News Article: Zetterberg: I will probably not play until 2020/21

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The NHL shouldn't have approved the contracts if they thought they were outside the rules. It's that simple. To punish teams retroactively is ridiculous.

That said, I'm happy the biggest loopholes got fixed.

Under the old CBA that Zetterberg signed this contract under, Z just could've walked away and the Wings would't be hit by the recapture penalty.

I think it's only under the new current CBA that punishes them if he were too retire early, Personally i think it's a crock and isn't fair.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
There is couple reasons for him to get traded . 1 He deserve to play for Stanley cup. 2 It is time to be secondary player, consider his back injuries.3 It's going to takes probably about 4 more years just to make playoffs.4 I would like to see wings get extra late first rounder next year. 5 The most important thing about this team is complete rebuild have to be done. He just has no time to help this team

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
How is it "a cheat" when it was a 100% legal move? Every team is trying to circumvent the cap at all times, it is the league's responsibility to make it so they can't.

They dropped the ball, and several teams took advantage, which they legally had the right to do.

The league had no right to come back and punish those actions for something that was an oversight on their part, but they did anyways.

I don't know, this is one of those black and white things to me, I will never ever condemn a team for recapture, I think it was a complete BS move by the NHL.

If you're going to argue that GMs had the right to circumvent the cap, which the very wording of clearly implies that it's a cheat, then the league has every right to come back and punish them later. After all, it wasn't expressly in the last CBA that the NHL couldn't punish them later for it.

If you're fine with the cheat, okay. But it doesn't make it any less of a cheat. It's like when Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash competed to see who the better pony was and Rainbow Dash used her wings to win the competition. It was never expressly stated that she couldn't use her wings, but it was pretty damn clear that it was a cheat to do so.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Is it really a cheat if everyone else can do it, too? And the NHL approved the contract?

Like I said, I'm glad it's closed, but it's sooooo silly to punish teams after the fact. And as a result of how silly it is, a lifelong hockey player is now allergic to sports equipment.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you're going to argue that GMs had the right to circumvent the cap, which the very wording of clearly implies that it's a cheat, then the league has every right to come back and punish them later. After all, it wasn't expressly in the last CBA that the NHL couldn't punish them later for it.

If you're fine with the cheat, okay. But it doesn't make it any less of a cheat. It's like when Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash competed to see who the better pony was and Rainbow Dash used her wings to win the competition. It was never expressly stated that she couldn't use her wings, but it was pretty damn clear that it was a cheat to do so.

Yeah, we aren't going to agree here.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The NHL shouldn't have approved the contracts if they thought they were outside the rules. It's that simple. To punish teams retroactively is ridiculous.

That said, I'm happy the biggest loopholes got fixed.

Exactly.

The league fully approved these contracts. That was the time to address what they felt was cap circumvention.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Is it really a cheat if everyone else can do it, too? And the NHL approved the contract?

Like I said, I'm glad it's closed, but it's sooooo silly to punish teams after the fact. And as a result of how silly it is, a lifelong hockey player is now allergic to sports equipment.

Yes, it's still a cheat. And part of the problem is that a number of clubs couldn't do it because they simply couldn't afford to. I'm sure part of the reason the teams okayed coming back on teams like Detroit was because smaller market clubs were pissed. And rightfully so.

I've already said that I thought the league screwed up badly not coming down on these deals immediately, especially since they had the power to. At the same time, if news of the league being unhappy with such deals were making the press, you know there was a lot more talk behind closed doors, and it was probably a good deal blunter than what was said in public. I think it's something that sucks for us, but we shouldn't whine about it now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yes, it's still a cheat. And part of the problem is that a number of clubs couldn't do it because they simply couldn't afford to. I'm sure part of the reason the teams okayed coming back on teams like Detroit was because smaller market clubs were pissed. And rightfully so.

I've already said that I thought the league screwed up badly not coming down on these deals immediately, especially since they had the power to. At the same time, if news of the league being unhappy with such deals were making the press, you know there was a lot more talk behind closed doors, and it was probably a good deal blunter than what was said in public. I think it's something that sucks for us, but we shouldn't whine about it now.

The whole purpose of it was to lower caphits. And there was no drawback to the term because it disappeared if a player retired. So I don't see anything about it that made it prohibitive for smaller market teams. Buffalo gave one of those deals to Ehrhoff. Nashville gave one to Weber.

The fact that it wasn't utilized more does suggest there was at least some acknowledgement or fear (hard to know which) that they could be reprimanded, but I still think that was an unwarranted move by the league given it was their mistake that was exploited.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
I have no sympathy for these contracts for a couple of reasons:

1) They are so egregiously against the spirit of the CBA. If you have enough of these front-loaded deals, you can operate at 25-50% above the cap perpetually. Its obvious to anyone this is an unintended loophole and to pretend otherwise is operating in bad faith.

2) Strictly speaking, the team wasn't punished for the contract. If Zetterberg plays out the contract, nothing changes. The only change is the way the salary cap is calculated, which is a minor change compared to the last lockout which actually implemented the cap.

3) Even if the team continued to pretend they didn't know this contract was a workaround, the CBA offered them a compliance buyout to get out of it. The team didn't take it because the contract was still beneficial at the time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have no sympathy for these contracts for a couple of reasons:

1) They are so egregiously against the spirit of the CBA. If you have enough of these front-loaded deals, you can operate at 25-50% above the cap perpetually. Its obvious to anyone this is an unintended loophole and to pretend otherwise is operating in bad faith.

So you think the responsibility should be on the teams to refrain themselves from (perfectly legally) exploiting a mistake made by the league, as opposed to the league owning the mistake and putting a measure in place to prevent it happening moving forward (but not retroactively)?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Captain abdelgator

giphy.gif

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If the league actually truly cared about the recapture, they wouldn't let LTIRetirement be a thing.

They wanted to grandstand and make it a thing where they wagged their fingers at the bad bad owners and GMs that took advantage of the league's legal oversight of the loophole.

If they were worried about competitive balance and violating the spirit of the CBA, New Jersey wouldn't have gotten their penalty of a 1st round pick softballed into something less. They wouldn't let Pronger be traded around the league while working in the DoPS.

I'm just saying that the league has shown that their enforcement of the recapture has basically amounted to doing some roster juggling and just paying the money. And it's also pretty clear that there is no way that Nashville sees a quarter of the potential salary bomb from Weber's contract when he retires early because the league never wants to eviscerate a franchise.

That's why the retroactive stuff doesn't apply and why it's ridiculous. The league wants to grandstand and look strong as opposed to actually being tough on it.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
If the league actually truly cared about the recapture, they wouldn't let LTIRetirement be a thing.

They wanted to grandstand and make it a thing where they wagged their fingers at the bad bad owners and GMs that took advantage of the league's legal oversight of the loophole.

If they were worried about competitive balance and violating the spirit of the CBA, New Jersey wouldn't have gotten their penalty of a 1st round pick softballed into something less. They wouldn't let Pronger be traded around the league while working in the DoPS.

I'm just saying that the league has shown that their enforcement of the recapture has basically amounted to doing some roster juggling and just paying the money. And it's also pretty clear that there is no way that Nashville sees a quarter of the potential salary bomb from Weber's contract when he retires early because the league never wants to eviscerate a franchise.

That's why the retroactive stuff doesn't apply and why it's ridiculous. The league wants to grandstand and look strong as opposed to actually being tough on it.

Or perhaps the GMs should have known that CBAs don't last forever and started immediately circumventing the Salary Cap that required a lockout to implement.
And perhaps, they should have thought that 13 years contract that runs through the players 42nd birthday is a bad idea regardless of the rules, eh?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Or perhaps the GMs should have known that CBAs don't last forever and started immediately circumventing the Salary Cap that required a lockout to implement.
And perhaps, they should have thought that 13 years contract that runs through the players 42nd birthday is a bad idea regardless of the rules, eh?

The NHL when accepting the contracts established that they were okay. They then changed mid-stream. It isn't right, why didn't they chop all the contracts longer than 8 years during the last agreement. Surely that is a league rule.... Because that wasn't the agreement, it wasn't the rules they approved on the contract.

These should have been grandfathered, it is that simple. They always do that with rules changes, but they let some Owners get them here. It was a mistake. As has been how they have handled punishing it when actually called upon. I just don't care what the Wings and Zetterberg do here.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
The NHL when accepting the contracts established that they were okay. They then changed mid-stream. It isn't right, why didn't they chop all the contracts longer than 8 years during the last agreement. Surely that is a league rule.... Because that wasn't the agreement, it wasn't the rules they approved on the contract.

These should have been grandfathered, it is that simple. They always do that with rules changes, but they let some Owners get them here. It was a mistake. As has been how they have handled punishing it when actually called upon. I just don't care what the Wings and Zetterberg do here.

Maybe they should have been grandfathered, but I think it was a slap on the wrist for some"witty" GMs, who thought they could get away with anything.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe they should have been grandfathered, but I think it was a slap on the wrist for some"witty" GMs, who thought they could get away with anything.

And had recapture not happened not using that loophole would look even dumber. Hindsight is 20/20. Holland (as he should have been) was exploring every avenue possible to extend Z/Franzen/Kronwall as cheap as possible and keep the contender window open as long as possibe.

I'll criticize him for a lot of things, but that will never be one of them.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
And had recapture not happened not using that loophole would look even dumber. Hindsight is 20/20. Holland (as he should have been) was exploring every avenue possible to extend Z/Franzen/Kronwall as cheap as possible and keep the contender window open as long as possibe.

I'll criticize him for a lot of things, but that will never be one of them.

There is nothing hindsight about signing a 30 years old player to a 13 years contract.
Outside of Jagr and Howe, no forward has ever played at the level justifying that passed 36.
Let's see he how he does next season and the season after.

Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, all played on shorter contracts at the twilight of their careers,
while they could.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There is nothing hindsight about signing a 30 years old player to a 13 years contract.
Outside of Jagr and Howe, no forward has ever played at the level justifying that passed 36.
Let's see he how he does next season and the season after.

Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, all played on shorter contracts at the twilight of their careers,
while they could.

There is nothing hindsight about doing something pefectly within the rules only to have a rule come into effect 4 years later to retroactively punish it? Which is the only reason it is an issue. Okay.

Edit- with all the issues with this team has why are we even talking about recapture and Zetterberg???
Dude just had a season where he was top 10 in assists....

Last edited:

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Its outside the spirit of the game and defeats the purpose that the cap exists.

Its straight up filthy cheating. Sure I love my team winning. But cheating demeans the win. Giving your team an advantage another team cant access is cheating. Every team who chose to cheat (and all those that did, did it knowingly) were dealt their appropriate cards in hindsight.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
There is nothing hindsight about doing something pefectly within the rules only to have a rule come into effect 4 years later to retroactively punish it? Which is the only reason it is an issue. Okay.

Edit- with all the issues with this team has why are we even talking about recapture and Zetterberg???
Dude just had a season where he was top 10 in assists....

If Hossa wasn't on the circumventing contract, would Hawks have won 3 Cups?
It's more than just Hank.
Just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad