Post-Game Talk: Zibanejad worst Ranger since.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Right. Even the bad teams have good players in the positions I identified.

Every roster is flawed. Having underperforming centers and defensemen playing huge minutes is not a typical flaw. Even bad teams have those positions shored up.

That's not to say there isn't more to it, but we can't expect to contend without upgrades at C and D.

now do Trouba *laughing up my sleeve*

Reactions: Captain Lindy

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm missing something. Why would Arizona want Lindgren?
You gotta make the playoffs again at some point. This summer and next is when they should be moving draft and prospect capital for legit NHL'ers to build an actual team to supplement their high end youth.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
You gotta make the playoffs again at some point. This summer and next is when they should be moving draft and prospect capital for legit NHL'ers to build an actual team to supplement their high end youth.
Lindgren is a RFA at this year's end and an UFA after next year. So either they think they can sign him long term or they are planning to compete for the Cup next year. I don't think either is a realistic possibility.

stratguy13

Dec 23, 2016
I will say this to everybody on here too and you guys can laugh like we do every few years but if this fails and the coach and GM are out next year, they better bring in Mess. If they bring in some clown, Sather is back at the helm, or they promote a guy like Ryan Martin, you all better start rooting for another team or picking up a new hobby. 80+ years and the only reason they have a Cup is because Messier had the stones and drive to win, win, win. He did it twice without 99. I have no doubt he'd make a solid executive here. He knows winners from losers. Don't think he doesn't sit there each day laughing and ripping players on this team for being gutless.
AMEN!! Ive been saying this for years

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Just because you bozo's have no sense of humor and can't appreciate the comedic genius of @will1066 doesn't make it not so. It's no wonder Robin Williams killed himself. :(

I'm following a funny thread at work. My boss is an idiot. But this might be even funnier. :laugh:

@hackeyman also, this is the first time anyone has called me a genius since my mother did at age 2, so it doesn't inflate my ego at all, no. lol

• Love
Reactions: hackeyman

stratguy13

Dec 23, 2016
Messier has a huge ego and is not of this time. He doesn't have experience in modern hockey. He wouldn't settle for anything less than POHO with full autonomy. It's a dangerous cocktail.

Hank having a front office role, I would absolutely be on board with.
You are clueless. The guy won 6 cups. How come Sakic and Yzerman were able to do it. You probably never even saw the guy play in his day. They won that cup because of him. He is on a pre game and post game show. He knows the game and what type players you need.It's mind numbing how you guys think he has no business being a GM.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
You are clueless. The guy won 6 cups. How come Sakic and Yzerman were able to do it. You probably never even saw the guy play in his day. They won that cup because of him. He is on a pre game and post game show. He knows the game and what type players you need.It's mind numbing how you guys think he has no business being a GM.
Then let him take the AGM role as GM of Hartford and see how he does.

I have no interest in moving him directly to king of the castle without some previous on the job experience.

We aren't the Islanders.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yzerman and Sakic both served as advisors to gain experience before taking over teams, which Messier would do if he were serious about it.

He wants the job title without the work.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
You have no idea how much I would love to tell him to go get some experience.

Being a captain is not being an executive. If he wants to be an executive, he has to go be an executive.

Patrick Roy is a fiery competitor and multi-time champion. He had to pay his dues at a lower level and then pay his dues again before coming back.

I don't care what he did as captain, Messier wanting to be named president for existing is lazy.
He was a lot more than just a "captain." He brought this perpetually loser franchise a championship. The words alone cannot convey how BIG that win was. It was a miracle and it would not have happened without him.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
He was a lot more than just a "captain." He brought this perpetually loser franchise a championship. The words alone cannot convey how BIG that win was. It was a miracle and it would not have happened without him.
Huh?

Why are we assuming these skills are transferable?

Would we want Neil Smith lacing them up for us with a 'C' on his chest because he helped build that team?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes. As a player.

Who's idea do you guys think it was to trade Amonte, Gartner, and Weight for old guys, many of whom played with Messier?

As a player, he's a Hall of Famer. As a captain, he wasn't afraid to get guys going. As an executive, you have to be good at team building. We've already seen that his idea of team building is grinders and giving his friends jobs.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Sakic and Yzerman had both won cups in the last few years before they retired. Sakic and Yzerman both took assistant positions within organizations immediately after retiring to continue learning and develop management/executive skills.

Messier last won a cup in '94. Messier last played a playoff game in '97. Messier on retirement did not take up a position within an organization and has not been involved in hockey in a meaningful way for the past 20 years (and if you asked Vancouver fans, a lot longer than that...).

All great players, but they went about their post-playing careers in very different ways

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Sakic and Yzerman had both won cups in the last few years before they retired. Sakic and Yzerman both took assistant positions within organizations immediately after retiring to continue learning and develop management/executive skills.

Messier last won a cup in '94. Messier last played a playoff game in '97. Messier on retirement did not take up a position within an organization and has not been involved in hockey in a meaningful way for the past 20 years (and if you asked Vancouver fans, a lot longer than that...).

All great players, but they went about their post-playing careers in very different ways

But he's on TNT

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
BTW, did Gus lose his spot on PP2? Last few times I thought I saw Trouba out there. However, PP1 stayed out almost the whole 2 minutes so it could be a case of them just going with Trouba/Miller because the power play was ending shortly.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Being a great player on the ice does not always translate to being great (or even good) behind the bench or in the front office.....and, as someone stated above, if you're not willing to put in the work to learn your craft, what good are you? From what I've seen, Messier wants to start at the top without any of the "grunt" work. That's a recipe for disaster.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
On a positive note... at least no Rangers were "granted leaves" the past two days.

The team isn't the only one dealing with this. On the broadcast, they mentioned Carter Hart leaving the Flyers indefinitely for personal reasons.

Edit: Ok, now that I dug a little more into it, it's not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad