News Article: Zetterberg: I will probably not play until 2020/21

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The recapture penalty was dumb. Was Detroit given a warning from the NHL, prior to finalizing that contract? The Kovy contract was the straw that broke the camels back, but to go back and punish other back diving contracts with no warning was asinine.

This is a classic case of one person ruining it for everyone. Everyone listens to music during quiet hours, though technically against the rules is tolerated. Then one person blasts Metallica at 120 dB and now no one can listen to music during quiet hours.

Everyone in the NHL knew that there was a limit and took a risk by trying to circumvent it. Detroit/Chicago/Pittsburgh all kinda did it. New Jersey decided they should blast it at 120 dB and see if the NHL would do anything about it. Everyone got busted at that point. The real question now, and one I am very interested in is when does the LTIRetirements get the ax. The Hossa situation looks like the most egregious, how much further will it get pushed before they make players retire after so many months/seasons on the IR?

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
The real question now, and one I am very interested in is when does the LTIRetirements get the ax. The Hossa situation looks like the most egregious, how much further will it get pushed before they make players retire after so many months/seasons on the IR?

Chicago has gotten two gigantic free passes from the NHL now. One with Huet, which had they been forced to eat his deal would have pretty much derailed (or at the very least severely curtailed) their build up to their recent near-dominance... and now the one with Hossa, which is a veritable gift from the gods, cap wise.

I've got a roll of tin foil around here somewhere, and I'm pretty sure I still remember how to make a pretty dope fedora out of it.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

This is the sort of reality that many of us have witnessed over the past decade, so that's why it's been so difficult to watch Wings management go against the grain for so long.

It's like watching Matt Millen draft nothing but WR's as the Lions got worse every year. It wasn't until the Lions were well on their way to a perfect season at 0-16, setting the mark for futility, that dude lost his job. Millen was a likable guy, just like Holland. Detroit fans are suckers and keep showing up, regardless of the product. Those two factors make me worry about the future of the Wings.

So yea, article is spot on, but the only NHL GM not buying it is the precap darling Ken Holland. Let's see how it works out for him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Chicago has gotten two gigantic free passes from the NHL now. One with Huet, which had they been forced to eat his deal would have pretty much derailed (or at the very least severely curtailed) their build up to their recent near-dominance... and now the one with Hossa, which is a veritable gift from the gods, cap wise.

I've got a roll of tin foil around here somewhere, and I'm pretty sure I still remember how to make a pretty dope fedora out of it.

Also Tallon did huge favors for Stan Bowman to take Brian Campbell's and Dave Bolland's huge contracts to Florida etc.

Hawks organization has been, imo the biggest loophole user in latest years.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Also Tallon did huge favors for Stan Bowman to take Brian Campbell's and Dave Bolland's huge contracts to Florida etc.

Hawks organization has been, imo the biggest loophole user in latest years.

don't forget the huet contract they buried as well.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This is the sort of reality that many of us have witnessed over the past decade, so that's why it's been so difficult to watch Wings management go against the grain for so long.

It's like watching Matt Millen draft nothing but WR's as the Lions got worse every year. It wasn't until the Lions were well on their way to a perfect season at 0-16, setting the mark for futility, that dude lost his job. Millen was a likable guy, just like Holland. Detroit fans are suckers and keep showing up, regardless of the product. Those two factors make me worry about the future of the Wings.

So yea, article is spot on, but the only NHL GM not buying it is the precap darling Ken Holland. Let's see how it works out for him.

I don't care how pissed off you are about Holland, it is a ****ing embarrassment to compare him to Matt Millen.

Matt Millen HAD the draft capital in the NFL that the Wings have never enjoyed. He took a team that was 9-7,10-6 capable every year and made them a ****ing joke that was lucky if it won 6 games in a year and captained the ship to the only winless season in NFL history.

The Lions got worse and worse by leaps and bounds with Millen at the helm. It wasn't being locked into long term deals with poison pills in them or having a guy like Pavel Datsyuk up and leave and kick a 7.5M hurdle into your path that you need to move. He made them get worse by just bringing in guys who couldn't play football. Like how many Lions left the organization in the Millen era and played any role for any other team?

One is the worst GM in the history of any league. Another was at the helm for two championships, one of which happened after a seismic shift in how you had to build a team and a big part of the scouting department long ago when they drafted the guys that made the last 30! years of hockey something that finishing 10 points out of the playoffs is HOLY ****ING **** level of fireable offense and not a step towards success.

And how, exactly, is Holland not acting in terms of upping the pace?

Wings have speed to burn in the young kids coming up. The slow guys that they have had the last couple years? Z and Kronner who are locked in place by the punitive recapture rule, Ericsson who is locked into place by a contract that he signed before some catastrophic injuries derailed him, and Vanek who they had for under a year and got a draft pick for.

AA, Larkin, Helm are super speedsters. Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Svechnikov, Glendening, etc. are all good to very good skaters.

And the guys they've drafted... Hronek, Cholowski, Saarijavi, Bertuzzi, they're all those same kind of smooth skater prospects that you're looking for.

But yeah, the Wings just keep rolling out dinosaurs. They need time and they need some of the kids they have to work out, but it's just flat out ignorant to ignore that they've been trying to boost their team speed and ability.

Last edited by a moderator:

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
And how, exactly, is Holland not acting in terms of upping the pace?

Wings have speed to burn in the young kids coming up. The slow guys that they have had the last couple years?

I was referencing this part of the article:

"Now that most of the salary cap dollars are pushed to every NHL team’s premiere players (top 2 lines, top 3 Defensemen and a starting goalie), the middle class of the NHL is getting pushed out, often replaced by cheaper, lesser established, and younger players. Veteran players fight every day to keep their roster spot."

And yea, I know Holland isn't Millen, but now that his gift horses have almost all gone on to other things, his rebuild/retool plan has been beyond questionable. Sure, he has a long way to go, but when he spends years making moves that defy conventional logic (moves that most other NHL GMs are loling at), I can't help but cite some of the darker sports history in Detroit. I guess it helps me deal with the worst if/when it should happen.

I liked your response though. Bad thing is, Millen is a pretty likable dude. I want to hate him, but it's pretty tough.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
I don't see what the big fuss is, everyone already knew he was gonna go on LTIR in two years. He literally broke his back not that long ago, getting a doctor to say his long term health is in danger if he continues playing hockey won't be difficult. And like people just pointed out with the very lenient interpretations of the rules Chicago just got there's no way they are going to be stuck with that recap penalty.

I'm more worried as to what is going to happen to the team when he retires, last season he was the only one on the team that looked anywhere close to the elite players you build a stanley cup team around.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm more worried as to what is going to happen to the team when he retires, last season he was the only one on the team that looked anywhere close to the elite players you build a stanley cup team around.

Why worry us to become a bad team? Isn't it the right way to build a future contender? Be bad, draft high, and become good.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Why worry us to become a bad team? Isn't it the right way to build a future contender? Be bad, draft high, and become good.

There's multiple ways to be bad and some of them aren't a way out.

If you hobble your team with bad contract after bad contract, you'll never get out. You'll lack the flexibility to sign the free agents to fill the holes the team has. You'll lack the flexibility to sign young players that you've drafted to contracts they deserve. You can't just have a McDavid, you need a supporting cast. When you suck the wrong way and you lack that cast, you'll stay sucky.

Guess which way we're doing it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There's multiple ways to be bad and some of them aren't a way out.

If you hobble your team with bad contract after bad contract, you'll never get out. You'll lack the flexibility to sign the free agents to fill the holes the team has. You'll lack the flexibility to sign young players that you've drafted to contracts they deserve. You can't just have a McDavid, you need a supporting cast. When you suck the wrong way and you lack that cast, you'll stay sucky.

Guess which way we're doing it.

Our depth drafting has been good trough the years. We just don't have those "McDavids". Because of success and stability in the core.

When we hit the single one great player, or another at defence, the team is set instantly.

You all can be the doomsdaysayers in here, and waste your time for it, but that's how it goes when we get some luck.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Our depth drafting has been good trough the years. We just don't have those "McDavids". Because of success and stability in the core.

When we hit the single one great player, or another at defence, the team is set instantly.

You all can be the doomsdaysayers in here, and waste your time for it, but that's how it goes when we get some luck.

That should be AND a great player at defense, not or.

Wonder how long it'll take the Wings to get lucky enough to land a #1 Center and #1 dman with mid to late first round picks.

I don't think we're the ones wasting time here.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So the best argument for the Wings' current strategy is "get lucky". Twice.

Maybe the team should remove luck from the equation as much as possible. That's what most of us are asking the team to do. Increase your odds of success by making difficult decisions and not continuing to hamstring the roster with veteran contracts 3 years and longer.

This is simple stuff we've seen from sports teams across all leagues. We don't only need to reference hockey for our sample sizes.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You can't deny that getting lucky has been the recipe for success recently.

Edmonton was bad until they got lucky. Toronto had been building a couple nice pieces and then they got lucky. Those types of players aren't in every draft, Philly and Jersey got lucky by getting top picks but not to the extent of the others. A top player in 2018 is a franchise changing type talent someones gonna get lucky regardless.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You can't deny that getting lucky has been the recipe for success recently.

Edmonton was bad until they got lucky. Toronto had been building a couple nice pieces and then they got lucky. Those types of players aren't in every draft, Philly and Jersey got lucky by getting top picks but not to the extent of the others. A top player in 2018 is a franchise changing type talent someones gonna get lucky regardless.

how many nice pieces do those teams draft in the teens, though? That's where luck is being removed as much as possible. You always have to be lucky to get the right player in the right year, but the higher you draft the easier it is. Perpetually gunning for the playoffs with a mediocre roster is asking to be drafting in the teens a lot, imo. And then you're asking for a good bit more luck than drafting top5.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Ansar Khan‏ @AnsarKhanMLive 4m4 minutes ago

#RedWings Zetterberg said contrary to off-season report from Sweden he hopes to play out his contract (4 years) but health will determine.

Ted Kulfan‏ @tkulfan 3m3 minutes ago

Zetterberg says the reports of only playing 2 more seasons was overblown...wants to play 4 more years but health will be major key

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ansar Khan†@AnsarKhanMLive 4m4 minutes ago

#RedWings Zetterberg said contrary to off-season report from Sweden he hopes to play out his contract (4 years) but health will determine.

Ted Kulfan†@tkulfan 3m3 minutes ago

Zetterberg says the reports of only playing 2 more seasons was overblown...wants to play 4 more years but health will be major key

I'm guessing it's something like "If the team sucks and Blashill keeps playing me 20 minutes a night with an aching back, I'm out."

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm guessing it's something like "If the team sucks and Blashill keeps playing me 20 minutes a night with an aching back, I'm out."

I'm guessing it's something like, "The team plans on using LTIR so I have to pretend I ever planned on honoring this cap circumventing contract to play hockey for peanuts the last two years."

He even threw in the part about health being the major key. Smart. Very clever, Henrik.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I'm guessing it's something like, "The team plans on using LTIR so I have to pretend I ever planned on honoring this cap circumventing contract to play hockey for peanuts the last two years."

He even threw in the part about health being the major key. Smart. Very clever, Henrik.

You know if he hadn't of already admitted they were trying to circumvent the cap with his contract. While everyone might have known it, saying it brings more attention and issues.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Z doesn't really need an injury to bow out on LTIR, these days a crippling wool allergy is enough to do the trick. I only need to see wool socks and I start to break out in hives.

Only the special hypoallergenic blend of cotton and linen used in U.S. currency can soothe the savage itch.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Z can just say his back issues have flaired up again. There's an easy excuse to retire whenever he wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad