News Article: Zetterberg: I will probably not play until 2020/21

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Whole interview is behind paywall but mainstream media picked up some bits. http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/rQWPl/ar-uppenbart-att-man-forsoka-lura-systemet

- The only reason why we signed such a long contract was because of the salary cap. It's pretty obvious you are trying to cheat the system. I probably have two years left, but I have learned to take it one year at a time. But I will probably not play by then (2020/21 season, when the contract expires)

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Shouldn't really be a surprise, that's why the contract was structured the way it is, no real reason for him to play at 39/40 for 1m per year. I wouldn't even be that surprised if he hangs them up after this season depending on how things go.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Soon as he's making 1 million a year he's going to be real allergic to his equipment.

So I guess we have 2 years max of Zetterberg? Man, that hits home hard. End of an era for sure.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Soon as he's making 1 million a year he's going to be real allergic to his equipment.

So I guess we have 2 years max of Zetterberg? Man, that hits home hard. End of an era for sure.

After Zata, we don't really have anyone (assuming Kronners is already retired) that is a superstar or close to one.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hossa didn't play for 1 million and I don't think Zetterberg will.

Zeta has 7.0M - 3.35M - 1.0M - 1.0M left.

"I probably have two years left."

He is gonna play those bigger money years trough and then retire.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I thought the title was implying he was going to sit out the next two years and come back afterwards

was confused

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Strange that he tells this to media. Convincing the league that he's injured is going to be harder

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Strange that he tells this to media. Convincing the league that he's injured is going to be harder

Or we just eat the recapture....

2017-18 Zetterberg playing his 2nd last year = 6.1 million
2018-19 Zetterberg playing his last year = 6,1 million
2019-20 2018 or 2019 drafted 925k ELC kid + Zetterberg 5.1M recapture = 6.0 million
2020-21 Same 925k ELC kid + Zetterberg 5.1M recapture = 6.0 million
2021-22 ELC kid needing an 6.0M extension, Zetterberg recapture disappears = 6.0M

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
He's hoisted The Cup, worn the "C" and built a solid legacy. Forever a boss in Detroit. Nothing quoted here is a surprise. My assumption has been for the past 2 years that he will hang up the skates after the first season at LCA. Close the old barn, open the new and ride into the sunset.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
After Zata, we don't really have anyone (assuming Kronners is already retired) that is a superstar or close to one.

Also would no longer have anyone on the ice linking this team to the glory years. Hopefully this helps with the sentimentality aspect in terms of letting go so that this team can finally be truly rebuilt. I'm worried we're entering another Dead Wings era with how this team is shaping up relative to the league, and especially the rest of their division.

To be honest, I'd probably be willing to trade him at some point this season or next. If we're getting hit with the recapture either way we may as well get something that will really help our rebuild in the process. He's still elite despite his age and could do wonders on a team like Edmonton and push them over the top. He would bring a pretty good return.

But wouldn't be upset at all if he stays until he retires.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Maybe if we are forced to eat the recapture Holland won't be able to try and sign as many stupid free agent contracts and just focus internally.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah not surprising that he will hang it up in the next couple of seasons.

Z's last two seasons is only $1 million per each, Just can't see him playing for so very little.

Especially considering the poor guy will probably still be the #1 center and Blashill (if he's still coach) will still be trying to strap the team to his back.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

It's repugnant to even speak of Kronwall like that. Yzerman was the gold standard. Zetterberg is already second rate if we're going to conflate eras (and I love Z to death). Kronwall, by that measure (or any measure) is a blip on the radar of hockey history. It's been kind to him - history has - but a decade ago Kronwall was supposed to be at his peak and was even then a player incredibly prone to boneheadednesss. He's had less than a handful of years where he's even been a noteworthy stalwart. In other words, the era of any form of eliteness associated with the Wings ended long ago. Z speaking out about not fulfilling his contract has been a long-awaited formality but not much more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad