Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad, 2nd to NYR for Brassard, 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
This is a weird move IMO. Always was a fan of Brassard and I know he and Methot are good buddies from their Columbus days/being local area guys.

They must have disliked that Zibanejad never seemed to come to camp ready. I also felt Zibby never had the fire in his belly. He seemed very passive.

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
Dorion's first awful move

Sounds more like Melnyk wanting to save some money in order to sign Hoffman. Zibby was due for another contract next year and Melnyk probably didn't want to spend on him. Yay cheap owner.

And for the record, I was never into Zibanejad. Too much hype and he didn't seem to take his game very seriously.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Wow. Quel Splash!

5 mil cap hit
signed through 2018-19 (3 more years)

Salary 5, 3.5, 3.5

I like the trade for several reasons. I think he is an immediate upgrade but his actual salary is pretty cost effective and known for the next 3 years.

Zib is on his last year 3.25 mil salary.

This trade make a lot more sense now.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well, this is a surprise.

Not sure how I feel about this. Seems like the kind of trade you make when you're cutting bait on a guy.

This certainly has the potential to save us money in the short term, though, depending on what his ask is going to be like next summer.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I like it

Turris/Brassard/Pageau is a bit on the small side but the smallest team in the league (Pens) just won the Cup... All 3 are excellent centers and Brassard is in his prime now. We won't have to wait after him like we were with Zbad.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
It's always about the money with this team, it's so insulting as fans that pay to see this team, buy merch, go see them in many different cities, it's just so annoying.

I don't like this deal, and not because Brassard is bad, I believe he is a better player than Mika right now, but what Mika has done at a young age is impressive he's flirting with Galchenyuk numbers. He has shown many glimpses of what he can be and he has a lot of time to reach this potential.

Welcome Brassard, and I wish you success, but I am disappointed we again cheaped out and I am disappointed we lose Mika.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Huge fan of Mika, but this makes a ton of sense.

Left handed centre, that should put up 60 points.

Mika likely gets a contract around 5M next season, which is fine, but when you have White and Brown in the pipeline, along with the need to re-sign Turris in 2 seasons, it would have been hard to swallow.

Local boy is a bonus.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah, upon further thought, I do not approve of this trade.

Zibby will most likely surpass Brassard's production this upcoming season, and is also 5 years younger.

This feels like a PK/Weber type of trade right now where we might gain some leadership and experience in the short term, but lose in the long term.

This is something I don't believe happening. I believe their production will remain the same give or take. Maybe Brassard even does more with Stone or Ryan on his wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad