goal.

Marty made a similar save to that one on Okposo in 11-12. It was actually the game I was at, that I spoke of earlier. With 4 Grabner breakaways (and an Okposo one which that Marty save came off on) and Kovalchuk being booed after his gaffe led to the game winning shorthanded goal by Grabner on his 4th breakaway of the afternoon. Haha didn't that game also end with a disallowed buzzer beating game tying goal from Parise? Because of a ruled distinct kicking motion? Hahahahaha. Come to think of it, I actually think Zubrus was a big part of that disallowed goal. I think he won the faceoff with like 5 seconds left or maybe he assisted on it. I forgot what happened with him, but I know he made a nice play somehow.

Last edited:

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
There was also the Colon's amazing work in that 09 Carolina series, including his very memorable sequence of events late in game 7.

white arguably cost the team the series against carolina in 06 but that entire series of events doesn't happen in game 7 that year if zach parise isn't fitted for a clownsuit by tim goddamned gleason

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

What did Kovalchuk really do against the Flyers, scored a 5-on-3 goal in a loss with a couple of secondary assists? Yippee. Zubrus I remember more cause of the dominant Game 2 he and Parise had when we actually won a game. Marty was pretty good for the first like three and a half games of the series before he finally said **** it, almost nobody else is trying either.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Zubrus' play that series didn't really show up on the scoresheet. I just remember him playing his ass off where some other players just seemed disinterested. The only thing I remember from Kovy in that series was this...

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Parise and Zubrus combined had as many goals and less points than Kovalchuk in that series. And that SHG that everyone loves so much was Parise's lone goal in the series. AND Kovalchuk wasn't a key cog in our garbage penalty kill like Zach and Zubrus were for most of the series.

But anyways, this is getting off topic. I understand that points aren't everything. And I'm not saying Zubrus was a playoff disaster, just that I think his praise is overblown a little.

GhostofKenKlee

And unfortunately because his career started all the way back in 1996, it probably led to him becoming cooked by 35. He was a very high mileage 1978 model, that's for sure. Same thing happened to Olli Jokinen the last couple years, though I believe he was drafted and came in the year after Zubrus in 1997?

Brendan Morrow was a little more of a lower mileage guy from that year (or 1979 actually), he didn't even make it to 1000 NHL career games and he was on par with Zubrus last season.

Kovalchuk was great during the 2012 playoffs (and one of the better players along with Zubrus in the 2010 abomination of a series against the Flyers), he only played 2 playoff years with us though.

Zubrus only had 1 point in that series, though his play particularly stands out to me as something positive that I remember from that year.

Kovy was good, Zach and Patty were okay, Rolston wasn't bad either that series. Langenbrunner had already turned into a gutless puke by that point, didn't he completely stop for like a whole shift just standing on the ice at one point? Colin White probably should have retired after that series, but hey! He did have one of his two playoff goals as a Devil that series! And Marty was already fried way back before the Olympics that year, due to being played in almost all of the games up to that point.

Up until the 2011-2012 playoffs, Zubrus did only have 3 points in 17 playoff games as a Devil. I remember the 2010 series he did some good things that didn't show up on the score sheet. I don't remember much from him good or bad in the 08 or 09 series though.

To be fair though, the 08 and 10 series were arguably two of the most embarrassing and pathetic playoff series in the last 20 years for the Devils. Of course the 09 series had the most horrible ending, the 01 SCF didn't have too much better of an ending. And the 02 loss to Weekes and the Canes and the 99 loss to Jagr (98 to Ottawa was bad too) you could make fair points that they were almost as bad. The 2010 series was some of the most uninspired play I've ever seen from a Devils team in the playoffs.

Lemaire cites that year, he had a bit of a mutiny/tune out. His quote was he got blank stares when asked how we can fix the team.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That Philly series was played almost entirely on the power play as far as I can remember. I remember games with like 8 power plays for each team.

devils61

Jan 8, 2007
hey guys,

Just thought you would like to know i met Zubrus at the Montreal Impact game this evening! still looked game ready. It did sink in that he was no longer a devil and that kind of hurt. Regardless a true Devil in his time with the club that will definitely be missed!

GhostofKenKlee

Zubrus lives up there, his wife is from Montreal (a model) he works out with a group of guys one of whom is Matteau.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00