Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad, 2nd to NYR for Brassard, 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I actually really, really, like Brassard. But now we have to hope that Zibby doesn't break out..... and not a fan of giving up the 2nd round pick

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
****ing **** mother****er is the initial reaction to this trade.

Is Zibby fat again? I believe he has a higher ceiling than Brassard, who is a 28 year old from the Ottawa Hull area.

******** *****!

PS: Brassard is a solid 2nd liner, Zibby has the potential to be a lot more than what we have seen in the Sens jersey. Something tells me that he failed his "physical" with Boucher's cronies going around meeting players to evaluate their physical fitness level in the off-season. A pure speculation out of my ass.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
This one is not sitting well with me for the moment. I don't understand it...
Really was expecting a breakout year for Zibby.

I figure with time I'll be excited about having Brassard.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
GREAT trade - good on Dorion. Everyone keeps talking about Zib's "potential". He has now been in the NHL for four seasons - he is who he is. We got the better player in the trade, so we definitely win the trade. Maybe Zib wakes up in NY, but I think he continues on as a guy who teases you with his potential, but who has limited hockey sense. On the positive side for Zib, plenty more DJ opportunities in NYC as opposed to Ottawa.

Oh, we also took on more salary in this deal, but everyone feel free to continue with the "Eugene won't spend money" meme...

Reactions: EpiPen

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
Huh.. I'm not sure what I feel. Most upset about the age difference right now.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Wow. Quel Splash!

5 mil cap hit
signed through 2018-19 (3 more years)

Salary 5, 3.5, 3.5

I like the trade for several reasons. I think he is an immediate upgrade but his actual salary is pretty cost effective and known for the next 3 years.

Zib is on his last year 3.25 mil salary.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I have been saying for a while zibby is the problem on our second line he doesn't play like a center

We just got a true center

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
wtf is this!!! I like Brassard, but I think we lose this trade. What is the point?

There's two possible reasons I think. Either:

a) The Sens don't think Zib has been very dedicated to his offseason conditioning, and considering this is a contract year they don't think he ever will.
or
b) The is an "internal budget" trade. Zib is in a contract year, Brassard is signed for three more years. If Dorion knows Eugene won't ever open up his wallet, Zib walks next offseason if he has a good year because he will ask for a long term contract over $5 million a year.

To be honest, with Melnyk, I would bet money on the second reason.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
GREAT trade - good on Dorion. Everyone keeps talking about Zib's "potential". He has now been in the NHL for four seasons - he is who he is. We got the better player in the trade, so we definitely win the trade. Maybe Zib wakes up in NY, but I think he continues on as a guy who teases you with his potential, but who has limited hockey sense. On the positive side for Zib, plenty more DJ opportunities in NYC as opposed to Ottawa.

Oh, we also took on more salary in this deal, but everyone feel free to continue with the "Eugene won't spend money" meme...

The actual cash is 3.5 I believe just in case anyone was wondering about the 5 mil cap hit and how much is cash owed

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
This one's just weird.
I agree we've all been arguing about DJ Zbad's potential... Though to be fair I think he's been on a steady increase towards it.

Brassard, I legitimately don't know what to think about. I don't watch many Rangers games and other than him usually having reasonable fantasy value - not sure of what he does on the ice.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Don't totally hate the move of Brassard-in Zibby-out, but the second? was it necessary? Yes I know it probably was or else I doubt Dorion adds it just to be nice.

With money in, it kinda makes me feel like another move could be coming...?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's a lefty so that helps. I think he will fit better with Hoff and Ryan too. The 2nd stings though.

You don't want to give away too many of those, but the truth is that most 2nd rounders never make the NHL. If that's what it took to make this deal, that's an easy throw in.

Here's a question - does anyone think that Zib's conditioning issues were going to get better as he got older, or worse? I'll take worse for $500, Alex...

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, upon further thought, I do not approve of this trade.

Zibby will most likely surpass Brassard's production this upcoming season, and is also 5 years younger.

This feels like a PK/Weber type of trade right now where we might gain some leadership and experience in the short term, but lose in the long term.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm in the camp that has never believed in Zibanejad's upside, and I think this is a good trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad